BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

601 - 608 of 608 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have looked on you tube and there are a couple guy's showing the pixel ribbon replacement and they are attaching it to the circuit boar with scotch tape. he is making it look very easy. Yet He does not show the needles being removed he only shows them being put back on. I know you can damage the stepper motors if you just pull them off. taking the speedo out is easy, taking it apart is not too hard just have to go slow and have two sets of hand ready or zips ties and flat head screw drivers. there is also a you tube vid on removing the needles by holding the needle motor shaft with a pair of small needle nose pliers. has anyone done there own repair. I might look for a junk speedo to practice on. You can buy the pixel ribbons for the speedo for $8 to $40 on ebay. you can have it repaired by sending it out for around $150. someone out there must have attempted this DIY.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Due to the ridiculous heat this summer (at least that's what I attribute it to) my pixel repair by German Audio Tech

( http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E38-E39...tomotive_Services&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae67bbc8d )

failed a month or two ago. But that's why I went with GAT, his repairs have a lifetime warranty and I figgered the cable might fail again. Finally got around to pulling my car apart and shipped it yesterday (USPS Priority Mail and $200 insurance was $12). I was going to run it down to Long Beach and wait like I did back in 2012, but he doesn't do that any more. Just checked USPS and it was delivered this morning. I should have it back tomorrow or Friday (I hope)......

The e-bay link above is to his $149 auction -
this one is the same thing for $129 - Go Figger........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INSTRUM...tomotive_Services&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae5ce1070

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks ...

Thanks for the suggestion. :) He has two service offerings that look exactly the same except for price. I'm going to go for the $99 one. I won't be getting mine as fast up here in Canada. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,
Lorin

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dash Pixel repair options

This email no longer works. Any other suggestions for contacts? It's 10 years after this post! :0
I've tried emailing a few folks at BMWNA with no luck on the Goodwill as of Aug 2014.
I was lucky to have participated back then after reading Agent99's post on how it easy it was.

Since then, it went out again. I ended up taking a similar route as Touring Dude.

There is a place in Riverside called German Recycling that will let you bring your car in.
It cost me $129 + $10 for them to remove & install + $20 for rings.
You don't need the rings, that's cosmetic and optional.

Here's their web site if it helps anyone in a similar situation.
http://www.germanautorecycling.com/repairs/bmw-cluster-pixel-repair

Mola
E39, E60, E70

·
Registered
6 Posts
E39 Dashboard Repair - If its a BMW M62 its not worth the investment

BMW NA will rarely help on these old cars, so I am not surprised. I had my E39 Dashboard rebuilt by VDORepair.com via Ebay. Note, if you have a V8 540i M62 engine, dont spend another dime on the car until you get the M62 Vanos system and chain guides replaced. Otherwise, you beautiful new dash will wind up in a salvage yard along with your investment. The BMW M62 engine is worthless after 150k to 160k without major and expensive Vanos and timing Chain guide replacement.

601 - 608 of 608 Posts