BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend's buddy is a mechanic selling a 1986 325 e30 bmw.

problems include: cracked wind shield, dented and rusted hood and right fender, ac only works in 4th notch because of what he says is the blower motor, doesn't start well because hasn't been driven regularly in about a year, and the back speakers are out (but they're alpine's and i can put them in easily), I plan on driving it tomorrow and having a diagnostics check done on it at my friends garage to look into further possible problems.

benefits: Fully loaded; power windows, sun roof, 2 door and locks all open when i unlock front door or trunk. Nice speakers 2 sony xplodes in front, alpines in back (when i install them) and two tweeters on doors. It has two spare tires all 16" stock rims. He's offering it for $400 dollars because he doesn't have time to fix the cosmetics and already has a new car he's been working on, he also says if i don't buy it he's just going to junk it.

currently i drive a 1998 plymouth neon with 125k miles and no problems, and a new sound system i put in including sony head unit (blue tooth capable and ipod) with polk speakers all around. If i wanted to buy this bmw with 150k miles as a fixer upper and give my current car to my brother would you guys agree with me its a smart move or just not worry about it and stick with my car. Feel free to state any opinions or ask any questions, i'm open to anything, thank you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not sure you should just give up your current car. Maybe loan it to your brother? With the rest of the condition of this bimmer you are talking about, who knows how well it has been taken care of? Doesn't sound like it was cared for at all. Personally, for the money, I'd buy it, replace the windshield, replace the timing belt, then drive it until it dies. You just don't know how long that will be, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my brother doesn't have his license just yet anyway so for the time being I would still being driving my car around until the bimmer is up to par. I should also have more information on the bimmer today after it gets checked out and they determine how long they think it can last or what extra work needs to be done, but if i remember correctly bimmers are known to last.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts