Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to take my son back to College in MN. from MO and they are talking snow on Sat.
I have not ridden the GT ix in the snow yet and am wondering how good these OEM tires are?
Anyone have these LS2s in snow yet?

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
They're all-season. So, they're always going to be compromise. The biggest variable about how well a tire does in snow is tread depth. If you still have the original tires after three or four years, you're likely going to have some miles on them. Anything below 5/32nds inch of tread will seriously degrade snow performance.

The other kicker with LS2's is that unless you goose the pressure up way beyond what the door decal says, they're gong to have excessive wear on the inside and outside of the tread. If you put the pressure high enough to make them wear evenly, you will get a bone jarring ride. ***8230; been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I had to run my LS2's at 15% over what the decal said to even out the tread wear. I finally had enough at 31k miles, and bought some proper tires (Michelin PSS's, in my case). The ride and handling was so much better that I should have done that at 31 miles.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires only have 4000miles on them, and yes, they are M&S. Tread pattern is a bit tight for snow so I assume that they designed tires to pack snow in treads, then the snow on tire grips snow on road...this will only work at very low speeds. Theres nothing like a block or V pattern to grab snow and pull you along. Just wondering how they have fared to the average Joe in snow 2 inches or so. Worse case I can take the Ridgeline which is a tank in the snow with the Mich tires. We had a MODOT snow plow get stuck at bottom of our winding hill so I drove the truck down and helped him out.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Mich PSSs, what tire is that?
Pilot Super Sport, being phased out and replaced with the Pilot Sport 4S or "PS 4S." These are ultra-high performance, "summer" tires. They will get you killed if you encounter even a 1/2 inch of snow with them, lose a lot of dry pavement performance below +40F, and can incur permanent damage if even just installed and inflated below +20F.

I live in NW Floriduh fur the last 20-some years. I've only encountered a few minutes of snow, and that melted when it hit the ground here. So, I can get away with having ultra-high performance tires. But, we're moving to eastern Tennessee soon where we will get an average of six or so snowfalls each year. We'll live in a hilly area. I'll still keep UHP tires on my 535i. But, I'll likely get dedicated snow tires and wheels for Frau Putzer's X3 and my beater. I figure snow tires and wheels are cheaper than trips to the body shop. We spent an extra $2k for xDrive to make the X3 "go" in the snow. I figure it's money well spent on tires and wheels to make it also turn and stop well in the snow.

Here's a Tire Rack video that tests the worst case scenario in winter driving... ice.

https://youtu.be/GlYEMH10Z4s

Attachments

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
FWIW, I'm on my second set of winter tires for my GT. The first were RFT Michelin PA2's that were okay. This fall, the original winter set was too old, so I swapped them for Nokian R3's...what a huge difference! When switching from the original Goodyear tires to the winter ones, I'd see at least a 10% hit on mileage. These new Nokian tires are essentially equal to my summer set for mileage, ride better, and seem to handle better, too. So, while you can't find Nokian tires everywhere, they are around if you look and IMHO, are worth the search. Cost me $1200 for a set installed, about what a new set of Michelins would cost. Now, that series of Michelin is up to, I think, PA4, so they may have made some improvements...I've always had good luck with the Nokian winter tires...they invented them, way long time ago, and Norway does have a need for good ones.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
I just passed 1000 miles on my new NOKIAN WR G3 SUV RFT that have yet to see significant snow. They***8217;re year around all weathers with an intermediate (-25°C to +35°C, -13°F to 95°F) compound and snow tread pattern.

·
got something nicer?
417 Posts
I am about to take my son back to College in MN. from MO and they are talking snow on Sat.
I have not ridden the GT ix in the snow yet and am wondering how good these OEM tires are?
Anyone have these LS2s in snow yet?
I did it once. Immediately drove to my tire guy and got some proper winter tires.

·
GT 4 Me!
44 Posts
I did it once. Immediately drove to my tire guy and got some proper winter tires.
^^^ Smart move. Glad you survived the "once".

While the siping is important for snow traction, the more critical factor is the temperature. The rubber compounds are different. Some people go so far as to call "All Season"s "No Season"s. Winter tires for temps 40F and below, summer above that.

That said, it's hard to justify the cost/hassle when you're not in areas that see extreme temperatures. Hence the invention of the compromise, "All-Season". And of course it's only a factor if you're concerned about ACS (Acceleration, Cornering, Stopping). With the All-Seasons, just be extra careful to drive conservatively and you'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
A winter tire that isn't ancient or worn down will always be better than an all-season or summer tire, but there are measurable differences between winter tire designs as well. I think of it as insurance...you hope you don't need it, but are happy to have it when you do. In the case of winter tires, it might not only be collision damage, it could be your life as well. Nothing will prevent all accidents.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: 2 to 3 inches of snow blown on Highways and on side streets by 40 mph winds did not stop this car. Even practiced a little on an empty gas station lot in Iowa on way to MN. I don't know what people are talking about cuz I had no trouble at all with these tires. Hit gas firmly to try grip and car pulled nicely, without any major slip. Woke up to more snow again at 7am leaving Hotel in MN down a country road to get back to 218. Was on that road for 25 miles thru farmland and no troubles.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Maybe I will call the GT "Tank Reloaded".
’Going’ in the snow is no problem for almost anybody, it is STOPPING that is essential and in-time especially.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
It's the stopping and turning that are the biggest issue. Within any individual car design, things get better in the winter with winter tires.

Plus, not all snow is created equal, throw in some glare ice, and all bets are off...a winter tire will make a huge difference. A dense wet snow versus a light, fluffy one, and the traction available differs considerably.

I travel I-90 through NY and MA in the winter...you see all-wheel drive trucks/suvs and cars off the road everywhere on a bad day...last time it happened, I couldn't even get through to 911 to report some poor soul off the road as all of the lines were clogged. On the worst I remember, they were literally flying off the road...must have seen at least 10 personally happen and others that were stuck in snow banks. Mostly happened when they tried to change lanes. Me, just motored along without issue.

Watch some of the videos at TireRack...the difference is dramatic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True, type of snow makes diff., being from the East coast most my life I have traveled thru a lot of deep snow. A lot of it with rear drive. Most important is speed, moderation and keep the car moving. Sorry but I do rolling stops depending on the vehicle I am in. Keep your distance; theres nothing worse than some clown cutting in front of you as if there is no snow. As for the cars on the side of the road, look at the distance they traveled once they entered the side of the road more often then not its lack of judgement of speed. Our development is at the top of a winding hill (no part of it is straight), that GT pulled up that hill with no sliding, or fishtailing, part me,part BMW all wheel drive, and partly the tires. Again, I don't see these tires being bad in the snow unless the tread is worn down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts