BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 95 525i. The glove box handle was broken, so I bought a new piece, the lever part that attaches to the outside of the glove box. I double checked to make sure the latches would retract, which they did. But when I closed the box I heard some small parts rattle and now the glove box wont open. I think some small parts in the inside mechanism broke loose preventing the outside lever from working properly.

How can I remove the glove box without breaking it?

·
Registered
490 Posts
At the rear of the box there are clips that hold the box to a bar (the actual hinge of the box) and they can be released by "folding" them back. Kind of hard to explain without showing you. But if you get under the box and look at the back you should see what I am talking about. Releasing these clips main give you enough play to get some tools up into the latch area to remove the latch from the inside. But I'm not 100% positive if you'll be able to drop the box enough.. Worth a shot though. Here is a diagram of that the box looks like. Maybe it can help :dunno:

And a link to one of the clips so you can see how it works:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270575715514&viewitem=#ht_615wt_1302

Also... Just check and make sure that the actual key hole is oriented horizontally. If the key hole on the latch is vertical that means that the latch it locked. If thats the case just use the key and unlock it. haha. Hopefully you didnt replace the lock cylinder and dont have a key... :eeps:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feed back. Lock position is horizontal and I kept the same cylinder. Although when I took it out of the broken latch, it practically exploded and springs went everywhere. 2.5hrs later, lock put back together and key able to turn lock from horizontal to vertical with ease. I found the clips that you mentioned. I wasn't able to drop the box though. I think my original lock was really messed up. In your diagram, I replaced part 2, but I think in addition to it being broken (hing was broken & someone failed at trying to glue it back together), I now think part 3 is also broken. I think I'm now hearing some internal spring to part 3 as I attempt to open the glove box latch. The 2 flanges that retract when the latch is working properly are now stuck "out" and wont retract. I'm afraid I'm going to have to break the box at the latch (or worse) in order to get it to ever open up again.

On a side note, I discovered this latch problem while I was trying to replace the cabin filter. I was previously able to get the glove box off and got most the side panels off but couldn't get find the access panel to the filter itself. I found another link on this site that describes how to get the "sword" and the filter. I'm looking forward to attempting that but I think those procedures may have been for a newer model of car than mine. My glove box doesn't slide forward as his detailed instructions implied. http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_4.htm

·
Lucky to drive a BMW
1,356 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. Lock position is horizontal and I kept the same cylinder. Although when I took it out of the broken latch, it practically exploded and springs went everywhere. 2.5hrs later, lock put back together and key able to turn lock from horizontal to vertical with ease. I found the clips that you mentioned. I wasn't able to drop the box though. I think my original lock was really messed up. In your diagram, I replaced part 2, but I think in addition to it being broken (hing was broken & someone failed at trying to glue it back together), I now think part 3 is also broken. I think I'm now hearing some internal spring to part 3 as I attempt to open the glove box latch. The 2 flanges that retract when the latch is working properly are now stuck "out" and wont retract. I'm afraid I'm going to have to break the box at the latch (or worse) in order to get it to ever open up again.

On a side note, I discovered this latch problem while I was trying to replace the cabin filter. I was previously able to get the glove box off and got most the side panels off but couldn't get find the access panel to the filter itself. I found another link on this site that describes how to get the "sword" and the filter. I'm looking forward to attempting that but I think those procedures may have been for a newer model of car than mine. My glove box doesn't slide forward as his detailed instructions implied. http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_4.htm
A link here about cabin filter.http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515788&highlight=

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Luckydog! I bookmarked the link and am ordering the replacement parts. This site is being a BIG help. Thanks again to you and the others who have posted to my calls for help. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to open the glove box by prying down the right side of the box and then using a long skinny screwdriver push in one of the catches of the latch. (see the links above for a photo of latch). I bought a new upper latch (see part 3 in diagram illustrated above) for under $13 from dealer. I applied a little bit of Anti-Seize grease to the "J" hook and reassembled. Glove box now working properly again. Woohoo!

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
I was able to open the glove box by prying down the right side of the box and then using a long skinny screwdriver push in one of the catches of the latch. (see the links above for a photo of latch). I bought a new upper latch (see part 3 in diagram illustrated above) for under $13 from dealer. I applied a little bit of Anti-Seize grease to the "J" hook and reassembled. Glove box now working properly again. Woohoo!
Love it, love it, love it !!!!

I love DIY's and expecially when the DIY'er comes back and tells us how he/she did it :thumbup:

Thanks TahoeBronco

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts