BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - in May 2020 BMW discontinued their German Delivery Program. Naturally I finally wanted to use it with my next new 5 series. Has anyone looked into doing the deal and shipping it home to the USA yourself? Is this viable? Opinions and recommendations highly appreciated.

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,406 Posts
Hello - in May 2020 BMW discontinued their German Delivery Program. Naturally I finally wanted to use it with my next new 5 series. Has anyone looked into doing the deal and shipping it home to the USA yourself? Is this viable?
In a word: No.

What you are contemplating is a form of grey-market importation and is effectively banned by Federal law.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a word: No.

What you are contemplating is a form of grey-market importation and is effectively banned by Federal law.
Thank you for educating me. In researching what you said , I looked up the grey market or parallel imports... says “Gray market goods – also known as parallel imports – are typically defined as “genuine branded goods obtained from one market (i.e., a country or economic area) that are subsequently imported into another market and sold there without the consent of the owner of the trademark.” (INTA).” I am not looking to sell it once I get here, but further reading indicates the warranty might not be valid.....

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,406 Posts
It's not a question of (re-)sale (note I said "a form of") and you are not the first one to seek loopholes in the barriers. Whether the warranty will be honored is moot.

The only way to avoid all the Federal hassle is to buy a model that meets all Federal regulatory requirements (including safety and emissions equipment) and is offered for sale on US soil. The only way BMW AG will sell you such a vehicle is in the US, through its official US importer, BMW of North America (BMW NA). They will not sell a US-spec vehicle anywhere in Europe (with the exception of, I believe, US military personnel stationed abroad); such cars are equipped as legally required for their respective markets. So you cannot replicate that aspect of the program (buying a US vehicle for use in Europe, albeit temporarily).

If you buy a European vehicle and try to ship it here, it will be impounded/seized at the port of entry (if you can get it that far) because it does not comply with NHTSA and EPA regulations. It would have to be converted to US trim at prohibitive expense, assuming you're even able to successfully clear all the formidable legal barriers erected to prevent you from doing exactly that.

Thirty-plus years ago, some very well-connected and well-funded parties--basically, official importers of foreign-made vehicles, led by Mercedes Benz--joined forces and successfully lobbied Congress to block importation of vehicles by private parties, including for personal use. Simply stated, the practice was becoming popular, it was cutting into their business, and they wanted it stopped. They won. With extremely limited exceptions--none of which extend to a daily-driven new 5 Series--private imports are now effectively banned, as I said.

If you want to experience European Delivery (ED), your present options are to buy a different brand (the Porsche and Volvo programs are still alive, IIRC) or call/write BMW NA to express your displeasure at the program's demise. Be sure to let them know you bought from a competitor specifically because BMW ED was not available.

Until BMW NA believes they are losing enough sales to justify bringing back the program, they have no incentive to do so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have tried once, and it was successful. It is essential to reach out to german delivery companies, not American ones. They think way more about the quality of the delivery for their brands, and they care a lot for the satisfaction of their customers. I can affirm it because I was happily surprised after using Sendungsverfolgung Post. I know it seems better to have a shipper from your own country, but when you look up to receive something extremely pricy, you count all the pluses and minuses to conclude.

·
Super Moderator
3,797 Posts
If you can somehow convince US customs that you are a foreign resident or a foreign resident with US citizenship, you can bring a German spec car into the US but you have to export it before one year or have it crushed. 360 days of use isn't much.

One can eventually import the car into Canada without modifications after the car is 15 years old and into the US without modifications after the car is 25 years old. That would mean buying an old car or having a second home overseas and using it for many years first.

If someone really wanted a German spec car, it might be worth looking into other countries that would allow such car. Maybe Mexico or a Central American country? I wonder if one could drive a Mexican car in the US for most of the year and then bring it back to Mexico once a year?

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
I have tried once, and it was successful. It is essential to reach out to german delivery companies, not American ones. They think way more about the quality of the delivery for their brands, and they care a lot for the satisfaction of their customers. I can affirm it because I was happily surprised after using Sendungsverfolgung Post. I know it seems better to have a shipper from your own country, but when you look up to receive something extremely pricy, you count all the pluses and minuses to conclude.
You tried what once?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.