BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 330xi with new turanza el42's (post recall), just switched to michelin pilot sport a/s.

WOW! Ride & grip improved tremendously. You can search see my comments on the xi ride.. I always thought the front suspension did not have enough travel. Well, it turns out, most of the problem is due to runflats. No bottoming out or bangs since my switch - a few days ago - ripples on the road surface are glided over. My other good a/s tire experience was pirelli p-zero nero's. I think the michelins are better.

The steering is still not too sharp (perhaps because of the all-season tread and/or the awd feel). My other car is a porsche with PS2's so perhaps I'm looking for too much here.

If you're on the fence about switching out, and if you get a decent price on the set, I highly recommend switching tires. Do it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I really wish that Consumer Reports or one of the auto mags would do some "objective" testing of this. Anyone who spends a lot of money switching to non-RFT's is going to have to believe that there is a big improvement. Somewhat like the placebo effect.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I really wish that Consumer Reports or one of the auto mags would do some "objective" testing of this. Anyone who spends a lot of money switching to non-RFT's is going to have to believe that there is a big improvement. Somewhat like the placebo effect.
If you think it is a placebo effect then I know you haven't switch to non-RFs. to say the difference is night and day would be an understatement. BMW IMO is not doing its customers any favors by going with the RFs.

·
I'll do what I want!
288 Posts
FYI: The Corvette community for the most part feel the same way, they are replacing their run flats with non run flats and find the ride smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fredric,

I wasn't expecting this much of an improvement. I also didn't spend a tremendous amount (got a very good deal on some tires that were at 90%). In fact, since the tires were coming for almost free, I looked it at it as a nearly free trial...

I'm a bit of a tire fanatic. Have tested several all-season, summer and winter tires on several cars. These are the best a/s I've driven. Next comes the pirelli p-zero neros (that Cap'n Audio has).. The other option was to get mich pilot sport summers. (You know I have the PS2's on the cayman). When we meet again, I'll have you drive it - you can see for yourself. All the small ripples are glided over, ride is noticeably improved. My gf couldn't believe it.

E

1 - 6 of 6 Posts