Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
The next country list update should be out in two weeks. If there's no movement by then I'll push the delivery date out to the week of 9/21. Worst case I'll probably go with a PCD.
We have a new delivery date confirmed at BMW Welt on 9/25.

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Anything new? Our date is scheduled for 8/4 but I'm highly doubtful that is going to happen. I have an email out to my CA and the person we've been dealing w/ BMWNA to see if there's anything being done about the ED cars waiting to be picked up by people who are unable to enter Germany.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
Anything new? Our date is scheduled for 8/4 but I'm highly doubtful that is going to happen. I have an email out to my CA and the person we've been dealing w/ BMWNA to see if there's anything being done about the ED cars waiting to be picked up by people who are unable to enter Germany.

If you want the car, ask that they deliver it now or ASAP. I fear that US passport holders that live in the US will not be allowed into Germany for non-essential purposes anytime soon.

If you want to possibly make it happen, reschedule it to later in September. That's the latest date that BMW will do a European Delivery unless you ask and they agree. There is a small chance that Germany could open up in September.

The way I see it, the only reasonable way to get to Germany would be to do a 14 day quarantine in the UK or Ireland. Most people don't have any kind of German residence pass or essential duties or are going to a US military base, three ways to get in. Croatia is a possibility because they let Americans in. I haven't researched if the Croatia-Slovenia border is open but Slovenia is Schengen. I also haven't researched the Gibraltar-Spain border. Spain is Schengen and Gibraltar has only customs, not immigration, for UK-Gibraltar flights. I also wonder if Americans can get into Morocco then to Gibraltar?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you want the car, ask that they deliver it now or ASAP. I fear that US passport holders that live in the US will not be allowed into Germany for non-essential purposes anytime soon.

If you want to possibly make it happen, reschedule it to later in September. That's the latest date that BMW will do a European Delivery unless you ask and they agree. There is a small chance that Germany could open up in September.

The way I see it, the only reasonable way to get to Germany would be to do a 14 day quarantine in the UK or Ireland. Most people don't have any kind of German residence pass or essential duties or are going to a US military base, three ways to get in. Croatia is a possibility because they let Americans in. I haven't researched if the Croatia-Slovenia border is open but Slovenia is Schengen. I also haven't researched the Gibraltar-Spain border. Spain is Schengen and Gibraltar has only customs, not immigration, for UK-Gibraltar flights. I also wonder if Americans can get into Morocco then to Gibraltar?
We're in the middle of a home renovation so that's temporarily keeping my mind off not having the car yet. Not sure if we're up for "finding" a way in, although it does look doable. Was curious to see if others were throwing in the towel or staying the course. Would also be interesting to see if BMW changes course or comes out w/ anything new as a result of this.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm not sure that even going via a location where one would self-quarantine for 14 days would work per se.

For example, a lot of restaurants in Ireland won't seat Americans.

It's a true shame that the program is ending (with such little notice) at this particular time but I have to assume that the pandemic hastened its demise.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am scheduled to pick up my M2C on September 7th, though I had a disappointing development today. United/Lufthansa cancelled our direct non-stop flight into Munich that was to leave on Sept 5th arriving on the 6th. My return flight from Amsterdam is still confirmed, but we will see for how long. I am going to call United, but have little hope on flights that will be confirmed for travel in that time frame.

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,709 Posts
I am scheduled to pick up my M2C on September 7th, though I had a disappointing development today. United/Lufthansa cancelled our direct non-stop flight into Munich that was to leave on Sept 5th arriving on the 6th. My return flight from Amsterdam is still confirmed, but we will see for how long. I am going to call United, but have little hope on flights that will be confirmed for travel in that time frame.
Expect additional international flight cancellations for direct flights. I would plan on routing via hubs for your travel. The US airlines are not seeing the expected post labor day rebound business travel to justify the direct international non-hub flights. Premium business class full fare paying customers and the under belly cargo makes a flight profitable.

BTW, Plant Munich is closed from July 27, 2020 through September 7, 2020 to convert for producing the all-electric BMW i4. Highly unlikely there will be Munich factory tours at all even after the conversion due to the pre-production of the i4.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Expect additional international flight cancellations for direct flights. I would plan on routing via hubs for your travel. The US airlines are not seeing the expected post labor day rebound business travel to justify the direct international non-hub flights. Premium business class full fare paying customers and the under belly cargo makes a flight profitable.

BTW, Plant Munich is closed from July 27, 2020 through September 7, 2020 to convert for producing the all-electric BMW i4. Highly unlikely there will be Munich factory tours at all even after the conversion due to the pre-production of the i4.
Appreciate the insights. I was planning to do my tour on Sept 8th.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,709 Posts
I agree 110% with you, deliveries will not occur until there is a vaccine or known treatment, as the common flu doesn't have a treatment-- just Tamiflu to shorten the duration of symptoms.

German airports started to offer COVID-19 testing last week, for example the private Munich airport lab contractor cost is $213 per test. Negative test doesn't require a 14 days of quarantine.

A EDer would probably want to be tested in the states prior to traveling to Germany, but there is a shortage of tests in the US and is taking upwards of 7 days for results. It's not like a EDer can be tested daily such as the NBA bubble or MLB every other day.

Way too much downside risk to arrive in Germany, test positive and have a mandatory 14 day quarantine.

Has anyone recently completed a ED since the re-opening of the Welt? With the recent surge of COVID-19 cases in Germany, I hope the future ED'ers have travel insurance when the delivery is cancelled by BMW NA.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I agree 110% with you, deliveries will not occur until there is a vaccine or known treatment, as the common flu doesn't have a treatment-- just Tamiflu to shorten the duration of symptoms.

German airports started to offer COVID-19 testing last week, for example the private Munich airport lab contractor cost is $213 per test. Negative test doesn't require a 14 days of quarantine.

A EDer would probably want to be tested in the states prior to traveling to Germany, but there is a shortage of tests in the US and is taking upwards of 7 days for results. It's not like a EDer can be tested daily such as the NBA bubble or MLB every other day.

Way too much downside risk to arrive in Germany, test positive and have a mandatory 14 day quarantine.

Has anyone recently completed a ED since the re-opening of the Welt? With the recent surge of COVID-19 cases in Germany, I hope the future ED'ers have travel insurance when the delivery is cancelled by BMW NA.
Chances of ED happening seem to be getting worse instead of better. I'M in Mass and the new travel order (effective 8/1) requires a 14 day quarantine or a negative test administered within 72hrs. So nevermind Germany for my ED and the EU's travel ban, our Aruba trip in 2 weeks is on the line. To leave, we have to find a testing facility that has a turnaround time for the results in 1-3 days. And then arranging testing abroad for just before we return. Where's my white flag...

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
We have a new delivery date confirmed at BMW Welt on 9/25.
Well folks, I am going to pull the plug on ED any day now. To me a PCD + week-long road trip home will be better than nothing.

Best of luck to those who are holding out until the bitter end.

·
Registered
163 Posts

I pulled the plug on my ED also. My car is now at port and still planning on taking delivery. My dealer will honor the ED pricing. I am now tracking the car travels across the ocean, once it boards the ship.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
I pulled the plug on my ED also. My car is now at port and still planning on taking delivery. My dealer will honor the ED pricing. I am now tracking the car travels across the ocean, once it boards the ship.
Honor the ED pricing? Makes it sound like they are doing you a favor.

Some dealers who infrequent sell cars for European Delivery sell it at the European Delivery percentage off base price MSRP. I believe it's 5%. It used to be more. 5% off MSRP is not the best deal possible for a US delivery. Some salesman will sell a European Delivery car for a fixed dollar amount over invoice, which is more than 5% off. In some of those cases, the European Delivery price is a reasonably good price.

Saab European Delivery pricing was really sweet. It could be almost 20% off MSRP (19.6%). Those living in California had a sweeter deal. If they bought it and shipped it back before the end of 2004, there was no sales tax.

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,709 Posts
Honor the ED pricing? Makes it sound like they are doing you a favor.

Some dealers who infrequent sell cars for European Delivery sell it at the European Delivery percentage off base price MSRP. I believe it's 5%. It used to be more. 5% off MSRP is not the best deal possible for a US delivery. Some salesman will sell a European Delivery car for a fixed dollar amount over invoice, which is more than 5% off. In some of those cases, the European Delivery price is a reasonably good price.

Saab European Delivery pricing was really sweet. It could be almost 20% off MSRP (19.6%). Those living in California had a sweeter deal. If they bought it and shipped it back before the end of 2004, there was no sales tax.
My last ED price in 2017 was at ED invoice + doc fee of around $500 for a 2018 M4 vert. Not going to miss the BMWFS lease MF ED modifier.

Sorry that ya all are throwing in the white flag, as once Oktoberfest was cancelled earlier this year, I threw in the towel myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ibiza, yep, you're right on that one. But you always should understand that some online services and websites raise prices for the tickets, and airline operators have nothing to do with that. I know at least one good, trustful and reliable tickets service I've been using recently ( here: httрs://airbusinessclass.com/popular-destinations/amsterdam ), it has plenty options for adjustment during your searching of ticket process, and it will give you real prices, like you would get them from airline company.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
I wonder who was the last person in the United States to do European Delivery? Maybe someone in mid-March?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts