BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of those cheap $100 cobra ones a few years ago.. and it only seems to pick up the radar used by the private secruity guards in my neighborhood.. it hardly ever works on the public roads and hwys. does anyone know a good radar/laser detector for a good price.. that acutually picks up the chp signals??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
I have heard that the Valentine V1 is best because it also gives directional signals about the location of the radar source (front, behind, side, etc.).

I have also heard that the Passport 8500 is excellent.

My dealer sells these and the Passport SRX that is installed into you car and has diffusers that are placed in the front and rear bumpers that actually scramble the signals when they hit your car and it Guarantees that you will not get a ticket, and will pay your ticket if you get one.

I haven't tried any of these, but also need to get one. I hope to hear a great discussion on this topic to help with my decision.

Any comments?
 

·
Traffic Surgeon
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
Try doing a search. V1 is probably you're best bet, but opinions vary. Do some research before plunking down your cash. Pick up any car mag and you'll find plenty of ads for various detectors too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
I have a Passport 8500 and it's a huge improvement of previous models. The range is really impressive, with much less false alarms. Costs less than the V1 too.
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
I'm lucky to have a V1. It's saved my ass so many times I can't even tell you... there is nothing like knowing 1) how many guns are on you, 2) where they're all coming from, 3) which one is the strongest, 4) what types they all are, and 5) getting laser bogies from Envoys and Caddys.

(#5 is ok, only because of all the previously mentioned features ;))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
webguy330i said:
I'm lucky to have a V1. It's saved my ass so many times I can't even tell you... there is nothing like knowing 1) how many guns are on you, 2) where they're all coming from, 3) which one is the strongest, 4) what types they all are, and 5) getting laser bogies from Envoys and Caddys.

(#5 is ok, only because of all the previously mentioned features ;))
I don't quite understand #5, could you please elaborate?
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
rbright said:


I don't quite understand #5, could you please elaborate?
The frequency of the LEDs which light up the Envoy (and the other various Envoy look-alike vehicles) 3rd brake light as well as the LEDs in the caddy tail lights set off the laser detector. It's only when you're within 1-2 car lengths of one of these vehicles and they're braking, but it's kind of annoying. I also catch laser bogies from places with neon signs (Arby's is a big problem). It doesn't concern me because they don't use laser around here anyhow, except on major interstates and such (and I have yet to pick up any laser readings here).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
webguy330i said:


The frequency of the LEDs which light up the Envoy (and the other various Envoy look-alike vehicles) 3rd brake light as well as the LEDs in the caddy tail lights set off the laser detector. It's only when you're within 1-2 car lengths of one of these vehicles and they're braking, but it's kind of annoying. I also catch laser bogies from places with neon signs (Arby's is a big problem). It doesn't concern me because they don't use laser around here anyhow, except on major interstates and such (and I have yet to pick up any laser readings here).
Very interesting thing to note. Thanks for explaining.
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Yeah it is interesting. The problem (I think) is a lack of frequency regulation, whereby anyone is free to use anything that crosses over into what happens to be the standard laser-gun frequency band. Somehow other manufacturer's (such as BMW, with the LED 3rd brake lights) are paying attention and avoiding this, or just getting lucky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Hey Chris,

Andy said that my neon 3rd brakelight kept setting off the laser on his V1...

The overhead traffic info signs seem to do it too (LEDs also?). The only place I've been tagged by an actual cop with laser was in the middle of Ohio.
 
G

·
rbright said:
I have heard that the Valentine V1 is best because it also gives directional signals about the location of the radar source (front, behind, side, etc.).

I have also heard that the Passport 8500 is excellent.

My dealer sells these and the Passport SRX that is installed into you car and has diffusers that are placed in the front and rear bumpers that actually scramble the signals when they hit your car and it Guarantees that you will not get a ticket, and will pay your ticket if you get one.

I haven't tried any of these, but also need to get one. I hope to hear a great discussion on this topic to help with my decision.

Any comments?
There is also the Passport SR-1 which contains the circuitry of the 8500 but installs in the car, front and read, like the SRX (although it does not scramble radar like teh SRX). I have it in my car, installed it myself, and think it's a great detector for those who do not want a detector sitting in their windshield (either due to aesthetics or because they drive somewhere where detectors are illegal).
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
tam3 said:
Hey Chris,

Andy said that my neon 3rd brakelight kept setting off the laser on his V1...

The overhead traffic info signs seem to do it too (LEDs also?). The only place I've been tagged by an actual cop with laser was in the middle of Ohio.
No shit? I've never had that problem... maybe the 'vert is different since the light unit is lower (in the trunk no?) and therefore has a higher probability of hitting the detector?

BTW good to see ya on the board. :)
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
DINANISR3 said:
so from most of your guys i hear either the V1 or passport 8500.. how much does the radars cost?
A V1 can be had (new) for $399 from valentine1.com -- you can also pick them up on ebay for around $300-$350. I believe Valentine 1 also sells refurb units for $350, with the full factory warranty IIRC.

Not sure about the passport.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
we have bel980, passport 8500, and "new" v1.

all 3 are excellent detectors.

with the caveat that i cannot give you a good read on windshield transmission of signal (GM is notorious for some dumb coating which kills the reception), they are each equally sensitive to K, Ka, and X band.

not sure about laser, but the laser on the 8500 saved my ass in connecticut last weekend big time. picked up the beam glancing off a car in front of me and wham. lo and behold, we drove by the targetting car, and not half a mile later there were 5 cruiser chase cars in a line waiting to go.

anyhow, i really have grown to like the v1. the arrows are wrothless in the urban environment, i find, but on the open highway, they help a lot. the best is once a trooper was on a cloverleaf overpass. at first, the K was to the side, then behind, and then right in front of me.

that was awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
beltronics & escort use same innards.

just in case you were wondering.

the beltronics company or escort radar eithe rmerged or bought each other out. with a couple of exceptions, this is why, for example, the bel985 has the same range and features as the passport 8500.

you can verify this using two independent testing sources, one of which is www.speedzones.com, i think. the other is www.radartest.com, maybe? the unit to unit variance may be less with the passport, however. but am not sure.

in my view, it's like gap versus banana republic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
radar detectors in VA?

Originally posted by TD

I have it in my car, installed it myself, and think it's a great detector for those who do not want a detector sitting in their windshield (either due to aesthetics or because they drive somewhere where detectors are illegal).

How many of you are running the V1 or passport in Virginia? :dunno:

I always thought that the police were able to detect whether you have a radar dector :banghead:
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Re: radar detectors in VA?

riffic said:
Originally posted by TD

I have it in my car, installed it myself, and think it's a great detector for those who do not want a detector sitting in their windshield (either due to aesthetics or because they drive somewhere where detectors are illegal).

How many of you are running the V1 or passport in Virginia? :dunno:

I always thought that the police were able to detect whether you have a radar dector :banghead:
The V1 is supposed to be invisible to radar-detector detectors, but I always take it down if I'm goin through VA.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top