BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
December 2015, I leased a brand new 2016 550i xDrive Msport, fully load.

I love this car, but I am going absolutely insane from a small vibration/rattle that developed around 3,000 miles. I've been trying to figure out the source of the rattle for months and have finally located it.

It's coming from the module right above the driver's side glove compartment that holds the buttons for Head Up Display, Lane Departure Wanring, etc.

The rattle is induced when it's warm outside and I have the AC on. About five minutes after the car is started and begins to cool down, some component near that area must begin to shrink as the air cools from the vent above. This results in the module holding the buttons to turn on/off the Head Up Display, Lane Departure Warning, etc. to make a slight rattle as it vibrates in concert with the car going over even the smallest of road imperfections.

If I gently press the areas in the attached image, the rattle is silenced, but it immediately returns if I release pressure.

There are two screws within the drivers glove box and I have tried to tighten them, but it has had no impact on the rattle. I have not yet tried loosening them, but may tomorrow if I have to drive anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is actually vibrating and how to silence it? Can I get behind that module without tearing the entire Dash apart?

I have attached an image showing the source of the rattle and where I can push to silence it.

Any ideas would be quite appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Brand new car and you've found the source of the rattle. Take it to the dealership and get it fixed. Why are you trying to fix it yourself? That rattle is simply unacceptable. Could be something loose piece in the module itself. I'd just get the dealer to fix it and bill BMW for the trouble.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
December 2015, I leased a brand new 2016 550i xDrive Msport, fully load.

I love this car, but I am going absolutely insane from a small vibration/rattle that developed around 3,000 miles.
A DIY voids factory warranty for any issue at all resultant from your maintenance.

Any issue.

Any.

Sooooooooo, you'll be making an appointment to end this water torture?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Uh, come on guys he has a brand new car and doesn't want to part with it...if he can make quick-work of the problem (at least that's how I feel).

The offending panel pops out, if I remember correctly. I would "pop it loose" (leave the wiring connected, etc.) and drive around. See if that resolves the noise. If so, it's either something like the wires or just the way the panels rub together. Either should be an easy fix.

I swear I had a similar issue with my 2011 on the storage compartment.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Uh, come on guys he has a brand new car and doesn't want to part with it...if he can make quick-work of the problem (at least that's how I feel).
While I might agree with this sentiment, I think it is important that he/she gets a history going to the car's issues with the dealer, just in case it ends up being one of those lemons.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not a DIYer by any stretch of the imagination - ask my wife.

I only posted because I thought someone might have encountered the same issue and knew of a relatively simple fix that I could do myself. So far, looks like that isn't the case.

My concern with just going to the dealer is that they may or may not fix the issue and there is a strong chance of getting the car back with damaged door and dash trim because they took the entire door and dash assembly apart to find the issue. And, as I said, no guarantee they can fix the problem. Perhaps a bit pessimistic, but I speak from experience.

Based on the responses so far looks like I've got two choices left - live with it or take it to the dealer and accept the chance of collateral damage and the associated headaches of addressing those problems.

Look forward to any other responses and appreciate the input.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lol, this bugged me when I first got my 535i. I heard one rattle when going over some bumps. Some days it would not not rattle. If yours is like mine you found the spot. I took apart the surrounding trims in that are and found out later its the door to that storage compartment.

Took me 2 weeks to find it placing pressure all around the area. I ended up just wedging a piece of folded electrical tape around the door and it doesn't rattle anymore. I remember when I couldn't find it right away I would turn up the stereo, that's how much it bothered me too.

My 535i was still under warranty but for such a small issue I didn't want to risk the dealership creating more of a mess. Taking apart dash and create other rattles/creek, bad wash creating swirls, etc...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Spray the surrounding area with leather conditioner, where the plastic meets the console. Cover buttons with towel and saturate the area. Enjoy the peace.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
You may just have to deal with it because they will not fix it if they can't duplicate it, which is often the case. Out of my 10 BMWs, only 3 of them have been rattle free and that includes my current 550i. I had an M5 prior to this and that the Bang and Olufsen speakers drove me insane because it rattled like hell.
Try to get them to fix it and it they don't, just increase your radio volume.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Use the suggestion from V8power! That will "soften things up" just enough to get rid of the noise. It may not be a permanent fix, but it will help isolate the offending area and offer some comfort in finally figuring out what it is...all without the Dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts