BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as many of you read, i was paced at 90 in a 55 on the Capitol Beltway in DC. typical traffic flow is ~75mph (which doesn't mean anything for my case), so drifting above the traffic flow can be quite easy in a smooth riding vehicle such as ours.

I just had a sobering meeting with my attny... good chance I'll lose my driving privledges for at least 6 months. There's a chance I can gain approval for to/from work driving after ~3 months. If I'm lucky, I'll avoid jail time. It's not uncommon to get 3-5 days jail for such offense. The financial costs don't bother me too much... I feel that's a reasonable punishment for the crime.

The punishment for the offense is as much as a DUI offense w/out quite the same social 'stigmatism'.

My purpose in this email is to remind everyone how easy it is to do this and how severe the consequences can be. I've slowed it down. Hope everyone else does the same.

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
54ODell said:
as many of you read, i was paced at 90 in a 55 on the Capitol Beltway in DC. typical traffic flow is ~75mph (which doesn't mean anything for my case), so drifting above the traffic flow can be quite easy in a smooth riding vehicle such as ours.

I just had a sobering meeting with my attny... good chance I'll lose my driving privledges for at least 6 months. There's a chance I can gain approval for to/from work driving after ~3 months. If I'm lucky, I'll avoid jail time. It's not uncommon to get 3-5 days jail for such offense. The financial costs don't bother me too much... I feel that's a reasonable punishment for the crime.

The punishment for the offense is as much as a DUI offense w/out quite the same social 'stigmatism'.

My purpose in this email is to remind everyone how easy it is to do this and how severe the consequences can be. I've slowed it down. Hope everyone else does the same.
Good attitude :) Thanks for the warning - first hand experience is effective.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow...I'm glad I don't live in Virginia - the traffic laws are so strict! If you had that done that in Colorado, you would've just got a 6-point ticket, it's a class 2 traffic midemeanor. Max penalty is 90 days in jail but that's highly unlikely, my friend got one of those and it was reduced to 1-point with driving class and $80 fine...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hopefully your outcome will be better than your prognosis. That's pretty harsh. :thumbdwn:

I'll keep your warning in mind the next time I'm tempted to open it up perhaps a bit more than prudent.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow looks like i lucked out. I was going 97 in a 65 in NH. I live in MA. I fought the ticket, which was a must appear, no money amount at all. I ended up paying $216 instead of 500 and a 30 day loss of license. I ended up getting 1 point on my MA license which went away already since it has been over a year. I stay well below 90 now.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'll def have to watch out when going through VA.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
what's wrong with this world when a man can't enjoy his car? jk

i've gotten hit going 80 in a 55 on the NJ Autobahn (Turnpike). i had a roommate who's a cop and my attitude to them has been more friendly when engaging them in these situations and that 80 in 55... he just said drive slow and have a nice day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not saying your attorney is wrong, but let me put it this way, I'd be surprised if he were right.

I live 3,000 miles from Virginia and know nothing about its traffic laws and their enforcement. But I'm an attorney, and I know attorneys.

It sounds like he's playing mind games with you. You're already scared that you will lose your license -- so he's giving you reasons to be even more afraid. Why? So he can charge you more. He's painting a picture of a horrible fate.

But In the end, he'll "miraculously" save your license. You'll think that your sharp lawyer did a great job. You'll be so grateful that you'll pay whatever he asks, even if it's a shockingly large amount. After all, what's an extra $2,500 compared to the loss of your license for six months? He saved your tail! You'll recommend him to all of your friends.

And in the meantime, he can continue to engage in all kinds of "negotiations with the prosecutor," etc., which will allow him to run up your bill even more.

Again, I do not practice in traffic court, and I have only set foot in the state of Virgina once. But my impression of traffic court is that the pealties are pretty much set in stone, there is really nothing that an attorney can do to help you. The penalites are pretty much set, i.e. 40 mph over the limit gets you X, 30 mph gets you Y, etc.

It is often a good idea to hire an attorney -- the judges, who were once lawyers themselves, sometimes give preferential treatment to defendants with lawyers. The system should not work this way, but unfortunately sometimes it does. But there is really nothing that your lawyer can actually do for you, other than show up in court at your side. That stuff about challenging the admissibility of the radar gun's speed report is all BS, the courts have heard it a million times and it never works.

But I am quite certain that your attorney already knows exactly what your penalty will be -- because remember, they are set in stone, everyone in traffic court, the judges, defense attorneys, prosecutors, and police all know the drill -- and that he will not be performing any legal research, conducting any "negotiations," or calling in any "favors" with the prosecutor. What he will do is figure out exactly how much money he can get out of you. He thinks that the more afraid you are, the more you are likely to pay him.

·
Registered
119 Posts
VA must be terrible place to speed. I got a 90 in a 55 ticket in rural IL and with attorney fees it cost me $250 with no supervision. Ticket was from a state trooper.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Joe Schmoe said:
I'm not saying your attorney is wrong, but let me put it this way, I'd be surprised if he were right.

I live 3,000 miles from Virginia and know nothing about its traffic laws and their enforcement. But I'm an attorney, and I know attorneys.

It sounds like he's playing mind games with you. You're already scared that you will lose your license -- so he's giving you reasons to be even more afraid. Why? So he can charge you more. He's painting a picture of a horrible fate.

But In the end, he'll "miraculously" save your license. You'll think that your sharp lawyer did a great job. You'll be so grateful that you'll pay whatever he asks, even if it's a shockingly large amount. After all, what's an extra $2,500 compared to the loss of your license for six months? He saved your tail! You'll recommend him to all of your friends.

And in the meantime, he can continue to engage in all kinds of "negotiations with the prosecutor," etc., which will allow him to run up your bill even more.

Again, I do not practice in traffic court, and I have only set foot in the state of Virgina once. But my impression of traffic court is that the pealties are pretty much set in stone, there is really nothing that an attorney can do to help you. The penalites are pretty much set, i.e. 40 mph over the limit gets you X, 30 mph gets you Y, etc.

It is often a good idea to hire an attorney -- the judges, who were once lawyers themselves, sometimes give preferential treatment to defendants with lawyers. The system should not work this way, but unfortunately sometimes it does. But there is really nothing that your lawyer can actually do for you, other than show up in court at your side. That stuff about challenging the admissibility of the radar gun's speed report is all BS, the courts have heard it a million times and it never works.

But I am quite certain that your attorney already knows exactly what your penalty will be -- because remember, they are set in stone, everyone in traffic court, the judges, defense attorneys, prosecutors, and police all know the drill -- and that he will not be performing any legal research, conducting any "negotiations," or calling in any "favors" with the prosecutor. What he will do is figure out exactly how much money he can get out of you. He thinks that the more afraid you are, the more you are likely to pay him.
and then there's loopholes.

in NJ, there's a infraction you can plea instead of speeding: failure to observe posted signs. 0 points but carries a $275 fine (i think). my buddy knew about it since he's a cop but the girl before me hired a lawyer to plea the same. yeah, i agree that it's a scare tactic but for those that don't know, what the lawyer and the judge was saying back and forth was like Klingon to the poor girl. to me, it was just the same jargon... blah blah this.. yes... blah blah that.. thanks your honor.. blah blah *bang* next!

PS: i love your SN!!! :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I have been pretty lucky in the T dot. When I got the car a few months, I was ripped my 5 to 210km/hr right away, mind you my little Honda topped @ 220 km/hr, so I was experienced. All last week, I would tap it occasionally, and get to 180-190 km/hr for just a second either on the 407 or the 401. Here in Canada, anything over 50km/hr is a court date.

Slowing down

·
Norwegian
304 Posts
Thanks for the reminder! I also live in Arlington, VA and just getting my BMW here after coming from Norway is an experience. I had my first "cruising" together with a V70 T5 yesterday and I guess I should be reminded how bad it can become (even though USA has less punishment for violations than Norway, but there we all drive 520i's because they're expensive enough)

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's tough, man

Hey,

Wow, that's tough man. I know that in my car 3, 000 RPMs in 6 means 100mph. These cars really do fly on the highway. By far, when I'm driving the Bimmer, I actually watch the speedometer. The other cars I drive and own--not an issue, lol.

Good luck getting everything reduced to an acceptable and fair level.

Stay cool.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
54ODell said:

That sucks. I know you broke the law, but that penalty seems excessive. Although your speed classified you as 'reckless', it does not sound like you were driving recklessly.

As I've said before, I've seen lots of reckless behavior within the speed limit. Speed itself is just a small factor in what constitutes safe, responsible driving.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
aw/ir02smg said:
all the best 540dell, keep us posted. bummer. maybe with all the gas u save form not being able to drive you can pay for the stage 2 vf when it comes out :)

jack
Jack,

I like the way you think! I'm sure there's a reason for this. ;)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joe Schmoe said:

I wish you were correct on the above, however, we've already established my flat rate unless we try the case before jury. He's already told me that despite being an insider, the is little he can do because as you said, the penalties are pretty much set in stone.

I happen to believe that he was doing proper expectations mgmt... VA is tough!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts