BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I bought a 2012 550i m sport yesterday ***x1f642;. I noticed the first thing on Carfax is that the car was imported from Germany. I was wondering if there's any difference between the German spec and NA spec??? or it's the same car exactly??. Couldn't find any info about it anywhere.

·
Registered
695 Posts
There are differences between cars depending on the destination country. To my knowledge there are no F10s built in NA. They are all imported from Europe. My retired F10 was from Germany.
The differences are in the standard and optional equipment. Even Canadian and US cars are different.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
There are a bunch of little differences based on regulations and environmental conditions. Most tires on U.S. and Canadian spec' cars are stamped with "US AND CANADA ONLY," presumably because they don't meet all the legal requirements for Europe. The radios are different. The headlights and tail lights are different than in Europe. The Middle East BMW's get special tinted glass because of the heat and intense sunlight.

I factory order all of my cars with the rule that they are not cosmetically prepared (washed by some minimum-wage moron who scratches up the paint). That leaves me with a bunch of goodies still in the car when I pick them up. One of the goodies for Frau Putzer's 2018 G01 X3 is the "broadcast sheet," a list of all the external and internal options on the car. There are 65 of them, not including the engine, paint color, and upholstery color. Two of the interesting ones are 823 (Hot Country) and 842 (Cold Country). There's also 0PN (Paint North). Option code 493 (Storage Pack) is likely because customers in North America love our cup holders. There's 212 (National Brake System).

There was a Ford final assembly plant in the town I grew up in. They made F-150 pick-up trucks there. For a long time, all of the output from that plant were sold in southern and southwestern states. So, they saved a little money on each truck by cutting back on the rustproofing on those trucks. Later, they consolidated F-150 production there with trucks built there being sold up north. and they started putting better rustproofing on all the trucks made there.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
Hello there. I bought a 2012 550i m sport yesterday ***x1f642;. I noticed the first thing on Carfax is that the car was imported from Germany. I was wondering if there's any difference between the German spec and NA spec??? or it's the same car exactly??. Couldn't find any info about it anywhere.
BMW manufactures certain models at specific plants all around the world...then they are built/optioned/shipped to their final destinations. The BMW So Carolina plant now only builds the X3, X4, X5, X6, and new X7 models (used to build 3 series briefly when first opened)...then ships them around the world and they come off the assembly line optioned with the requirements for the market it will be sold.

You can use a VIN breakdown chart to determine where the vehicle was manufactured...and what plant it was manufactured at etc. If I'm not mistaken, all 5,6,7 series BMWs are manufactured at the Dingolfing, Germany Plant...then shipped off around the world to their specific market...which will have its own specific build options and requirements etc. For example, cloth seats aren't even listed as an option in the USA market...but BMW does make cloth seats for the 5 series.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
They've opened a G01 X3 assembly line in China. Ours is a 2018, but I got a 2019 X3 loaner a few months ago, with the window sticker in the car. The 2019 had a lower German and U.S. Canada parts content than ours did. I suspect the 2019's have more parts made in China than the 2018's. My wheels and front license plate holder (not installed because I live in one of the 19 more civilized states) are made in China.

I bet that a lot of the BMW's sold in Russia are assembled there. Russia, like China, had restrictions on car imports and requires foreign manufacturers to partner with a domestic company to assemble cars there. Those Rooskies love their X5's and X6's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts