Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 550i Sport for about 12 months - great car! It has about 13,000 miles - I live in Dallas and overall the roads are in reasonable condition. I have replaced 1 Goodyear RunOnFlat tire, and am staring down having to replace 2 more due to sidewall "impact" bubbles. I have asked my BMW dealer for tire options besides staying with the Goodyears - can't see paying $600 per tire every 3 to 6 months. Any suggestions as to replacement tires? Interestingly, I stopped by a Goodyear authorized dealer, and he indicated that he didn't have access to my specific tires yet, and that I'd have to go through a BMW dealer to match the tire. Also, if you are thinking about buying a 550i, it's a great car, but I would consider buying the tire and wheel insurance for $1,100 to $1,300(price depends on the # of years) - if you go through a few tires, much less a rim, it pays for itself very quickly! Matt

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Many of us have installed non-runflat tires and have a small compressor and tire repair kit, such as the BMW Mobility that they supply with their M cars. This was my plan before I knew about the Goodyear problems, so I never bothered with the insurance. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I've had my 550i Sport for about 12 months - great car! It has about 13,000 miles - I live in Dallas and overall the roads are in reasonable condition. I have replaced 1 Goodyear RunOnFlat tire, and am staring down having to replace 2 more due to sidewall "impact" bubbles. I have asked my BMW dealer for tire options besides staying with the Goodyears - can't see paying $600 per tire every 3 to 6 months. Any suggestions as to replacement tires? Interestingly, I stopped by a Goodyear authorized dealer, and he indicated that he didn't have access to my specific tires yet, and that I'd have to go through a BMW dealer to match the tire. Also, if you are thinking about buying a 550i, it's a great car, but I would consider buying the tire and wheel insurance for $1,100 to $1,300(price depends on the # of years) - if you go through a few tires, much less a rim, it pays for itself very quickly! Matt
I had the summer only max performance Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFTs on my 650i for five years and liked them. But, of course, in Pittsburgh I had to use dedicated winter tires from November until April. I had two sets of wheels. 19" in the summer and 18" in the winter. I have two sets for my 550i xDrive as well.

Does it snow in Plano?

·
Registered
2021 540xi M Sport / Premium / Driving Assistance Plus / Parking Assistance
547 Posts
If you don't need all seasons I would recommend the Bridgestone Potenza as well. Had the non-RFTs RE960AS on my last car and they were great and lasted nearly 30K miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the feedback - will also likely formalize my complaint with BMW regarding the Goodyear RFTs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you'd like different tires, whether for performance, safety, reliability or another reason, you should get them. Cost shouldn't be a factor though, because you should absolutely not be paying $600 (or anything) to replace Goodyear LS2 tires that bubble.

While the tires themselves may suck, it has been pretty well documented here that Goodyear has been great about honoring the tire warranty that came with your car, and in many instances (where there have been availabilty problems) has paid for 4 new tires of the owners choice.

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you from swapping out the tires if that's what you want to do, but you should contact Goodyear either directly or through an authorized dealer before you spend any money on replacing the tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - I talked with the number 2 guy at my BMW dealer and he indicated that GY would not cover impact bubbles, and with almost 15,000 miles, I bit the bullet and went with the Potenzas. A local GY dealer confirmed the same, and also that the tire in question was only available via BMW dealers. At the end of the day, I don't have time to deal with problems like these - 4 tires in 13 months (!) and hope to have better luck with the Potenzas.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks - I talked with the number 2 guy at my BMW dealer and he indicated that GY would not cover impact bubbles...
That doesn't make sense. That's what everyone on this board is complaining about, tire bubbles, and they have all gotten free replacements under the Goodyear warranty or their wheel & tire insurance. Call Goodyear and ask them.

·
Registered
880 Posts
That doesn't make sense. That's what everyone on this board is complaining about, tire bubbles, and they have all gotten free replacements under the Goodyear warranty or their wheel & tire insurance. Call Goodyear and ask them.
The Goodyear warranty does have limits. Full replacement is limited to the first 2/32" treadwear or 12 months from date of purchase, whichever occurs first. After that it is prorated. Each time you replace a tire under the warranty, the 12 months is reset to 0. I think the only limit on the BMW insurance is at least 2/32" tread has to remain if the are going to replace the tire and the overall three to five year limit on the insurance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts