Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My four years of high school German and half-semester of college German have apparently faded. What a shame...I'd love to brush up.

Anyway, I know that the word "Auto" is neuter in German. Thus, one would talk about "das Auto." Is it correct, then to refer to a specific car as "das M3?" Furthermore, what happens when you speak in the possessive? I get confused on this part. Is it still "mein M3?" "Ja, das ist mein M3." "Ich habe ein M3." "Ist das Seine M3?"

Are there any German residents out there? Do people in Germany ever speak about their cars in the feminine or masculine, like some fanatics might do in the US?

·
Registered
319 Posts
as i recall another word for car is der Wagen, so I don't imagine you could go wrong no matter how you said it. But, like you I'm working off of high school/college german:dunno:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Hope this helps.

The German word for auto is neutrum (das) but when you refer to a specific model or makes (ie 325i / BMW /M3) it is always masculine, that's why the Artikel is 'Der'.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aha! Thanks for clearing that up. But how does it work in the possessive? Is it "meiner M3?"

T

·
0 Posts
___lk___ said:
i think i've seen bmw print ad's in '99 referring to "der neue 3-er", so i guess it's masculine. :dunno:
"Neue" would indicate feminine not masculine

Were it masculine, it would read "neuer".

And for some reason, "Neuer M3" sounds right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts