BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ggrrr...door rattle

1248 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  SilverBmw
Well, I've been lucky enough to be rattle free for 21K miles, but now it sounds (literally) like I have a buzz in the passenger side door. It's coming from the lower right corner, and stops when I press firmly in that area. Occurs only when I'm on the highway. It's not a rattle, but it sounds like a screw has come loose and/or a washer is buzzing.

Any quick fixes, or is this one for the dealer?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Slip a piece of foam behind where you are pressing.
I once had an annoying squeak in the door of one of my cars. I took the door apart and sprayed wd-40 all over the place and the squeak was gone. I know yours is a buzzing sound but you never know what might work so I figured i'd give a suggestion ...
I had same rattle, same spot..dealer took door panel off and put foam and insulation there to tighten, and tighten speaker....:p
geomax said:
Well, I've been lucky enough to be rattle free for 21K miles, but now it sounds (literally) like I have a buzz in the passenger side door. It's coming from the lower right corner, and stops when I press firmly in that area. Occurs only when I'm on the highway. It's not a rattle, but it sounds like a screw has come loose and/or a washer is buzzing.

Any quick fixes, or is this one for the dealer?
i have it too. dealer tried to fix it more than 4 times and still didn't get it right. although they didn't try to put a foam block in it.
dude..between this and your rubber, you need to find another dealer... do you have another dealer around???? even if its 2 hours away and they are good.its worth it...IMO :dunno:
HW said:
i have it too. dealer tried to fix it more than 4 times and still didn't get it right. although they didn't try to put a foam block in it.
i am working w/ dealer #3 , i bought mine from #1, and previously had #2 work on my car. i'm in vancouver where bmws seem to be a dime a dozen and there are 4 dealers within ~20km from each other.
Oh, sorry then, guess I am lucky, my dealer seems to care.. many more need to be like this..
HW said:
i am working w/ dealer #3 , i bought mine from #1, and previously had #2 work on my car. i'm in vancouver where bmws seem to be a dime a dozen and there are 4 dealers within ~20km from each other.
Good tips - I'll be sure to mention the foam, etc when I bring it in for next service :thumbup:
Well i have two rattles in my drivers side door. One is above the armrest and the other is in the lower HK speaker. I have complained and complained about them. I have been in so many times i have lost count. The last time i was at my dealer I was the only one that could hear the rattles. They told me that they were upset that they had to fix rattles that could not be heard if the radio was on or the A/C was on. Well, I listen to a lot of music when i am driving. I usually have the volume really loud and the rattles only get louder and more annoying. I finally got so pissed at them i got them to order me a whole new door panel, but i dont know what that is gonna do. I wonder if the new black panel will make everything else look faded on my car. I had to email BMWNA about how poor their service was about fixing my HK sub rattle. They finnaly fixed that after BMWNA called them. I think i am going to email them agian.

I am going to be moving to LA very soon. What dealers down there are good at this kind of stuff?

-SilverBmw
I thought I had a similar problem twice - and both times it turned out to be the CHANGE HOLDER! I just moved it around a bit and the buzzing went away. I doubt that's what your problem is since you said it went away when you pushed a certain spot (and other posters have had similar problems fixed), but just thought I would mention it. Mine was way easier to fix than removing door panels, after all.
i had stuffed a pillow between the lower door panel and the seat and that stopped the rattle. now i don't want to have to leave a pillow there to stop this annoyance. driving home on a bumpy road w/ a headache (and the radio turned off because of a headache) will drive me insane having to listen to the rattles. plus even w/ the music turned up i can still hear/feel the rattles/ticking from the door panel. :mad: :banghead:

i've almost gave on bringing these problems in because from experience, the techs will end up adding more damages (minor ones) to my car. i have yet to get my car back w/o any small damages of some sort. minor scuffs, broken clips, finding bits of broken plastic that was left behind, pushed in speaker grill, small misalignments :mad: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I'll back up RWG. I went crazy for a week looking for the @#$ rattle somewhere near the glovebox or the lower passenger door panel. It turned out to be the change holder. I took out a quarter, and the rattle was gone. :rolleyes:
Did you guys ever try Velco strips (the soft side) they do wonders when you find the rattle and put them inbetween.

I once had a 95 Eagle Talon Tsi and that thing rattled like crazy . . . after a couple of hours and a lot of velco strips the rattles were gone !!!
i'm using badminton grip tape right now but it doesn't seem to be working anymore. i think maybe a block of closed cell foam wedged between the panel and the door sheet metal will probably do the best job. what the dealer tried were clips fromt he e39 which had rubber o-rings on them that puts a load on the door and door sheet metal. that didn't work. the problem may be that the interior door panel warps easily and so the part that does not get clipped onto the door rattles and makes the ticking sound. i think maybe more clips should have been used on the door or different clips that maybe tighted up from the outerside.
Stay away from Beverly Hills BMW and Santa Monica BMW. :mad:

I always take my car to Center BMW in Sherman Oaks. My service advisor is Chris (there's only one) and he is awesome. :thumbup: Always looks out for the best solution for me, very friendly and knowledgeable. The shop foremen, Jack and Dave, are also great. :thumbup: Absolute fans of BMWs and dedicated to their jobs. You will love their service.

Later.
SilverBmw said:

I am going to be moving to LA very soon. What dealers down there are good at this kind of stuff?

-SilverBmw
Thanks for the info!

-SilverBmw
Raffi said:


Stay away from Beverly Hills BMW and Santa Monica BMW. :mad:

I always take my car to Center BMW in Sherman Oaks. My service advisor is Chris (there's only one) and he is awesome. :thumbup: Always looks out for the best solution for me, very friendly and knowledgeable. The shop foremen, Jack and Dave, are also great. :thumbup: Absolute fans of BMWs and dedicated to their jobs. You will love their service.

Later.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top