BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took the X5 with the whole family loaded up for a several thousand(1,100 each way) mile road trip. The car did great I took it a bit slow heading up only going 74-84(9 miles over the limit) miles an hour up to Denver and enjoyed the 18 miles to the gallon driving for 16 hours. Along the way my Nav screen started freezing on me which can be annoying when you are looking at the timer read out and calculating average speed with stops.... In the mountains the car screamed over the continental divide passing cars like they they were sitting still.

Finally it was time to return home and so I decided I didn't want to drive as long and stepped it up to 17 mph over the speed limit not wanting the larger ticket of 20+ over. I was making great time too until on the other end of Dallas at 4am the red and blue's popped up in my mirror. I was joking with the cop and he was adding his own 2 cents I had a feeling I may have talked him out of the ticket but no such luck. So the last 120 miles I did 9 over again. This leg only took 14 hours and my fuel economy dropped to 16.5. Then I pull in the garage and my son was sleeping so I lowered the windows to let him sleep in the car a bit longer, sure enough the window reaches an inch from all the way open and drops...

So now I have taken the door apart and the window just popped out of the white plastic clip so I put it back in and tightened the bolt. Problem is the hard plastic piece that the white clip attaches to is cracked. Can I just replace the plastic piece or do I need to replace the whole rail? If it is the rail I will probably wait for it to break more... Positive note, since the door was apart I fixed my handle which was acting up when trying to open the door. The pin had slid 1/3 of the way out and needed to be tapped back into place. Hopefully my NAV screen will leaving the freezing up in the high altitudes or I may have to figure out how to replace it. Engine and trans ran great for 160k miles what a great car! Now I will wait until tonight to scrub the 100's of bugs that I killed off and put her to bed.

·
Imola 4.6
340 Posts
thats a great trip you had.. is yours the 3.0 inline 6? anyway.. i had a 600 mile road trip (each way) with my 2003 4.6. and half way thru the trip the NAV screen froze up for about 2 mintues and never froze again. so it may be a overheating problem in the navi disc case.. ? but either way i dont think you have a big issue. good luck with the window...

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
I just took the X5 with the whole family loaded up for a several thousand(1,100 each way) mile road trip. The car did great I took it a bit slow heading up only going 74-84(9 miles over the limit) miles an hour up to Denver and enjoyed the 18 miles to the gallon driving for 16 hours. Along the way my Nav screen started freezing on me which can be annoying when you are looking at the timer read out and calculating average speed with stops.... In the mountains the car screamed over the continental divide passing cars like they they were sitting still.

Finally it was time to return home and so I decided I didn't want to drive as long and stepped it up to 17 mph over the speed limit not wanting the larger ticket of 20+ over. I was making great time too until on the other end of Dallas at 4am the red and blue's popped up in my mirror. I was joking with the cop and he was adding his own 2 cents I had a feeling I may have talked him out of the ticket but no such luck. So the last 120 miles I did 9 over again. This leg only took 14 hours and my fuel economy dropped to 16.5. Then I pull in the garage and my son was sleeping so I lowered the windows to let him sleep in the car a bit longer, sure enough the window reaches an inch from all the way open and drops...

So now I have taken the door apart and the window just popped out of the white plastic clip so I put it back in and tightened the bolt. Problem is the hard plastic piece that the white clip attaches to is cracked. Can I just replace the plastic piece or do I need to replace the whole rail? If it is the rail I will probably wait for it to break more... Positive note, since the door was apart I fixed my handle which was acting up when trying to open the door. The pin had slid 1/3 of the way out and needed to be tapped back into place. Hopefully my NAV screen will leaving the freezing up in the high altitudes or I may have to figure out how to replace it. Engine and trans ran great for 160k miles what a great car! Now I will wait until tonight to scrub the 100's of bugs that I killed off and put her to bed.
Sorry you had problems. On a long trip my 1999 528 usually gets about 35 mpg. Don't umderstand why more recent BMWs are not more efficient.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats a great trip you had.. is yours the 3.0 inline 6? anyway.. i had a 600 mile road trip (each way) with my 2003 4.6. and half way thru the trip the NAV screen froze up for about 2 mintues and never froze again. so it may be a overheating problem in the navi disc case.. ? but either way i dont think you have a big issue. good luck with the window...
My engine is slightly smaller at 4.4. Alas, the screen keeps turning off all the time now so I need to figure out what to do to fix it. The window is working great for the time being. I mistyped in my earlier post she only has 126K miles on her.

In regards to the ticket I received, the courthouse offered to let me pay an additional 50 dollars on top of my fine and they would not add this ticket to my record, as long as I don't get another ticket in their county in 30 days. All the more proof the tickets are not about the safety but the money! But to save my insurance premium I opted for the extra $50 on top of the 133 speeding fine plus $3 per mile over the limit what a scam...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry you had problems. On a long trip my 1999 528 usually gets about 35 mpg. Don't umderstand why more recent BMWs are not more efficient.
I'm sure had I had less lead in my foot my suv would have averaged in the 20's. I think BMW finally realized the fuel economy craze doesn't concern BMW owners so much that if they can afford the luxury car they can afford the gas. Thus the newer cars not averaging as well but then again I am in a truck not a sleek more aerodynamic machine. I want to add a 5 series to the garage maybe that will get a better fuel economy.....

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have 2004 X5 with 4.4L engine and just made a 3k miles trip - at times drove ~90mph but mostly ~ 75- 80mph with ~80% freeway and 50% flat/ 50% mountains. Average millage was 19.9 mpg

·
Imola 4.6
340 Posts
My engine is slightly smaller at 4.4. Alas, the screen keeps turning off all the time now so I need to figure out what to do to fix it. The window is working great for the time being. I mistyped in my earlier post she only has 126K miles on her.

In regards to the ticket I received, the courthouse offered to let me pay an additional 50 dollars on top of my fine and they would not add this ticket to my record, as long as I don't get another ticket in their county in 30 days. All the more proof the tickets are not about the safety but the money! But to save my insurance premium I opted for the extra $50 on top of the 133 speeding fine plus $3 per mile over the limit what a scam...
my friend, go to the trunk, open the driver side cover.. there you will see the "navigation or dvd holder" should be black.. obiously it is screwed on, but leave your car on so the monitor will start working.. if you see the red power button ON, on the device, and your monitor isnt working, then its from the actual monitor (which i hope not). if that red light isnt on, throw your hand behind that device play with the wires a little bent it and such untill you see the red power button come on.. then just tape the wires in that position.. thats how i solved my monitor problem. if you need photos, let me know il try my best to help you out... :thumbup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my friend, go to the trunk, open the driver side cover.. there you will see the "navigation or dvd holder" should be black.. obiously it is screwed on, but leave your car on so the monitor will start working.. if you see the red power button ON, on the device, and your monitor isnt working, then its from the actual monitor (which i hope not). if that red light isnt on, throw your hand behind that device play with the wires a little bent it and such untill you see the red power button come on.. then just tape the wires in that position.. thats how i solved my monitor problem. if you need photos, let me know il try my best to help you out... :thumbup:
Any suggestions if the red light is flashing?

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Just got back from a trip to the Phoenix, AZ area and averaged 18.7 MPG. Great road trip vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts