Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving closer to purchasing a 03 745LI. I will have my mechanic who knows BMW give it a go over. I will probably have to pull the tranny for a rebuild, He pulled the codes this weekend and will get back to me on the results

What cylinder compression numbers should I look for? if the tranny is out is there any preventive maintenance that should be done? I read somewhere about a coolant tube that runs from the rear of the block to the front? and some sort of inspection plate on the back of the block?

I dont know the history of this rig so should i be expecting to change the timing belt and water pump?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am moving closer to purchasing a 03 745LI. I will have my mechanic who knows BMW give it a go over. I will probably have to pull the tranny for a rebuild, He pulled the codes this weekend and will get back to me on the results

What cylinder compression numbers should I look for? if the tranny is out is there any preventive maintenance that should be done? I read somewhere about a coolant tube that runs from the rear of the block to the front? and some sort of inspection plate on the back of the block?

I dont know the history of this rig so should i be expecting to change the timing belt and water pump?

Thanks

Steve
The coolant transfer tube is inspected from the front requiring the water pump to be pulled, and yes replace the water pump if you have it out. If it turns out to be bad, it's a several $k job to repair unless you use one of the quick-fixes, like BimmerFix for about $300. There is also a pan at the rear of the motor that should be inspected for leaks. It requires the tranny to be pulled for replacement.

The valve guide seals commonly need replacement and this should not be interpretted as a cheap and easy repair. It is very expensive, $2k to $3k perhaps and should be done if you end up replacing the coolant transfer tube to save on labor. If your car is smoking after pulling away from stops, or short idling, it is likely a valve guide seal issue.

These cars are known for long-idle smoke so that is not a problem that can be fixed but exhaust smoke after pulling away from stops are indications of worn valve guide seals. You may be able to eliminate or reduce the smoke with a heavier oil like Mobil 1 0w-40 European Formula (or something similar that is BMW approved) and delay the repair and embarassment of leaving cars behind you in a cloud of smoke.

The CCV gaskets go bad and can cause blue exhaust smoke clouds but these are an easy and inexpensive fix.

For the tranny rebuild I can not reccommend europeantransmissions . com enough. The transmissions are "remanufactured" by ZF certified techs and come with rebuilt torque converters. Mine even came with a rebuilt mechatronic (valve body) and my car has been driving like new for about 2 years now. It was also the cheapest option, by far, even without considering the torque converter and mechatronic are included and tested all together.

On another note, I recall your year 745 was wrought with electrical issues that you should ensure have been sorted out.

Best wishes on your inspection and purchase!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unless you are getting this car for free, AND have the space, tools, and knowledge to address all the issues you undoubtably will face given the year and mileage -RUN AWAY.

They are beautiful rides. But real PIA.

Thanks

Steve
The coolant transfer tube is inspected from the front requiring the water pump to be pulled, and yes replace the water pump if you have it out. If it turns out to be bad, it's a several $k job to repair unless you use one of the quick-fixes, like BimmerFix for about $300. There is also a pan at the rear of the motor that should be inspected for leaks. It requires the tranny to be pulled for replacement.

The valve guide seals commonly need replacement and this should not be interpretted as a cheap and easy repair. It is very expensive, $2k to $3k perhaps and should be done if you end up replacing the coolant transfer tube to save on labor. If your car is smoking after pulling away from stops, or short idling, it is likely a valve guide seal issue.

These cars are known for long-idle smoke so that is not a problem that can be fixed but exhaust smoke after pulling away from stops are indications of worn valve guide seals. You may be able to eliminate or reduce the smoke with a heavier oil like Mobil 1 0w-40 European Formula (or something similar that is BMW approved) and delay the repair and embarassment of leaving cars behind you in a cloud of smoke.

The CCV gaskets go bad and can cause blue exhaust smoke clouds but these are an easy and inexpensive fix.

For the tranny rebuild I can not reccommend europeantransmissions . com enough. The transmissions are "remanufactured" by ZF certified techs and come with rebuilt torque converters. Mine even came with a rebuilt mechatronic (valve body) and my car has been driving like new for about 2 years now. It was also the cheapest option, by far, even without considering the torque converter and mechatronic are included and tested all together.

On another note, I recall your year 745 was wrought with electrical issues that you should ensure have been sorted out.

Best wishes on your inspection and purchase!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts