BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW 530I E39
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 530I - Lately my car is getting hot. When I am in a log line at the drive thru, it starts getting hot, sometimes all the way to the red. If I can get back on the road and drive it will cool down and go back to normal. Today I was driving and the car was getting hot, so I stopped to see if the auxiliary fan was turning and it was not. My AC was on, but it was on low. I am thinking that I have a fan problem, how do I get it to turn on? Don't want to burn my engine.

Thank you,
Stephen
"Newbie to Bimmerfest"

·
Registered
465 Posts
Do the whole cooling system replacement along with the auxiliary fan. Your car is talking to you and you need to listen to it.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,853 Posts
so do I replace the entire fan or can the clutch be replaced. This is an electric fan and I don't see a clutch on it. Thank you!!
He was talking about the main fan which has a clutch...unless your was converted to electric. If you have a belt driven fan it has a clutch.

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

·
Registered
2002 BMW 530I E39
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fan only working when it wants to.

2002 350I - It seems crazy to me. I read that my electric fan will kick on when the AC is on. So yesterday I was driving, and was using my AC and checked and yes the electric fan was turning. Then last night I was trying to adjust my headlights a bit, and noticed that the car was getting hot. So I turned the AC on, and even turned on Max. I let everything run for about ten minutes and the electric fan didn't turn on. Seems to have a mind of it's own. I am old school and I would like to find a way to override and turn it on manually. I want to keep my engine cool.
Thank you,
Stephen

·
Wingnut
4,413 Posts
the aux fan will only kick in when the DME senses the engine needs additional cooling help, the aux fan isnt on all the time that the AC is turned on. the DME receives its temp signal from the temp sensor in the lower radiator hose. the DME sends a PWM signal to the aux fan to vary its speed as needed for cooling, therefore its not a simple switch closure to engage the aux fan on your Y/M/

·
Registered
2002 BMW 530I E39
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
temp sensor in the lower radiator hose

Thank you. So is it sounding like I need to replace temp sensor in the lower radiator hose. One person said I needed to replace the entire fan, but I think it is working, just not working when it is supposed to. And what would that be called so I can look it up.

Many Thanks,
Stephen
BMW Newbie :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thank you. So is it sounding like I need to replace temp sensor in the lower radiator hose. One person said I needed to replace the entire fan, but I think it is working, just not working when it is supposed to. And what would that be called so I can look it up.

Many Thanks,
Stephen
BMW Newbie :)
I***8217;ll try it again... you***8217;re looking for one part to make it all good....

If you don***8217;t know the service history and want to keep your car with a running engine.... replace the whole system and that means, fan, clutch, radiator, hoses, o rings, clamps, water pump, add a diesel thermostat.... spend 800 to 900 and an afternoon in the garage and you will still have a running car.

If you don***8217;t, you have about 2 minutes to notice thE low coolant message before you seize your engine.... or when your fan clutch locks up and you get nice dimples on your hood.

You ain***8217;t drivin a Toyota....

·
Registered
15,784 Posts
so do I replace the entire fan or can the clutch be replaced. This is an electric fan and I don't see a clutch on it. Thank you!!
So, you're saying that the fan on the engine side of the radiator is electric?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Do you have a code reader, if not get one.
You can monitor the coolant temp in real time via the cluster menu, test no 7.
The temp gauge is buffered, if its in the red it might be too late already.

·
Constantly Learning
2,057 Posts

·
Wingnut
4,413 Posts
minor detail...its not a switch, but an NTC thermistor. it sends a variable temp signal to the DME, which in turn sends the varying PWM signal to control the speed of the aux fan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts