BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my car for 4 years now and I am starting to get that "i need/want a new car itch" I really love my Acura RL especially the SH-AWD but it is starting to just feel outdated. I have considered replacing it with a newer RL but it just doesn't seem worth it. The quality of the Acura has been pretty good so far. I have had minor issues that were pretty annoying but for the most part it has been a great car so far especially since I beat my cars up. I have been looking into a 535xi and I am starting to really like them and they are about the same price range where I wanna be. Has anyone driven a RL enough to feel like it was an upgrade or downgrade going to a 535? You can almost get a 535 loaded with plenty of options and there are certainly alot out there to choose from. The RL is pretty standard but was very luxurious. I know this is a bimmer site but what are you guys feelings?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've put a few thousand miles on a 2009 RL, and own a 08 535xi. I think the BMW feels noticeably more solid, more secure, and more capable. (In the sense that if they both can do all the same things, the 5series does its thing more easily, for longer.) The RL is always pleasant; the 5er can be verry pleasant in one application, and is happy to be driven hard once the kids are on the curb. It may be that the RL is less expensive to operate, but the difference in pleasure-of-use is worth it to me, especially as a long-term owner.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Welcome to the board. The 535 was introduced as a 2008 model year (althoug the 2008 model year was extremely long). I don't have any experience with an RL but have to second what the previous poster said. The 535 xi is a great car - it behaves like a gentle sedan when needed but has plenty of sport in it. Just make sure to do you home work. My 535 xi has been pretty reliable with the exception of the High Pressure Fuel Pump. There are plenty of 2008 535 xis on the used market as most people are turning in their leases. I would recommend a car with comfort seats (which are 20 way adjustable (I think)). Ironically, they come as part of the sports package - which for the xi is only cosmetic (shadow line trim, better looking steering wheel and comfort seats).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 05 RL now and just got into a 2008 CPO 550i 3 weeks ago. Still have the RL and planning to sell it in the summer.
I must say, I'm actually torn between the two but ultimately the RL is losing...for now.
RL:
- Has just about all the nifty bells and whistles as my 550i (even including the little ambience lighting in the door handles/door pockets/foot well to the automated rear sunshade) as standard. I don't have the 550i's lane departure, night vision, HUD and other higher end options though.
- Awesome "feel more confident in the rain" all-wheel drive.
- Feel more secure on long-term reliability
- Better navigation with XM traffic display
- More user friendly controls and buttons. Though I'm getting used to the iDrive now.
- Keyless locking/unlocking through door handles is more responsive. Can also auto unlock doors upon "Park".
- Better cup holders. :)
- More direct steering wheel controls/buttons
- Ability to play DVD Audio in full Dolby 5.1 surround
- More displays of mechanical readings like engine temp, actual TPMS readings on each tire, trip B, etc.
- A tad bit better gas mileage (like 2-3 mpg better at most).
- More center console storage with 12v plug
- Stereo volume level indicator

550i sports/nav/comfort/SAT/logic7/iPod/sirius/F heated seats:
- Definitely feels more solid and the driving experience is unbelievable.
- Power, handling and road feel is awesome.
- More comfortable seats with tons more adjustability
- Maintenance included
- Steering is tight and heavy.
- Bass in stereo better but overall sound quality is not.
- Graphical and audible parking distance sensors.
- Passenger F seat heater heats back as well.
- Sport transmission shift much faster
- Nicer leather
- Angel Eyes
- Keyless touch lock/unlock works on rear doors
- Ability to roll up windows/sunroof from keyless touch
- Ability to send Google maps to the car if you have the concierge BMW Assist package
- Definitely more sportier/aggressive exterior
- Option for auto ventilation during hot days
There's probably more on each but I'm just listing what I can think of right now.

Bottom line for me is that the RL is a great car with very similar option/gadgets but is more conservative. Bimmer is more of a drivers car with power, handling and feel.
Hope this helps.
You can see more details of my RL and 550i here: http://www.socal28.com
I'm also on the rl.acurazine.com as well.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your feedback Steve. My best friend just bought a 650i and driving that I feel the luxurious feel of the car. I am pretty sure I am going to do the 535xi just glad to get some feedback from a fellow RL owner. I am on acurazine also and I love that community and hope this site is just as friendly. I am looking to get my hands on a 535xi with HUD, back-up sensor, premium package, and the sport package. Hopefully a few goodies. I also have to get the extended coverage because maintenance is something I do not want to deal with at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts