BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharon and I are both learning german in preparation for our May trip to Munchen.
I have used all the standard internet tools to learn about german language films.
I've seen some that I would like but haven't found too many that we would both like.
Any recomendations for a light fun romantic comedy?? Peferably filmed in Munchen.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You will both love the Romy Schneider SISSI films.....there's a full collection available, see:
http://www.amazon.com/Sissi-Collection-Romy-Schneider/dp/B000RXZIJS

A couple of customer reviews on that site may interest you:

This series was my original German "teacher" after I had moved to Munich several years ago, not knowing anything but "danke" and "bitte". Wathching these movies not only helped in building my language skills, but also gave me a true love of the beauty of Bavaria and Austria and a true sense of the pride the inhabitants have in their regions. I wish we had more access to "original language" films from the earlier days of filmmaking and less of the junk we Americans manage to produce today.

A great movie for those who know German and/or are currently studying the language and culture. Also, a great movie to watch if you are curious about where your ancestors came from. A must for any international DVD collection.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
That is rather an advanced technique for learning a language, eh?

How much German do you know?

For starting with the basics of a language, your local library will have books, tapes, and video that will get you a good start on a new language.

If you can actually speak the language, meetup.com is a good way to find fellow speakers of a language (works best in large cities though). There would be people at the meetu-up that would be able to coach you and answer questions.

Podcasts can be helpful. There are a lot of language podcasts that can help prepare for a trip (at various levels of understanding). That is probably your best bet. http://www.schlaflosinmuenchen.com/ has a slow spoken German podcast for learners.

For movies, Run Lola Run is an interesting one (not in Munich). It has the benefit of roughly repeating itself 3 times; the repetition can help in learning words and phrases that you didn't catch the first time. The conversation is fairly casual and the movie is relatively easy to find (compared to other German movies)

·
The One who Drives.
880 Posts
Sharon and I are both learning german in preparation for our May trip to Munchen.
I have used all the standard internet tools to learn about german language films.
I've seen some that I would like but haven't found too many that we would both like.
Any recomendations for a light fun romantic comedy?? Peferably filmed in Munchen.
Not much of a comedy, but a great one, "Lola Rennt" or "Run, Lola Run" in its original. Highly recommended. I also like to watch movies with English subtitles... that helps lotsa... Other than that, I do not recall any movies, that in particular stuck in my head, other than animated Benjamin Bluemchen and others...

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
This thread covers it and I would add Das Leben der Anderen (won best foreign film Academy Award recently)

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
Erm.. you're not actually using movies to learn a new language, right sno duc? They're just a supplement to actual study? It's been my experience that people who use shortcuts to learn a foreign language wind up not using it at all on their trip because they have no actual facility with it, or else getting embarassed when they try.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are using rocket and speak in a week german programs. The films are just a supplement. After awhile you need a break from the drills, thats why I asked about comedy's. Things that make you laugh tend to stick.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
We are using rocket and speak in a week german programs. The films are just a supplement. After awhile you need a break from the drills, thats why I asked about comedy's. Things that make you laugh tend to stick.
I would watch ,,Goodbye, Lenin`` and ,,Lola Rennt`` at a minimum. They will make you laugh.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I would watch ,,Goodbye, Lenin`` and ,,Lola Rennt`` at a minimum. They will make you laugh.
+1. Start with those two.

They are both good movies, are up to date (i.e. are not set 70 years ago), and "Goodbye, Lenin" is hilarious. You'll miss half the jokes if you aren't German, but its still hilarious.

Knocking on Heaven's door is one of the funniest German movies I have ever seen, but I don't know if it ever got translated to English subtitles.

If you are still looking, the movies directed by Caroline Link are great, but I don't know their English names. Those are more drama's than comedies. For more, "the princess and the warrior" is an option for Franke Potente fans. The Sophie Scholl movie is set in Munich, but is about as uplifting as a trip to Dachau.

Its hard to find good German movies in the US that aren't WWII based, and Nazi movies are not going to do much for your day to day language skills.

sno_duc, I agree - although film watching isn't a the best learning tool for beginners, it does give you the rhythm of the language (and culture), is a wonderful break from studying tapes and books, and will possibly show you how the things you are learning are used in everyday life.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
There is a Rainer Werner Fassbinder DVD box set with "Die Ehe der Maria Braun (1979) ["The Marriage of Maria Braun"] and others if you want an intriguing view of "the post-war miracle".

I don't know if you can find German-language versions of "All Quiet on the Western Front" (1930) (novel "Im Westen nichts Neues") or "Three Comrades" (1938) (novel "Drei Kameraden"), but it would be hard to beat Erich Maria Remarque for classics.
The latter one has great cars (a Lancia IIRC) and the screenplay was written by F. Scott Fitzgerald, among others. Maxwell Anderson did the adaptation for "All Quiet...".

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
"Mostly Martha" is the original version of the American copy "No Reservations." My wife, daughter and I found the movie very enjoyable and it gave us an opportunity to pick up some words and phrases here and there.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
+2 on Goodbye Lenin . If you rent nothing else from this thread, get this one.

+1 for Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others) 2006. Oscar winner. Set in Berlin. Not a comedy.

I have a few more to add. None are comedies. . .

Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle -- The Enigma Of Kaspar Hauser 1975 -- . The dialog is good for someone learning German. If you've had a few months of German, you will be able to understand much without the sub titles.

Angst Essen Seele Auf -- Ali: Fear Eats the Soul -- 1974. Once again there is dialog that is easy to follow. Filmed in Munich.

---

Warning, these are not light happy movies. I'd rate all of them as must see:

Sophie Scholl Die letzten Tage (2005) Set in Munich.

Der Neunte Tag (The Ninth Day) 2004 Dachau.

Der Untergang (Downfall) 2004

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Warning, these are not light happy movies. I'd rate all of them as must see:

Sophie Scholl Die letzten Tage (2005) Set in Munich.

Der Neunte Tag (The Ninth Day) 2004 Dachau.

Der Untergang (Downfall) 2004
You left one off the list.

Thoes "must see" films are more for WWII history buffs. Not the kind of film everyone would be attracted to. Certainly educational history, but rather dry for language training. I hope your trip isn't like one of those movies!!!

Der Untergang (Downfall) 2004 is based on the diaries of Hitler's secretary (Traudl Junge). If you get a chance to see that documentary, you can get the story straight from the horse's mouth - without the Hollywoodesque drama.

Im toten Winkel - Hitlers Sekretärin (2002)
... aka Blind Spot. Hitler's Secretary (International: English title)

For trip planning, start with "Goodbye Lenin". :)

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
A current Austrian film is one of the best I've ever seen:

REVANCHE

(revenge)

and even nominated as "Best Foreign Language Film" Oscar 2009

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Das finde ich sehr gut! Viel Erfolg weiterhin. Leider weiß ich keine Liebeskomödie, aber diese Krimi-Serie: Derrick

Diese wurde 1975-1998 in München produziert und in über 100 Länder der Welt (leider außer USA) verkauft.

Derrick fährt immer BMW!

·
Registered
251 Posts
See "The Lives of Others" (2007). One of the best films I've ever seen. It's about the
East German secret police during the 1980's. It's in German (subtitles if you want). A compelling story that deserves watching. Not some brain dead action flick, but something that is thought provoking, suspenseful and surprising. Noticed you live in AK. I lived in Anchorage for many years and miss it very much. There is no place like AK. Have a great trip.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
If you are willing to include TV, one of our local PBS stations runs International Mystery from MHz. The German language entry is "Scene of the Crime" about detectives in Dusseldorf. :thumbup:

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Danke. Wir verwirklichen diese 4 Monate uns nicht fließend bilden, wir hoffen, die Grundlagen zu umfassen
Ich wünsche gute Fortschritte! Weiter so.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ich verstand über Hälfte Ihres Pfostens, musste die andere Hälfte oben schauen. Aber das ist, wie Sie erlernen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts