BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I noticed that my tire (front drivers side) did not look right. It looks like the beginnings of a bubble. I have to go on a 500 mile trip next week and I don't want to take any chances. I'm looking for some advise. You would change this tire, right? TIA

·
Registered
85 Posts
Perhaps you should go to a tire store and check it out. It's one thing just looking at it, then it's another when it's going 80mph on a hot asphalt. Get to a tire store!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I'd guess that tire has internal damage ... could be from an impact that didn't cause a sudden failure or it could be from a manufacture's defect. Only a professional examination will tell. If it's the latter it should be covered under a manufacturer's warranty - even if it was an OEM install and not a replacement tire. If it was caused by an impact you could get some help IF you had a W&T warranty OR if it was a replacement tire from manufacturer that bundles road hazard coverage with their tires even when sold through a BMW (not a tire store) service center. Conti's has such a warranty - others might as well - check with the manufacturer.

As for its safety - I've driven on tires that looked like that for hundreds of miles (mostly because the defect was on the inside of the tire and the outside and tread looked perfect.) On the other hand it could fail suddenly (as suddenly as RFTs do - and they don't usually blow-out like tires of old.)

Better to be safe than sorry!!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
That bubble is pretty minor, I would take a chance. Worst case scenario is if you get a flat and a bubbled sidewall is a compromise sidewall which might not support the weight of the car with no air. Bring a bottle of slime and a air compressor along for the trip.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Really?
I guess i think that i would check it out, and, if needed replace it.
I always think in terms of choosing the timing of things, if i ca n.
Like dealing with a flat on the highway, or after coming home from dinner, or tha t critical appointment you end up missing. Or chosing the time i go to the tire store, having a cup of coffee, and then on my way on reliable tires.
Better safe imho.
No savings if you end wrecking the rim.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,481 Posts
That bubble is pretty minor, I would take a chance. Worst case scenario is if you get a flat and a bubbled sidewall is a compromise sidewall which might not support the weight of the car with no air. Bring a bottle of slime and a air compressor along for the trip.
I assess the risks differently. If a bubbled sidewall is a compromised sidewall, the tire should be replaced as soon as possible and before a long road trip. It might hold up for the trip. It might not. But the consequences of being wrong are very different if it does not hold up. IMHO the tire should be replaced. Once you reach that conclusion, just do it without delay.

·
Registered
353 Posts
IF your traveling out of a very very popular area you may find the tires are not in stock, could hold up your trip if it goes at the 'worst' moment, and normally stuff always fails at the worst moment. Believe it or not some places claim they can't put a RFT on a rim least not w/o scratching it up--- BTW I am pretty sure as mentioned above slime won't work for a side wall defect nor anything else(side wall) especially on a run flat.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for all of the replies. I ended up buying a replacement from Tirerack. The Dunlop OEM runflats are currently on special if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I assess the risks differently. If a bubbled sidewall is a compromised sidewall, the tire should be replaced as soon as possible and before a long road trip. It might hold up for the trip. It might not. But the consequences of being wrong are very different if it does not hold up. IMHO the tire should be replaced. Once you reach that conclusion, just do it without delay.
The OP is asking if that tire look dangerous and my opinion was that it is a very minor bubble, no very dangerous in my opinion. I guess the OP is better off being save than sorry, but there are many BMW owners driving with bubbled Goodyear runflats, I have never heard of a case where the sidewall completely gave out. The bubble in the picture is very minor, of course it is saver to replace it, but the chance of that sidewall giving out is very slim.

·
Registered
208 Posts
you know, im not an expert, and, as such, I am not able to really KNOW the sidewall/tire condition.
and as such, a very conservative approach

what I do know, is that I feel better knowing I can rely upon the tires, especially in an emergency maneuver, or, out in the sticks, on a super hot summer pavement at speed, etc.
over the years I have learned that cheap can be dear, ie screwing up a rim, caliper etc.

I know the feeling of having not-so-great-in-the-snow "all seasons" and then trying to get through a modest snow storm....it affects my sense of security and car performance. it can be a bit dicey too.
so I guess it boils down to knowledge in correctly assessing these things.

I think im not very good at this.

I too have had such "bimps" or waves in my old Volvo sidewalls at one point, I recall, and as I was driving in town, and feeling "itll be alright" together with the security of lower speeds, short trips, and urban environs, I was willing to see what happened. probably less so if I were on the highway or on some washboarded, rough, rocky mountain roads.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,481 Posts
I think being conservative about tires is the way to go. The consequences of being wrong are just so very different. If I am wrong that the tire should be replaced, the consequence is that an uneventful trip occurs. You buy some time to buy a tire but you will buy one no matter because a sidewall cannot be repaired. If those who would take the chance are wrong you end up with a flat on a road trip away from home and because the problem was in the sidewall and not the tread, you could be stranded. You buy a tire under duress and probably pay more. Taking that risk in just unwise when there is such an easy fix.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I think being conservative about tires is the way to go. The consequences of being wrong are just so very different. If I am wrong that the tire should be replaced, the consequence is that an uneventful trip occurs. You buy some time to buy a tire but you will buy one no matter because a sidewall cannot be repaired. If those who would take the chance are wrong you end up with a flat on a road trip away from home and because the problem was in the sidewall and not the tread, you could be stranded. You buy a tire under duress and probably pay more. Taking that risk in just unwise when there is such an easy fix.
I am all for tire safety, but as far as bubble goes, from 1-10, that bubble is a 1 or 2, far from an emergency.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts