BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 X3
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just a general question on how the Central Gateway Module works... (In my case, it's a ZGW2).

Does the ZGW route all data on the KCAN1 network to the KCAN2, or is it selective? Are there any sources that could tell me what info is made available cross-network, if any?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,752 Posts
Hi! Just a general question on how the Central Gateway Module works... (In my case, it's a ZGW2).

Does the ZGW route all data on the KCAN1 network to the KCAN2, or is it selective? Are there any sources that could tell me what info is made available cross-network, if any?
BMW F25 X3 xDrive28i SAV / Electrical Components / Connectors / Components / Components with A / A51 Central gateway module /
Central gateway module
Central gateway module (ZGM)
The central gateway module (ZGM) links the main buses to one another. Examples of 'main buses' include FlexRay, MOST or K-CAN. This enables the Gateway function on the Central Gateway Module to exchange data between the various different bus systems.
When the diagnosis system is connected through the D-CAN (Diagnose-on-CAN), the central gateway module data requests from the diagnosis system to the internal buses. The response telegrams run through the process in the opposite direction.
Notice! The central gateway module does not always link all the existing main buses to one another
The central gateway module (ZGM) does not always link all the existing main buses to one another. Which main buses are linked by the central gateway module (ZGM) depends on the model year and the vehicle equipment.

·
Registered
2013 X3
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I now remember reading this entry at some point in the past. (Overloaded brain I guess 😄) My next step is determining what is linked across KCAN1 and KCAN2 in my US 2013 F25 it was (built 08/2012 and has CIC professional Nav HU, Park Assist, Surround View Camera System, but no Heads Up Display, or Lane Departure). The ISTA Control Unit Tree says my ZGW has KCAN1 and KCAN2 connections. Not sure where to get what info is passed from KCAN1 to KCAN2.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts