BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals,

I have an idea to try paint bumpers myself. Compressor and HVLP spray gun is not a problem. The main concern is the paint itself. How to match it? Which brand is the best? How much of paint I need to paint one bumper?
I heard there are services online which somehow match and mix paint. Any recommendations here?
My color is steel blue, btw. I need to paint front bumper (actually, I am getting a new one, M3) and re-paint the rear one.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Body shop is the answer. If you don't have a proper booth then you will probably wind up with trash in your paint. You don't have a proper booth, so you spray the hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. You don't have the ability to know how much flex agent into the paint so your paint job will crack. You probably don't know how to prep the surface, so your paint won't adhere. If you screw it up, you will end up taking it to a shop where they will charge you more to fix your fvvk up. Take it to a body shop. They will match your paint, and you will get a warranty on the work, all that plus it will be done faster.

·
Displaced Charger Fan
876 Posts
Yep, I hate to say it, but paiting a bumper isn't as easy as it sounds. Throw in the fact that your car is 10 years old, and the paint becomes that much more difficult to match (sun, water, cleaners, waxes - everything changes your paint over time), so most shops will have to play with it a bit, or blend it accross the appropriate body panels, to make it look good.

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
I agree that it is not that easy. However if you are dedicated to doing it, your best match will be to take the paint code and the gas door to your local professional paint dealer, and they will match it pretty close. 1 pint will be enough for one bumper. But then you will need reducer, maybe hardner, thinner and clear. You should also pick up some silicon/wax remover, a tack rag, a gas mask (some of this stuff will kill your liver). You will also need a water/oil seperator and no dust.

Good luck.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
PT, forgot to mention surface prep AND more important, type and amount of flex agent to guarantee long-term paint adhesion.

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
HVLP is not for painting cars. You need a professional spray gun that costs about $700. Pay a body shop to do it.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Sorry to dampen your DIY spirit, Nervous, but bumpers are by far the most demanding and unforgiving part to paint on a car, bar none, if you want it to look right and last some time.

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
PT, forgot to mention surface prep AND more important, type and amount of flex agent to guarantee long-term paint adhesion.
Yepper, and anti fisheye solution, and primer.... and sealer...and different grit sand paper...and...and...and

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lol. I think you should feed your diy spirit. As long as you take your time prepping, and find a good dust free env, I've used color matched spray cans and people can't even tell the difference. That is however including heavy time wet sanding, and polishing. Just another view from a religious diyselfer. Sometimes people are willing to put up with subtle differences to save hundreds of dollars. I'm actually painting someones fenders soon, I will post the pics's when i'm done. w/e you decide. Good luck.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed :D And I have plenty of thing to do besides this: swap old CD53 stereo to the new one (with MP3 & Aux support), switch older bulkier HVAC panel to the newer one, swap LCM, replace rain sensor by RLS, install LED tails, corners and side markers, swap headlights :) I'll be interested to see pics of your paint job, however, I think I gave up on the idea to paint my bumper myself :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts