BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

good brand of ignition coils?

2756 13
Hey guys i have a 2001 330xi and ive been chasing down my check engine light for a long time. I finally brought it into the dealership and they told me my ignition coils 2 through 6 are going bad and need to be replaced. What are the best kind to replace them with? $70 ebay ones ok ( For 6) or what about the $200?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Did you pull codes for what was triggering the CEL? Would be surprised if 5 out of 6 of your coils all decided to go bad.

If you decide to replace, I'd go with Bosch. You should also have the older style which is part #12131703228. You can confirm part numbers/fitment on RealOEM.

I would not buy coils from eBay for $11.66/each, as I doubt those will be from any reputable brand. Just ran a quick search for #12131703228 and looks like FCP Euro currently has the best deal for Bosch at $48.99/each: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-ignition-coil-12131748017.
http://www.araparts.com/bmw-set-of-6-ignition-coils.html

i was thinking about picking up these coils they dont look to bad and they arent super cheap?
I don`t think I would trust any parts that can`t even spell correctly in their advertising, to wit:

"This is a set of 6 brand new quality Araparts brand copper wounded ignition coils for your BMW."

That alone does not instill confidence in this product....
http://www.araparts.com/bmw-set-of-6-ignition-coils.html

i was thinking about picking up these coils they dont look to bad and they arent super cheap?
See also:
- What brand is the OEM original equipment manufacturer for your BMW parts (1) & what parts & supplies are best to buy OEM, OES, or OE (1)
general advice; don't cheap out on parts for an e46
time and time again experience has taught us that cheap parts fail fast and many leave you stranded.
you can listen to us or learn from experience. experience is the better teacher if you elect to go thru the pain to get there!

All the crap is cheap chinese crap. They've yet to make good parts for our cars.
I just needed to replace one on my e60 and my local guy suggested I try Napa. Hard to tell by looks, but it's matches the OE perfect. The only thing on the box is ECHLIN. Not sure how long it will last.

I needed one right away.

I've always had great luck with NAPA parts.
Looks don't mean a thing. But either Bosch or Bremi. My 2001 330Ci with 114k miles has the original Bremi coils.
+1.

Appearance counts for squat on electrical parts. Sure, you want to avoid brands that look like they were assembled by drunken monkeys. That leaves brands whose exterior packaging is of decent quality--which tells you exactly nothing about the innards.

Good general shopping process for BMW parts: Price the Genuine BMW (OE--original equipment) part from vendors like ECS Tuning or getbmwparts.com. Next, check your local dealer parts counter--many parts are cheaper than you expect (especially if they offer a CCA discount) and there is no shipping cost. If you can't stomach the price for OE parts, find the OE manufacturer(s) (OEM) of the BMW part (e.g., Mann, Bosch, Sachs, etc.) and shop for those online. If those are still too pricey...well, good luck to you.
time and time again experience has taught us that cheap parts fail fast and many leave you stranded.
you can listen to us or learn from experience.
experience is the better teacher if you elect to go thru the pain to get there!

All the crap is cheap chinese crap. They've yet to make good parts for our cars.
Hey guys. I came to this thread pretty late, but I always like to reach out to as many people as I can about the products we sell.

I own the business above. It's true. The aftermarket is a big hit or miss, but the experience we've had with the BMW coils we sell has been nothing short of fantastic. The aftermarket products we carry are always good quality parts. If there is a problem, the part gets pulled, and we get in touch with our supplier ASAP.

We've probably sold over 5,000 of those coils to date, and we have only had 2 defects. If the topic starter purchased coils from us, it would be great if we can all be updated after some years of use.

Any other questions, I'm more than happy to answer :)

I don`t think I would trust any parts that can`t even spell correctly in their advertising, to wit:

"This is a set of 6 brand new quality Araparts brand copper wounded ignition coils for your BMW."

That alone does not instill confidence in this product....
Glad you pointed that out. Just corrected that. Back when I worked at a shop, we used to use that word for anything with windings. Definitely not a good habit.

David
Owner of Araparts
Facts of life:

We're always suspicious of a first post from a vendor who is not a sponsor self ID'ing his parts as excellent.

Where are your araparts manufactured?

Pardon if the replacement guarantee doesn't instlll big time confidence in us. Small compensation after we're broken down on the side of the road 45 miles from home, and the labor to replace is much more aggravating than the cost of a replacement part. We'd rather go with name brand right from the start.

Please post your website if you want better respect here.
The aftermarket products we carry are always good quality parts. If there is a problem, the part gets pulled, and we get in touch with our supplier ASAP.

We've probably sold over 5,000 of those coils to date, and we have only had 2 defects. If the topic starter purchased coils from us, it would be great if we can all be updated after some years of use.
David
Owner of Araparts
That's totally understandable. Not here to sell, or get free links (why I'm not linking the website). The website is araparts. com to answer your question. Just here to answer questions :). Been doing this for a while and I've seen a lot.

I make any effort I can to be present. We're not a vendor. Not yet. We specialize in bulk warehousing of one type of part (ignition coils). We also plan on carrying other known brands (including OE parts) for more options. In the mean time, we've spent time to find manufacturers that make reliable aftermarket parts. The parts are made in China. Yes. It scares a lot of people, but there are lots of reliable products made in China. It just depends on who makes it. We need the people to give honest feedback. Both good and bad. That's where our brand gets its reputation, and it takes decades.

Edit - Can't keep going guys since we're not a vendor yet. I just like to be present and not just a shadow without an ear for your concerns. We will be sponsoring this forum soon!

David
Facts of life:

We're always suspicious of a first post from a vendor who is not a sponsor self ID'ing his parts as excellent.

Where are your araparts manufactured?

Pardon if the replacement guarantee doesn't instlll big time confidence in us. Small compensation after we're broken down on the side of the road 45 miles from home, and the labor to replace is much more aggravating than the cost of a replacement part. We'd rather go with name brand right from the start.

Please post your website if you want better respect here.
Decent of you to address my queries.
Yes it will take time. We've been burned too many times before.
We don't blanket object to all China manufactured stuff, but it does raise a red flag that must be surmounted.
Absolutely agree!
you can listen to us or learn from experience. experience is the better teacher if you elect to go thru the pain to get there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.