BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm getting ready to purchase my 2nd BMW in a few months which will be a companion to our 2001 325i wagon, and we've pretty much decided on an X5.

The new models are a little too much for our budget, so we're going to go used. I am starting to test the water and am looking at either an 02 or an 03 with low mileage, most likely coming off a lease.

My first question: where can I get a comprehensive list of the major (and minor) feature changes between the different years?

My second question: to all 02 and 03 (and newer) owners out there, any serious drawbacks to the older models?

I know this is a very open-ended question, but I figured this would be a great place to start.

Thanks for all the help,

xrob

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,473 Posts
Rob,

As a former BMW General Sales Manager and X5 owner, I would wholeheartedly
support your acquiring an offlease low-mileage '02 or '03 X5. The plain truth in the
the X5 was so good when it was launched that the minor refinements that have
occurred over the lifespan of the vehicle are nonsignificant. The facelift/visual
enhancements are nice, no question about it. The value of a pre-owned '02 or '03
(CPO) provided that you can find the want will justify the purchase.

·
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!
279 Posts
i bought a 2002 lat July with 17,000 miles on it and have not too many complaints. I did alot of research on edmonds.com reading peoples feedback comments on 2001 and 2002's. there seemed to be tons of electrical complaints with the 2001's so i decided to spend a little more for a low mileage 2002.

·
Registered
136 Posts
TSAGG said:
i bought a 2002 lat July with 17,000 miles on it and have not too many complaints. I did alot of research on edmonds.com reading peoples feedback comments on 2001 and 2002's. there seemed to be tons of electrical complaints with the 2001's so i decided to spend a little more for a low mileage 2002.
id go with a 2003, i think there are less problems in those than even the 2002 models + some nice options available easily like Sirius/XM and Bluetooth.

·
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!
279 Posts
vinu_neuro said:
id go with a 2003, i think there are less problems in those than even the 2002 models + some nice options available easily like Sirius/XM and Bluetooth.
i would definitely go with 2003 also. i'm not having many problems with mine at all, but at the time i bought last July, the 2002 was more affordable then the 03's. I only drive it on weekends mostly so i didn't need the extra car payment amount.

but check out the owners feedback....could be very helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,

I'm getting ready to purchase my 2nd BMW in a few months which will be a companion to our 2001 325i wagon, and we've pretty much decided on an X5.

The new models are a little too much for our budget, so we're going to go used. I am starting to test the water and am looking at either an 02 or an 03 with low mileage, most likely coming off a lease.

My first question: where can I get a comprehensive list of the major (and minor) feature changes between the different years?

My second question: to all 02 and 03 (and newer) owners out there, any serious drawbacks to the older models?

I know this is a very open-ended question, but I figured this would be a great place to start.

Thanks for all the help

xrob[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 X5 with 38K on it. I realize you indicated getting a newer version but wanted to share somethings with you anyway. There is not much difference between the earlier years versus the current years. I have heard comments about electrical problems in the earlier ones and also cooling system faults too but I don't believe this is a fair statement accross the board to make. Mine has been a great vehicle overall. I recommend you do not get the 6 cyl engine as apposed to the 4.4 liter as the 8 will actual give you the same or better MPG. I average about 20 on the highway (80 mph) and 14 in town. Friends of mine who have the 6 complain about the performance when you add the weight and say there gas mileage is about the same as mine. Also, my vehicle has every option available except the heated steering wheel. The sport package gives the vehicle a great look but does give it a little harsher ride. Don't waste your money getting the vehicle from a BMW dealership with the CPO program as the markup price the dealership adds to qualify the vehicle doesn't warrent it. Fine a good used vehicle through a car club or word of mouth.

Good luck and if I can help with any more queries, let me know.

Frank

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have a 2002 that I bought thru CarMax and its been great. I went this route b/c I couldn't justify the higher price of the CPOs (I already know a good BMW certified mechanic).

I would disagree with the previous guy that said get the 4.4 over the 3.0 b/c of gas mileage. This maybe true of model years 03-current, but not 00-02. I have a 4.4 and get about 16 mph, I think the 3.0s get closer to 20. I thought there was a change to Steptronic (?) which increased gas mileage in 03 or 04, not sure which.

·
Pastafarian Extraordinair
2,347 Posts
seeyasoon said:
Don't waste your money getting the vehicle from a BMW dealership with the CPO program as the markup price the dealership adds to qualify the vehicle doesn't warrent it. Fine a good used vehicle through a car club or word of mouth.
:stupid:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts