BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Napa has M3 ignition parts. boots, plugs, coils, How do I identify the engine. I am told it has an E50 intake. I'm told its a 2002? eng. swap but don't want to assume. I hear E50, E52, E54, 5 choices of coil assemblies, 10 choices or more of plugs, 2 choices of boot, brands include plugs;Champ, Autolite, Ngk, plugboot; Altron, Belden, coil assy; Echlin, Altron, Delphi. This will help me fix the overhead clicking thats a current problem a slight miss is present. The coil at issue may still be good. There's no time to send off to a fancy German themed parts house at this time. Any recomendation's will be very helpful thank you. .... Is oil seepage in the plug wells common?

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
No but seriously, there is no such thing as an E engine designation. E designations are the generations of car. For example you have an "E36" BMW M3.

Your 1996 should be equipped with an S52 motor. If there has been a swap done to an S54 it would be pretty apparent.

Does the engine look like this?

Or this?

Obviously the parts are going to be dependent on which motor your car has, I haven't heard of too many people doing S54 swaps though.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
Is oil seepage in the plug wells common?
No, sounds like you need a valve cover gasket. Also, the ticking could be a simple valve tick, I have to overfill mine with oil ever so slightly to prevent it. As for ordering parts, you can get good prices on OEM parts you know will fit from one of our sponsors. I get stuff from getbmwparts.com. I usually get stuff in 2 days too.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
NO! his 96+ is a S52....

95 was the ONLY year they had the S50...
'twas a typo, thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. :)

I edited it in the post.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
You're my age right?

When a group of high school/college students are lounging around in a room watching a movie or something making more bodily contact than puppies and someone else walks into the room and goes HAND CHECK!! to make sure everyone's keepin it clean?

:dunno: Just a somewhat common joke among my friends. :)

·
Sexy Sax Man / Kebab Lord
6,521 Posts
You're my age right?

When a group of high school/college students are lounging around in a room watching a movie or something making more bodily contact than puppies and someone else walks into the room and goes HAND CHECK!! to make sure everyone's keepin it clean?

:dunno: Just a somewhat common joke among my friends. :)
oh ok....I see...(not really) ... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its my 2nd day, I stand corrected, my son bought this car. His words, "it has a E 50 intake" He knows what a 2X4 is but.... I'm not pretending I know anything about these "M"machines. I have been in many engines over the years any of those being DOHCammers. This engine is very refined. I am going one step at a time. I'm thinking the engine is over all in excellent condition. thank you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, Great input, I haven't even had the engine cover off yet. I've only peeked under the hood. I.have 30 + years experience in the mech/tech field. I'm not guessing. I'm asking simple ?'s. If valve covers "O"rings leaks are not common then I won't be so hesitant to pull a coil boot, generally a boot will seal the upper plug from oil contamination until it's pulled. Water is a different story. My son is pulling in at 7am tommorrow and needs to drive 300miles. Thanks for those nice pics, As I said before, I just took a glance and it looks like it has the plastic runners showing, where the other engine looks to have a solid intake or plenum cover with a seperate butterfly rack. I didn't notice the fuel rails either if they are f-rails. The big overhead cover maybe hiding some of that. What's the difference in those 2 configurations? I'll get pics of the thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the help. I pulled the 5 & 6 coils to find #5 loose finger turning it a half turn to seat it and a full turn to tighten. the boot was toast and carbon tracking down the porciein. R&R 6 plugs, 6 boots. #5 the only problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts