BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Took delivery of my 520i M Sport at the end of December so still getting used to it and all the gizmos.
The gesture control isn't working so I looked up how to make sure it's turned on:
My Vehicle/ iDrive settings/ Gesture Control.
Only problem is there is no "gesture control" in my iDrive sttings menu.
I called Connected Drive support today and they said they have no idea why it's missing from my menu and advised contacting my dealer.
I've done that and fixed up an appointment for next week, but hey, that's a week away, so I thought you guys might be able to help with some suggestions I can try.
By the way I'm in the UK.
Doug.

·
Registered
418 Posts
And if it is not included, congratulations! IMHO the most worthless feature on the car.
GC is great - extremely handy for me (and many others judging by numerous threads on the topic).

On the flipside, if someone doesn't like it, just turn it off and its like it never existed. If the OP paid for it, he should have it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
GC is great - extremely handy for me (and many others judging by numerous threads on the topic).
I have found it to be flaky at best. Nice concept on paper, but a hit rate for me that makes it simplier to just use the wheel controls to change tracks or volume. I suspect it will go by the wayside when voice commands come with iDrive 7.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My main use for gesture control is volume up/down and skip track - two things I don't want to use voice control for as I don't want a break in the music.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Lmao. Anyone waving their whole arm around probably won't get it to work. And will look like an idiot doing it.

Is that what some people are doing? I would love to see that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the replies.
I tried putting my VIN number in the link but it gave an error message, probably because I'm in the UK.
I was also directed to go to BMWUK/Ownership/Electronic parts catalogue(enter VIN no,)/Options which apparently gives the actual build data and I got as far as options but no details.
I agree that it's not an important feature but my take is if I've paid for it, then it should be there and it should work.
I think it's a standard feature because all the promo stuff mentions it.
If it's part of a package, which package is it?
I can't find it listed in any of the config stuff.
Thanks,
Doug.
P.S. I read somewhere else on this forum that the Build Data sheet is under the passenger seat!
Anybody know if this is true?
I haven't looked there yet!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the replies.
I tried putting my VIN number in the link but it gave an error message, probably because I'm in the UK.
I was also directed to go to BMWUK/Ownership/Electronic parts catalogue(enter VIN no,)/Options which apparently gives the actual build data and I got as far as options but no details.
I agree that it's not an important feature but my take is if I've paid for it, then it should be there and it should work.
I think it's a standard feature because all the promo stuff mentions it.
If it's part of a package, which package is it?
I can't find it listed in any of the config stuff.
Thanks,
Doug.
P.S. I read somewhere else on this forum that the Build Data sheet is under the passenger seat!
Anybody know if this is true?
I haven't looked there yet!
GC is an option. It comes in the technology package or if you don't buy the tech pack, its a standalone option for £160. It's not a standard feature though.

I'm in the UK too. Bimmer.Work used to work but having just tested it, I see now that its just broken. Try this one: https://www.mdecoder.com/ just worked for me.

AFAIK, there isn't a build sheet under the seat. At least I've never seen one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jo,
That solves it, I don't have the tech pack.
The mdecoder link worked too, interesting to see the build date and details, thanks for that.
Doug.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Lmao. Anyone waving their whole arm around probably won't get it to work. And will look like an idiot doing it.

Is that what some people are doing? I would love to see that.
I was exaggerating for effect... But I -really- don't see how holding my arm in mid air and twirling my finger around is even remotely as easy as just pressing the buttons on the steering wheel that I'm already holding onto, or indeed turning the knob which is, realistically, nearer to where your arm is likely to be than where you'd have to move it to to do the twirly finger gesture.

Some of the gestures are useful - I use the 'dismiss' and 'skip track' ones. But volume, nah, that's just a gimmick.

It's good fun to show passengers for the first time though, but ultimately pointless.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was exaggerating for effect... But I -really- don't see how holding my arm in mid air and twirling my finger around is even remotely as easy as just pressing the buttons on the steering wheel that I'm already holding onto, or indeed turning the knob which is, realistically, nearer to where your arm is likely to be than where you'd have to move it to to do the twirly finger gesture.

Some of the gestures are useful - I use the 'dismiss' and 'skip track' ones. But volume, nah, that's just a gimmick.

It's good fun to show passengers for the first time though, but ultimately pointless.
Fair enough. I can't speak for how you drive. But I'm tall, my seat is very far back and my arm sits on the centre arm rest most of the time and my hand is basically where it needs to be to get a gesture off.

Skip track is super convenient because I simply hand make the 2 fingers and flick them a little bit and presto, so I use that more than the buttons. My steering wheel hand isn't always where I need it to be to make pressing the steering wheel buttons easier than using a gesture.

And based on how far back I sit, to touch the control stack I have to move my arm forward whereas I don't with a gesture.

I just use whatever works best for me at the time with the least effort.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts