Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought $50 scanner and it had no option to clear Service Engine Soon. What are folks suggestion for under $200? I've read you should get one that allows you to bleed the brakes and register a new battery?

I'd like to get one made in America with American customer/tech support too!

Added benefit would be that it works on more than a BMW.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Creator C310 or whatever it is $30 on amazon.

Or go on the diagnostic forum on here and download ISTA (free) this is the dealer diagnostic software and doesn’t get any better and order the cable off eBay ~$20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'll look at the Creator - it's American made? I'm not a PC user (Mac only for over 25 years) so can't use ISTA.

Just checked and it's made in China and also will not register a new battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, good to know about battery. What about bleeding brakes, anything unusual about my car? What about Service Engine Soon light? Sounds like this scanner will do about everything. Wish it wasn't made in China. Have we no good BMW scanner made in USA?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure about brake bleed procedure as I've always had a mechanic bleed my brakes. I'm using a generic OBDII reader from Amazon and the Torque Pro app on my phone (Android) to read and clear codes/SES light.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
A moderate-cost scanner not made in China? Good luck with that search. :-{

Or use INPA, etc., via an imported adapter and PC.

·
Anti-Hack
4,791 Posts
The basic creator 110 I have does all I’ve needed it to (live data for drivetrain). The only codes I’ve ever had are those that I’ve inadvertently causes doing other work, but it identified them too. Ive used it when doing PPIs on X3s. If there’s a light on I’ll usually check fuel trims before reading the code.

I also have the the most expensive scanner HF sells, that can check/read ABS and SRS info along with engine readiness so that I can use it on a multitude of vehicles. I have ISTA but have used it once, it was more trouble than its worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
797 Posts
I found a page on the Creator line of scanners: https://obd2pros.com/scanners/creator/

Reading the review of the C110 it says only BMW / Mini. Reading a bit further the C501 does other vehicles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been looking at the Schwaben too. How's the customer support and documentation? Did the software upgrade work? Some of these scanner companies people complain they can't upgrade.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Foxwell NT 510

i use the foxwell nt 510. the bmw modules help with specific bmw issues.

FWIW, China is the worlds leading manufacturer. They produce to specs. If specs are good, incl material and prod technique then everything is good.

We as the consumer have demanded the best quality at lowest price possible, made in China is what we as consumers have demanded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts