Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to let everyone know about a tire that has worked great on my 98 540i Sport. This is my second set of Goodyear F1GSD3's. It's a W rated tire, so the sidewall is plenty stiff. First set I got 30K. I'm about 10K into the second set and so far so good.

Outstanding dry and rain traction, but let me warn you, don't even think about trying to put them in snow. I got caught in DC last year in snow in my 540i and I didn't think I was ever getting home.

Got them from http://www.tirerack.com

Hope this might help someone.

·
Burnin up the road!
80 Posts
wrghflyr said:
Wanted to let everyone know about a tire that has worked great on my 98 540i Sport. This is my second set of Goodyear F1GSD3's. It's a W rated tire, so the sidewall is plenty stiff. First set I got 30K. I'm about 10K into the second set and so far so good.

Outstanding dry and rain traction, but let me warn you, don't even think about trying to put them in snow. I got caught in DC last year in snow in my 540i and I didn't think I was ever getting home.

Got them from http://www.tirerack.com

Just switched over to those myself recently from Dunlops.
Outstanding grip in the rain, luckily not much snow down here.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
thanks I will keep this in mind... this spring I will need new skins and wasn't sure,
Cool :D

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
I think we are building a consensus that the F1GSD3 is the best tire for the E39! :thumbup:

·
Registered
598 Posts
wrghflyr said:

It's good that You've pointed the speed rating issue. I've got the same impression
that my W-rated SportContacts are completely useless with slightest hint of snow and
temperatures approaching freeze point. The rigid sidewalls and rubber mixture prohibits
winter usage.

On the other hand, just had opportunity to test my WinterContacts (yeah i stick to Conti)
in temperatures like -14F and they still had plenty of grip.

·
Burnin up the road!
80 Posts
texbid said:
anybody like the dunlops????
I just removed Dunlop Sport SP 2000 E 's :thumbdwn: w/ about 3k on them.
No comparison to the F1's , just my 2 cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts