BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys - I have VRSF catless downpipes and RB inlets to install and need to decide DIY or have it done professionally.

Does anyone have a recommended installer for these in Northern Virginia? I didn't see anything on the regional forum. I've installed intercooler, charge pipe, intakes, forge DVs and oil catch can. I'm pretty sure I could do the pipes and inlets but it would be an effort. With 2 rotator cuff surgeries in 2 years, I'm looking for options.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Hey Guys - I have VRSF catless downpipes and RB inlets to install and need to decide DIY or have it done professionally.

Does anyone have a recommended installer for these in Northern Virginia? I didn't see anything on the regional forum. I've installed intercooler, charge pipe, intakes, forge DVs and oil catch can. I'm pretty sure I could do the pipes and inlets but it would be an effort. With 2 rotator cuff surgeries in 2 years, I'm looking for options.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
My suggestion is that you shouldn't put catalytic converter-less downpipes on the car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I thought about it long and hard...then I bought 'em. They're going on.

Anybody with recommended installers? I have quote of $1150 to install pipes and inlets. That can't be right, can it?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point about emissions inspection. Skip the downpipes. How about a good installer recommendation for the inlets? Thanks

·
Under the lift arms
12,964 Posts
lol your talking downpipe and inspection never crossed your mind?

I live in a area that does not inspect for emissions, Im lucky.. i can run strait pipe Or open header, and still pass

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh for crying out loud, of course i thought about it. I passed emissions inspection last Dec and i have a 2 year registration. So no worries until Dec 2020. By then i may be in a different car. I just wrote that hoping to get an installer recommendation without the teaching lesson, but that may not be possible on the interweb.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You need to find a BMW speedshop. Dont even bother with BMW garages if they dont specialize in performance and aftermarket parts.

When i was looking for full turbo install, the offers were outrageous ($4k labor) and most shops wouldnt even touch DPs. (im in cali)

I then found a speedshop which would do turbos, DPs and inlets for $1200....
Amazing how an actual N54 speedshop had so much experience they could knock it out in a day for 1/4 the price

If youre in northern VA, call our RRT Racing: http://www.rrtautomotive.com/

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd just gut out my cats and call it a day... at least you'll pass emissions still and get a lot more sound and a little hp out the deal
No, you won't pass with gutted cats.

Catless down pipes are reasonably priced, if you save the stock ones they can be put back for an inspection and removed the rest of the time.

·
Gearhead
688 Posts
No, you won't pass with gutted cats.

Catless down pipes are reasonably priced, if you save the stock ones they can be put back for an inspection and removed the rest of the time.
Not cost effective if your paying someone to install them each time. Monumental waste for minimal gain.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I'll have to DIY.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The underbody cladding obscures the DPs fairly well. Do the east coast inspectors use mirrors or something to check? srs question

The secondary cats clean up any smell (provided theyre hot) so no worries there

OP would have to run the DP fix and use MHD software to fool the readiness test computer though. thats straight forward and quick

note that on the turbo motors, DPs and inlets offer quite a bit of power. Course, thats all in the tune

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well...I tried the DIY. Did OK with with front inlet. Got underneath to look a the downpipes and decided to bail. Maybe I could have gotten it done, but I needed a couple of tools I didn't have and more important, my 57 year old body wasn't prepared for that much effort under the car, on my back, yanking on crap. I'm just not up for that workload right now...maybe never.

Anyway, I found 2 good installers with great reputations and nearly identical quotes, about $1100-$1300 for everything. Plus I'll get a discount since I completed the front inlet already. I'll go this route and see how she does on Cobb Stage 2+ Aggressive. May switch to JB4 plus MHD back-end flash later.

Thanks all for the input. I'll update performance in a separate thread.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'd just gut out my cats and call it a day... at least you'll pass emissions still and get a lot more sound and a little hp out the deal
BOO! What’s up man it’s been a long while since I’ve been on the forum.

OP - can’t help you with an installer out there and it sounds like your options are limited on shops that can do the work. Out here there are tons of shops so pricing is definitely lower then your quotes. Also the Cobb ots maps are nice however maybe try the E85 race maps if you have E85in your area. Good luck with the install.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
BOO! What’s up man it’s been a long while since I’ve been on the forum.

OP - can’t help you with an installer out there and it sounds like your options are limited on shops that can do the work. Out here there are tons of shops so pricing is definitely lower then your quotes. Also the Cobb ots maps are nice however maybe try the E85 race maps if you have E85in your area. Good luck with the install.

nothing much man! i’ve been following you on instagram lol saw your recent post

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 20 of 20 Posts