BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Troops,

I took delivery of my new 325i on May 31, 2002, and in the past three months it has been into service for the AC three times (not even counting the quick check of the "funny" sound when I took delivery). My experience has been documented on this board. I have had more trouble-free driving days in my three loaners than in my own vehicle. Three items (one per visit) have been replaced - the AC Compressor O-rings, the Expansion Valve, and the ENTIRE AC COMPRESSOR. The latest solution lasted three days before the air stopped blowing cold and the bubbling sound of freon evaporating out of my dash returned.

Before I take it back, I'm filing my complaint with the Georgia Office of Consumer Affairs. The "manufacturer" will have one more chance to fix the problem, or else I'll get an new vehicle or my money back (theoretically). So my questions for you - who has gone through this mess in Georgia (or anywhere), how has the process worked for you, and what suggestions do you have?

I almost want them to fail so I can upgrade to an '03... ;)

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
Go to Google and search for "Georgia Lemon Law".

There is a great deal of information available, as well as some attorneys who apparently do Lemon Law work for Free.

Though, given the nature of the business, I am sure they get paid somewhere along the lines...

For the record, which Atlanta Dealer did you buy from?

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Global BMW. To their credit, I got a good deal and have never had a bad experience with any of the service folks, but they keep fixing it and the "fix" never lasts more than two weeks. Life's too short to take your car in every two weeks...

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
asb2002 said:
Troops,

I took delivery of my new 325i on May 31, 2002, and in the past three months it has been into service for the AC three times (not even counting the quick check of the "funny" sound when I took delivery). My experience has been documented on this board. I have had more trouble-free driving days in my three loaners than in my own vehicle. Three items (one per visit) have been replaced - the AC Compressor O-rings, the Expansion Valve, and the ENTIRE AC COMPRESSOR. The latest solution lasted three days before the air stopped blowing cold and the bubbling sound of freon evaporating out of my dash returned.

Before I take it back, I'm filing my complaint with the Georgia Office of Consumer Affairs. The "manufacturer" will have one more chance to fix the problem, or else I'll get an new vehicle or my money back (theoretically). So my questions for you - who has gone through this mess in Georgia (or anywhere), how has the process worked for you, and what suggestions do you have?

I almost want them to fail so I can upgrade to an '03... ;)
I went through the lemon hell about 3 years ago with another car...I had an attorney and all..it lasted a year and was causing stress and more trouble than it was worth..I could not continue to do that for more than a year. So as always the manu won! those b astards!

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But you must have lost money because you had to sell it as a lemon?!

Based on what I've read and heard, I doubt BMW would replace this car. They'd rather wait until WINTER when they won't have to fix the AC every 3 weeks.

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
asb2002 said:

Based on what I've read and heard, I doubt BMW would replace this car. They'd rather wait until WINTER when they won't have to fix the AC every 3 weeks.
While I am sure BMW would have the opportunity to do whatever they want, at first. It is eventually out of their hands.

At some point in the process, the entire case goes before an arbitration board for the decision. Whatever they decide, both sides are stuck with.

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, the arbitration process that the GA Office of Consumer Affairs describes doesn't make it sound like a stalemate is possible. I mean, as long as BMW keeps trying (and failing) to fix it for however long the process takes, that only works in my favor and gives me more weight with the arbitrator. CCs328Ci, was a decision made that you weren't happy with, so you fought it?

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
asb2002 said:

I sold the car for the balance I owed...no money lost...it was not a mechanical lemon.....so the 2nd owner is still driving the car.. no one wins

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
asb2002 said:

by the way I sold the car, it was not classified as a "lemon" unless the case was resolved as a lemon..it kept going and going and going if you read above..it sucked BIG TIME!

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
asb2002 said:
Right, the arbitration process that the GA Office of Consumer Affairs describes doesn't make it sound like a stalemate is possible. I mean, as long as BMW keeps trying (and failing) to fix it for however long the process takes, that only works in my favor and gives me more weight with the arbitrator. CCs328Ci, was a decision made that you weren't happy with, so you fought it?
Yes asb2002, I went through arbitration, the decision was made that the manufacturer had one more try to fix.... They fixed it, but I hated the car. what happened was I had to keep getting front rotors over and over about 6 sets. Plus, the sunroof kept making a horrible noise, the whole sunroof had to be replaced and it still had a crazy sound! Then finally (dealer) said my car must have been damaged in delivery. Well, that was hard to prove! THEN, the second thing was, when I bought the car it looked perfect (paint wise) then in about 6 months, the paint started breaking down on the right side and top. I had all this investigated and found the car had been repainted (just the parts breaking down). I kinda put 2 and 2 together and thought..hmmm, warped rotors, repainted..something has happened to my car bad it seemed. My dealer said he might have been tied down to tight in delivery to the dealer and bent the car causing the damage... it took me FOREVER to get the manufactuer (not the dealer) to say the car was not perfect When the car was being built to it was sent back to be repainted before it EVER was sold at the manufacturer. I told them I wanted a NEW car like I was supposed to have purchased..they seen other wise and figured it should be fixed... I felt like the car was never new...and it was a battle forever..so I finally gave in... sorry for the long post, but those bastards really pissed me off.

Nothing for the small dude, you get screwed and oh well.. :mad:

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So in the end it was fixed, but enough obvious evidence convinced you that you purchased what BMW had "passed off" as a brand new, mint condition vehicle (which it wasn't). That sucks.

That scares the bejesus out of me. But seriously, I love my car. Everything else is perfect. If they fix the problem I'll be set.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
asb2002 said:
So in the end it was fixed, but enough obvious evidence convinced you that you purchased what BMW had "passed off" as a brand new, mint condition vehicle (which it wasn't). That sucks.

That scares the bejesus out of me. But seriously, I love my car. Everything else is perfect. If they fix the problem I'll be set.
yea it sucked...but that was my previous car before the BMW...not a BMW...it was another car manu :yikes:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts

So you didn't put down any money on it and made no payments? :confused:
I got more out of it than if I traded it in!!!!! Because the car was repainted I would have lost money to something I didnt cause..I was glad to at LEAST get what I owed..if you trade in....sometimes you get less for trade than owed.... like I said..I was glad to get rid of it...so you can :confused: I was doing this :flipoff:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
CCs328Ci said:

I got more out of it than if I traded it in!!!!! Because the car was repainted I would have lost money to something I didnt cause..I was glad to at LEAST get what I owed..if you trade in....sometimes you get less for trade than owed.... like I said..I was glad to get rid of it...so you can :confused: I was doing this :flipoff:
So it didn't cost you anything further out of pocket. I guess we have different definitions, then. No big deal.

Did you inform your buyer of the problems with the car?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts