Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While it would be nice if it's not extended past 31.8., that's not a given and it's mostly dependent at that point on how well a country is doing in controlling the virus.

Germany to Extend Coronavirus Travel Ban for Non-European Countries Into Late August

Germany, which last week said it would lift its travel ban on 29 European countries, including Britain and Iceland, on June 15, will keep its ban on travelers from outside the European Union in place through the end of August....

<SNIP>
This makes things extremely difficult for anyone trying to do European Delivery before the program ends.

·
Registered
2018 M4 cabrio ZCP / 2018 X5M
1,706 Posts
Only way Germany can enforce this is via direct TATL flights from the US to Munich/Frankfurt/Berlin, etc. What happens when connecting via AMS, LHR, MAD or CDG, as the passenger would then be on a intra Schengen Area flight? Immigration infectious control would fall on that respective country.

A lot of Sun Set ED’s will be be cancelled, as the risk is too high.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only way Germany can enforce this is via direct TATL flights from the US to Munich/Frankfurt/Berlin, etc. What happens when connecting via AMS, LHR, MAD or CDG, as the passenger would then be on a intra Schengen Area flight? Immigration infectious control would fall on that respective country.

A lot of Sun Set ED’s will be be cancelled, as the risk is too high.
I presume Germany will still do spot checks on Autobahnen based on this news.

I've driven from Austria to Germany several times recently (right before that border was completely closed) and my smiling face and my German Kennzeichen resulted in the border guard just waving me through.

Re connecting flights, if you are going via flight connections, the agent can see whence you came and could deny access to the ongoing flight if instructed to do so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been following this carefully as I have an ED pending. It seems the battle is between individual countries and the EU governing body.
From what I can tell, Germany is advising it's own citizens not to travel outwards to non-approved counties for non-essential travel. Some of the other EU members like Portugal and Greece have stated that they are intending to fully open their borders to international tourism. I don't know is there is any kind of supremacy clause within the EU for these kinds of decisions - similar to states rights here in the US.

I also came across this article published this morning.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/06/10/europe-travel-eu-welcomes-tourists-july-1-borders-reopen/#9b6834efe662

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a terribly misleading lede! ("Europe travels are on the cards–for all tourists, not just Europeans–as the EU ban draws to an end starting on July 1...") I would have fired that journalist had he been in our employ but none of our correspondents would ever write a lede like that.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In regards to upcoming ED, I was sent this link. Not clear if borders may open July 1st.

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus
Germany at this point has reopened almost all if not all of its land borders by today.

Regarding any upcoming EDs, as I mentioned upstream, it would be at the earliest at the very end of August and given that the R naught figure has gone sky high, I would now bet on September.

Coronavirus News: June 22 – Cases Rise in 18 States, Germany’s R0 Rate Jumps to 2.88

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
I fear that the last US spec European Delivery cars have already taken place, the last one in March. There are at least two scheduled. A Bimmerfester is scheduled for July 7 and sometime in early September.

I fear that the Welt will be open but the customer won't be able to get to Germany.

Sure, there are ways but none of them practical. For example, a James Bond type parachute drop or a 14 day quarantine in the UK then going to Germany by land.

Hopefully, the European Delivery customers will ask and then be allowed to partly experience it at a later date. What I mean is a letter to them acting as an admission pass so that they can one day come to Germany and visit the lounge, grand staircase, and walk to the turnstiles with the cars briefly. Not quite the same but better than nothing.

The European Delivery customers will, I predict, have their cars shipped to the US without a Welt visit due to Covid-19.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fear that the last US spec European Delivery cars have already taken place, the last one in March. There are at least two scheduled. A Bimmerfester is scheduled for July 7 and sometime in early September.

I fear that the Welt will be open but the customer won't be able to get to Germany.

Sure, there are ways but none of them practical. For example, a James Bond type parachute drop or a 14 day quarantine in the UK then going to Germany by land.

Hopefully, the European Delivery customers will ask and then be allowed to partly experience it at a later date. What I mean is a letter to them acting as an admission pass so that they can one day come to Germany and visit the lounge, grand staircase, and walk to the turnstiles with the cars briefly. Not quite the same but better than nothing.

The European Delivery customers will, I predict, have their cars shipped to the US without a Welt visit due to Covid-19.
I don't believe that BMW would deliver a vehicle to someone who is (only) a U.S. citizen and essentially in Germany in violation of the travel ban.

I am not even sure if BMW would deliver a car to me at this point - although I intend to go to the Welt to do a final ED story (even if the final ED has already passed).

I'm sad but glad you concur with my conclusion at this point. I know a few people moved their deliveries into September but I see that as a 25% chance at best.

Makes me thankful for the well over a dozen EDs I already did and the ability to participate in friends' EDs as well as some done by people I met here.

I've said it before but I treasure this forum and the online and real friends I've made. (Real friends who have remained close for over a decade include one Bavarian and one Mainer or whatever someone who comes from Maine is called.)

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
This is not the news I wanted to hear. It is especially disappointing given that I reside in a county with very few COVID-19 cases.

I am currently scheduled for an 8/7 delivery but able to postpone until 9/30 if necessary.

The end of September is a long way off. Perhaps Germany/Schengen area will provide some exception for U.S. citizens traveling from low-risk areas, or even an accommodation for those who can obtain a negative PCR test before leaving or en route (e.g. via Iceland).

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is not the news I wanted to hear. It is especially disappointing given that I reside in a county with very few COVID-19 cases.

I am currently scheduled for an 8/7 delivery but able to postpone until 9/30 if necessary.

The end of September is a long way off. Perhaps Germany/Schengen area will provide some exception for U.S. citizens traveling from low-risk areas, or even an accommodation for those who can obtain a negative PCR test before leaving or en route (e.g. via Iceland).
Unfortunately, Sept 26th is the last date that you pick up for ED. A number of us in the M2 group have ED's scheduled for Sept. I am currently scheduled to pick mine up on Sept 7th. I am giving it a 50-50 chance it will happen. Disappointing to say the least. BMW should have waited a bit longer to sunset the program.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Given that some states in the United States are first letting U.S. citizens in from other states now only with proof of a negative Covid-19 test, I can't see this happening that quickly in the European Union. I do however agree that the testing idea for U.S. citizens has merit, which is why I was so pleased when Iceland and Austria (in different ways and for different groups of people) rolled it out.

I can however promise that the EU will treat the US as a single entity. There is zero possibility for an exception for someone from a low-risk area. In addition, with the current U.S. travel ban, I don't see the EU acting first given that the US ban came first.

I will continue to monitor the situation carefully and report here and will likely travel to Austria within the next few weeks and report from there as well.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Unfortunately, Sept 26th is the last date that you pick up for ED. A number of us in the M2 group have ED's scheduled for Sept. I am currently scheduled to pick mine up on Sept 7th. I am giving it a 50-50 chance it will happen. Disappointing to say the least. BMW should have waited a bit longer to sunset the program.
Thanks for that info! I have located the F87 ED thread and will definitely be lurking there until this comes to some resolution, good or bad.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Given that some states in the United States are first letting U.S. citizens in from other states now only with proof of a negative Covid-19 test, I can't see this happening that quickly in the European Union. I do however agree that the testing idea for U.S. citizens has merit, which is why I was so pleased when Iceland and Austria (in different ways and for different groups of people) rolled it out.

I can however promise that the EU will treat the US as a single entity. There is zero possibility for an exception for someone from a low-risk area. In addition, with the current U.S. travel ban, I don't see the EU acting first given that the US ban came first.

I will continue to monitor the situation carefully and report here and will likely travel to Austria within the next few weeks and report from there as well.
Thank you. I found it interesting that RKI has delineated for German travelers those US states currently having an increased risk of infection:

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html

I was holding out hope that it could also be used to assess the risk of U.S. residents in the future. Nonetheless, I will certainly look forward to your travel reporting.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2018 M4 cabrio ZCP / 2018 X5M
1,706 Posts
Spain is apparently opening up the boarders for all international travelers as of July 1, 2020 to promote tourism, but the EU is internally debating this as per the NYTimes: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html

To high risk to fly to Munich from a "open" international tourism EU country and then connect onto Germany, as I'm sure there will be temperature screening upon arrival from a Schengen country at the German airports.

Doubt train stations would have temperature checks, but to go through all that travel hassle for a ED-- not worth it. I agree with the above posts, that the Welt will probably not allow US customers to take delivery. This is not going change until a vaccine is available and/or FDA approved treatment.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

The more that I read (NYT, travel sites, etc), the more I am coming around to the realization that this just may not happen. We're giving ourselves 2 more days to decide on pushing it out to mid-August to see what happens or just throw in the towel and have the car shipped here.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
The next country list update should be out in two weeks. If there's no movement by then I'll push the delivery date out to the week of 9/21. Worst case I'll probably go with a PCD.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 38 Posts