Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speed is showing the german touring car series and it's all merc's and audi's? Why no BMW cars?

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
sicks said:
Speed is showing the german touring car series and it's all merc's and audi's? Why no BMW cars?
If you mean the 2005 DTM season, there were no BMW teams participating. DTM is a non-FIA event (thank god, otherwise Max would have ruined it by now). In 2005, there was AUDI, Opel and Mercedes Benz competing.

BMW takes part in the FIA's WTCC with the 320i, and did very well. They won the championship actually, followed by Alfa Romeo, Seat (Volkswagen), Chevrolet and then Ford.

Apparently, there will be a DTM series this year (2006), although only AUDI and Mercedes Benz will have teams and cars. There has been some speculation that with the withdraw of Opel (GMC) from the series, that the German TV company that owns the rights to broadcast DTM, would be able to pull out and thus cancel the series (the TV deal stipulated that there had to be at least 3 automotive manufacturers in the series for it to be shown on TV). Rumors about Italian, French, and Japanese car makers joining the circus have so far not happened.

One interesting point: in 2005, the DTM race at Hockenheim had more spectators than the Fomula 1 race held there the same year.

DTM is huge in Germany, and other in parts of Europe. If the series gets a few more manufacturers involved, and already having world class drivers like Kristensen, Ekström, Frentzen, Häkkinen, Schneider, it could get much bigger.

And thankfully, it has nothing to do with those idiots running the FIA. :thumbup:

For more on the WTCC, check this link: http://www.eurostc.com/

For more on the DTM, check this link: http://www.dtm.de/

·
Registered
133 Posts
BMW doesn't like to compete in touring car series where the cars are radically different from the production version. Probably their line anyway. Also w/F1 and the WTCC I doubt there is much budget or need for it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

Yeah, I hope BMW Sauber is well funded this year, last year was not good.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I really hope that BMW will make its comeback in DTM, although I know chances are that they never will.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't care for WTCC and its predecessor ETCC. It's just not hardcore enough, doesn't remind me of the exciting touring car racing of the early-mid 90's (which inspired a generation of fantastic road cars).

BMW has what it takes to be competitive too: their enduro-prepared M3 GTRs beat the factory DTM cars fair and square at the Nurburgring 24hr. Despite being much closer to its production trim, the M3 GTRs still had the highest topspeed and were very similar to the fancy DTM cars in individual lap times.

I'm probably dreaming here, but perhas BMW Motorsport could develop a chassis/engine that can run both FIA GT and DTM? Something like an E90 M3 GTR Coupe for FIA GT, and an M3 DTM sedan? Afterall, DTM is where the M3's root is at.

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
armaq said:
II'm probably dreaming here, but perhas BMW Motorsport could develop a chassis/engine that can run both FIA GT and DTM? Something like an E90 M3 GTR Coupe for FIA GT, and an M3 DTM sedan? Afterall, DTM is where the M3's root is at.
DTM cars use tubular frame chassis, you can't use it in FIA GT competition. The main reason BMW doesn't compete in Grand-Am with M3 anymore, they allow for tube frame cars like Pontiac's GTO-R to run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts