BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, as expected, I took out the already awesome SSTT to install the JB3 this past weekend. I wanted this turner for quite a while but was waiting for version 1.3 to finalize.

The installation took about an hour and a half only because I was basically triple checking everything I was doing. Now that I know what components to remove and what goes where, I can probably take the unit in and out in about 25mins. It really does feel like you're doing brain surgery on your bimmer as you find yourself bridging connectors inside your car's ECU. I had to take a deep breath when it all hit me as I lifted open the ECU cover. When The box was in, before putting everything back, I turned on the car (just to make sure I didn't' screw anything up)...while holding my breath expecting to hear/see something out of the norm... to my delight, installation successful!! I actually learned a thing or two about what's underneath the hood as well.

Now to the results:
:wow:

The instructions mention it taking a day or two for adaptation. Well by the night of day 1, the car felt like a F'in rocket ship! Acceleration and speeds that are scary fast. It's almost a waste to live in the big apple. 1st & 2nd gear come and go faster than ever... It almost makes you want an automatic. Almost. I'm running on map5 which is a 93octane hotmap with 'Lagfix'- Since I currently have the software that supposedly introduced Lag, I never quite understood what the car was like without this so called lag. Well, I might have an understanding now. Although I do recognize that I have A LOT more power now, the low end torque is much more present. Either way, the JB3 purchase is a huge bang for your buck. I give this product two big thumbs up:thumbup::thumbup:
Damn near +100HP for under $600 bucks:thumbup:

Well, this is it. No more modding for me. I'm done and more than satisfied with the results. As I'm coming in on owning the 335 for a year now, all I can say is that I'm so glad I bought a twin turbocar :D

Here's a peak at a vid of what this little black box can do...

Results may vary.:)

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or in Mexico:) The vid was posted by Hotrod182

·
Registered
308 Posts
Or some hwy in Mexico. Damn! posted at the same time. Bad ass though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Any chance of getting yours dyno'd or maybe some Gino driving action? :p
Enjoy the extra umph!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'd love to have one, but I don't care how EASY the installation is........I can't do it. I would need to find someone and pay them to do the install.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd love to have one, but I don't care how EASY the installation is........I can't do it. I would need to find someone and pay them to do the install.
I used to think that way until I sad F it and just traded up my JB+ for one. read the instructions watched the video and jumped right in. Install went flawless took under an hour. No issues. I too am running map 5 and the car is ridiculous third gear gets you in trouble quick on the back roads.

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to think that way until I sad F it and just traded up my JB+ for one. read the instructions watched the video and jumped right in. Install went flawless took under an hour. No issues. I too am running map 5 and the car is ridiculous third gear gets you in trouble quick on the back roads.
Watching the vid was very helpful. It's sort of intimdating at the same time. I think figuring out how to unplug the main harness on the ecu was what held me up the most.

Overall, the installation was pretty basic. So easy a caveman can do it.

3rd gear on the highway has a brand new meaning now. I'm greatly satisfied with the results.

By the way, If anyone is around NY and are looking for someone to install their JB3, PM me.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I hate you so hard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you going to check for hidden codes? Being a 2008 your still in warranty. I have the + at full and really dig it and was thinking of going for more-lol Also I noticed beeping and a stop at 120mph in your video? My 07 hit 140 with no stop or beep. Is that something new on 08 and up? Thanks

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The timing equipment notification was for when the 1/4 mile was reached. If I'm not mistaken, In the first 5 maps of the JB3, it does not trigger any codes unless there was a huge misfire of some kind or something really extreme. This is all while still nearly doubling the output of a JB+ :)

Map 4:
-- Hotter Performance map, boost levels of 13-15psi depending on mods
and weather
-- Self adapts to modifications like intake, downpipes, exhaust, etc
-- 93 octane RM2 or greater required. The higher the octane, the more power.
Map 5:
-- Identical to map 4 with additional low end response (aka lagfix)

I'm on map5.

By the way, I just took bimmer for a quick joy ride tonight after not driving it for the past 2 days... I swear to god, this thing keeps getting faster!!!

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This post just got me very excited, should be ordering mine sometime in July. Cant wait. Enjoy it Gino
Hey, How'ya been man? How's the car? You never posted any pics. Ever had to go back to Hassel for anything?

Nothing $600 won't fix.
It's actually less than that since you have a full 100% trade up credit from your your JB+:)

·
Registered
401 Posts
By the way, I just took bimmer for a quick joy ride tonight after not driving it for the past 2 days... I swear to god, this thing keeps getting faster!!!
:rofl: Awesome :)

<3 the new 0-60 line in your sig. Made me giggle

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:rofl: Awesome :)

<3 the new 0-60 line in your sig. Made me giggle
I'd imagine your giggle is purely based on how fast you read ;)

I figured I take away the usual stuff under our sigs and sum it up as brief as possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey, How'ya been man? How's the car? You never posted any pics. Ever had to go back to Hassel for anything?

Hey the car is just amazing but im sure you know that, im waiting on getting a new camarea so i can post some respectable pics, and i havnt had to go back to Hassle yet, should be going soon for scheduled maintanence tho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts