BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn it! The IR touch up paint I got to fix little chips on my IR 330 is noticibly darker than the factory paint. Did I miss an important step in preparing it? I shook it like hell, and it seemed well mixed. Perhaps it slowly becomes lighter... :confused: Any tips by people that have used the BMW paints (especially IR) before? FWIW, it is labeled as Imola Red II, which presumably is a newer shade of IR, used on the newer cars. Mine is a 2004 model, and Circle BMW used the VIN to match shades.

:mad:

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,348 Posts
Sounds lilke you got the right paint, 405 Imolarot II. I just realized it has an expiration date, mine is 01/09. I have not notice any shade difference between it and the original paint.

Scratch repairs are almost impossible to make invisble. I saw a demontration at a BMWCCA club event of this product call LANGKA and the touch up areas virtually blended into the original paint. Even when applied to old touch up areas it worked. According to the guy doing the demo there is really no need to ever use the clearcoat provided on a small touch up area.

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on that product! I've been proceeding with the method detailed in the sticky at the top of this forum, with wet sanding the area using ultra-fine grit paper on a pencil eraser. So far it seems to be doing well, except for the difference in shade. I need to add a bit more paint, so I'll try shaking it a bit more. Maybe I didn't quite get some of the solids off the bottom of the bottle.

The Langka doesn't have any pigment in it, right? It's just a chemical solvent that removes the blob and smoothes the finish? Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,348 Posts
RSPDiver said:
The Langka doesn't have any pigment in it, right? It's just a chemical solvent that removes the blob and smoothes the finish? Or am I missing something?
Langka is chemical that softens the paint to allow you to flatten out the paint surface. One of the reasons that keeps some of these small repairs visible is that the blob reflects the light differently from the surrounding surfaces. Flattening the blob addresses that issue.

Also please note that good body shops do not necessarily just spray paint out of the can. They will color match the paint on your car. While not noticeable to you paint on you car does start to fade beginning with day 1. This may not be so obvious until you compare side by side to new paint. I am not saying that this may be your case but something to keep in mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.