BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to change-out my transmission oil in my 2004 330ci and ordered the necessary parts. I have the steptronic. Here's the question - the pan gasket came from a reputable supplier, I assume it's correct. The pan gasket is stamped GM 96 025 876. It's definitely the GM logo. So why would a GM gasket fit this trany? Globalization of car parts these days? I assumed BMW made their own transmissions - maybe not? The car was assembled in Germany. I've only had one electronic "hick-up" otherwise, the transmission seems to be fine.

Totally teutonic trany?

GrantG.

·
Pundit
2,512 Posts
I'm getting ready to change-out my transmission oil in my 2004 330ci and ordered the necessary parts. I have the steptronic. Here's the question - the pan gasket came from a reputable supplier, I assume it's correct. The pan gasket is stamped GM 96 025 876. It's definitely the GM logo. So why would a GM gasket fit this trany? Globalization of car parts these days? I assumed BMW made their own transmissions - maybe not? The car was assembled in Germany. I've only had one electronic "hick-up" otherwise, the transmission seems to be fine.

Totally teutonic trany?

GrantG.
That's a good question for your supplier and/or local BMW Parts Dept. :thumbup:

·
Keeping it surreal
43,298 Posts
BMW has sub-contracted auto trannies from GM for 15 years....nothing wrong with that....the GM units seem to hold up as well or better than units from ZF.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
BMW used a GM sourced 5 speed auto in your car, the manual tranny is ZF. Auto trannys are something americans can do well. BMW uses GM trannys in a lot of their vehicles, ie.. X5

·
Urban Knucklebuster
409 Posts
The American GM trans, used by the German BMW, is manufactured in France. gordo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts