BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the following over in the E90 forum, and figured I'd share my thoughts over here in the F30 area as well:

I'm researching the 2011 335i. I understand that was the first year for the N55 engine.
The main question I have is whether or not this car had the old hydraulic assisted steering found with the N54 engines or did it get the new electronic assisted steering found in the F30?
What automatic transmission was paired with the 2011 N55 engine: the 6 speed or did it get the new 8 speed? My research tells me it held on to the 6 speed auto.
Any "first year" reliability issues with that new engine (N55)? While the rest of the car was pretty well developed, did the new N55 have any issues that were addressed in later model years?
I currently drive a 2012 335i sedan and previously had a 2009 328i coupe. While I like a lot of what the new F30 has (fantastic gas mileage, improvements to the cockpit, etc...), I do miss the steering, handling and smaller size of the previous generation and have considered looking for a clean 2011 M Sport to replace my current ride. To be honest, if I could buy a new 2010 M Sport (N54 equipped), that would probably be tempting as well, but I do like some of the advances found in the N55 (reliability, fuel mileage, etc...).
I've toyed with going back to a coupe (2012 or 13), with my eye on the 335is, but my practical side remembers why I moved from the 2009 coupe to the 4 door F30 (three sons that need to get in and out of the car).
Bottom line: I want a fun/enjoyable car to drive, and I, like so many others, have found the F30 to be a little lacking in that department and hope I can reclaim that it a clean last generation 335i.
Let me know your thoughts... Feel free to play devils advocate with my ideas.
Thanks.

I moved from the 328i to the 335i in search of more power and performance. I was drawn to BMW for the fun of driving their vehicles, and my old 328i cemented me to the brand. Test drives of the F30 were always fun, but now that I have more time in the seat with it, I realize that many of the reviews are accurate: this new generation is less satisfying to drive as an enthusiast (suspension, steering, handling, size).
There are things i like about the F30 over older versions (increased efficiency, cup holders, etc...) but there are definitely improvements that i could live w/o: HUD, auto off, economy mode, electronic assisted steering, softened suspension.

So, as i asked the E90 guys, play devils advocate with me. i know many on this forum have previously owned the E90 335i, so your opinion will really help with my decision.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply ^. Surprised to hear how much happier you are with the 435i over the 335is. I've driven the is and thought it was a great car, and if it wasn't for the fact that I need to be a little practical, that would be the car I'd go after. I have to admit, that i have not driven a 435i, but once again, a coupe is just not practical right now.
Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.