Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really like the 7 series BMW but I know nothing about them. I’m 6’8” and the extra size seems great. Is it a good idea to buy a used 08 750i with 99k on it. Really want to but don’t want to get the shaft. Any input would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Does the car you are considering have a complete set of service and maintenance records to look at? You should have a pre-purchase inspection performed by an experienced BMW technician.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the car you are considering have a complete set of service and maintenance records to look at? You should have a pre-purchase inspection performed by an experienced BMW technician.

Yes. That is the plan. Just trying to gauge what things have consistently gone wrong with these years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is a fantastic car. Have you driven it? It is fairly roomy. It will cost you to keep it up but less if it was previously well taken care of. I have no ownership regrets and it is still a head turner.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yes. That is the plan. Just trying to gauge what things have consistently gone wrong with these years.

Good! The next order of business is to look through the service records to be sure all the recommended scheduled maintenance was done on time, what type of owner complains are recorded there and the repairs which were done. Does it look like the car was mostly serviced by a BMW dealer or an independent garage? You would be looking for past oil leaks, excessive oil consumption or blue smoke followed by valve stem seal replacement, replaced valve covers, oil pan or transmission pan, replaced chassis/ suspension parts, overheating resulting in cooling system service/ water pump replacement. The last time the brakes were replaced, the date of battery replacement. Any past records related to the transmission and has the transmission been serviced? Last but not least any indication toward the end in the service records of a recommended service or repair which has not been done yet?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Really like the 7 series BMW but I know nothing about them. I’m 6’8” and the extra size seems great. Is it a good idea to buy a used 08 750i with 99k on it. Really want to but don’t want to get the shaft. Any input would be great.

Hello,

I'm 6'3" there is plenty of room. I would find a shop or mechanic that knowledgeable of BMW's. Change your fluids so you know where you really stand. Be sure to get an inspection.

Manfred E.......
2004 BMW 760LI

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
08 E66 97K km coil spring suspension.

Oil change [Castrol 0W40] yearly, coolant drain and fill every three years, tranny fluid and gear oil changed @90K km.

Only issues I have are leakings from driver side timing cover [fixed] and oil cooler seal or maybe alternator bracket seal [not fixed].

Valve cover gasket still soft and no leaks, timing cover seal leaks but not heavy and oil runs slowly inside air cooled alternator.

Never have mechanic or electronic issues so far, No burning oil, the original battery has 12 years old and plan to change in the near future if system shows any battery power weaks.

Car drives great and preventive maintenance will keep it running much longer, but leaking is a time fact sadly.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts