BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, yesterday I was coming home from buying a wheel brush from Autozone, get to a light, and started seeing plumes of smoke. I pull over, pop the hood, see coolant all over the place. Well, I got it home, parked it up, went to fill it up this am to get it to the indy shop and see a crack about 2-3 inchs along the top left side of the radiator. Decided to have the car towed to the mechanic for repair. Anyway, the total job comes to $574.11 which includes replacing the radiator, upper & lower hose, temp sensor, and coolant. The labor comes to $175 leaving the parts to total $399.11. Am I being raped or is that normal for those 5 parts. I think the radiator was $225, leaving $174.11 for the upp\lwr hoses, sensor, & coolant. Let me know what you think. Attached is a pick of the damage, physical, not monetary, lol.

Attachments

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
sounds about right...I was lucky I had mine done under warranty.

You should have had the water pump and your belts looked at too...all the same area.

·
wrencher
150 Posts
That's the spot alright. Looks exactly like mine did when it blew.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I know its DIY but I didn't have the time or patience to deal with it. My aftermarket warranty covered $351 of it, 255 for the radiator & 126 for the labor (1.8 out of 2.5). they don't cover the hoses, sensor, or coolant because they are considered maintenance parts. The belts were changed a few weeks okay, so that's covered. just need to come back to have the WP & Expansion Tank replaced as recommended in other posts.
How much coolant does the radiator take & what is the average price for a gallon of the BMW coolant.

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
ArCaDe said:
Yeah, I know its DIY but I didn't have the time or patience to deal with it. My aftermarket warranty covered $351 of it, 255 for the radiator & 126 for the labor (1.8 out of 2.5). they don't cover the hoses, sensor, or coolant because they are considered maintenance parts. The belts were changed a few weeks okay, so that's covered. just need to come back to have the WP & Expansion Tank replaced as recommended in other posts.
How much coolant does the radiator take & what is the average price for a gallon of the BMW coolant.
Good job on getting the WP and expansion tank done...after that you will be good to go!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just hit 65K on my car! Going to pick it up now. They said they had to replace the thermostat because it was burnt out and the cost was $63.75. That seems a bit much for that.

They also said the floater in the expansion tank is broken, but I will just have that replaced in the near future or DIY.

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
lex89 said:
Is it smart to replace the coolant periodically? Can that help to prevent this?
I do not think changing the coolant will help the problem. The radiator failure on the V8s is a common and KNOWN problem. It simply is UNDER engineered for the car. When you hit 50+K miles...begin to look around. Some people go on much longer and some have the radiator explode much sooner.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have an I6 so I'm not as worried, but I know it's a problem for E39's in general so I'm just being a little cautious.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the thermostat was replaced with the housing. don't know how much both parts cost combined though.

Was told I should of did the expansion tank because he'd have the flush & replace the coolant again to install a new one. is it possible to replace it myself without wasting the new coolant that's in the car now?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with frhsfootball80. Replacing the radiator is fairly easy. For less than what you spent you could have replaced the radiator and done some "preventative" work. Whith the front end dissassembled it is easy to replace the thermostat, waterpump, belts, expansion tank, and all hoses.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ArCaDe said:
the thermostat was replaced with the housing. don't know how much both parts cost combined though.

Was told I should of did the expansion tank because he'd have the flush & replace the coolant again to install a new one. is it possible to replace it myself without wasting the new coolant that's in the car now?
Expansion tank w/ float = $59
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/productx.aspx?sid=vcye1q55yikrvx3eeyokbr45&[email protected]&[email protected]&year=2003&[email protected]%20System&[email protected]%20Tank/Coolant%20Reservoir

Yes you can replace the expansion tank without draining the entire cooling system. You will lose some coolant when you disconnect the expansion hose and return hose. Make sure that you have some BMW coolant on hand

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that link, much cheaper than pelican parts. I did a comparison for all the parts that were replaced and one site may be cheaper on some, then the other will be cheaper on the rest. I guess it's best to check around. I have a local shop that beats the dealer list price, so I will check with them on Monday and see what there prices are. Any other sites recommended for parts?

·
Registered
143 Posts
ArCaDe said:
Well, yesterday I was coming home from buying a wheel brush from Autozone, get to a light, and started seeing plumes of smoke. I pull over, pop the hood, see coolant all over the place. Well, I got it home, parked it up, went to fill it up this am to get it to the indy shop and see a crack about 2-3 inchs along the top left side of the radiator. Decided to have the car towed to the mechanic for repair. Anyway, the total job comes to $574.11 which includes replacing the radiator, upper & lower hose, temp sensor, and coolant. The labor comes to $175 leaving the parts to total $399.11. Am I being raped or is that normal for those 5 parts. I think the radiator was $225, leaving $174.11 for the upp\lwr hoses, sensor, & coolant. Let me know what you think. Attached is a pick of the damage, physical, not monetary, lol.
no you didnt get raped if he did a good clean job, ck price at dealer would have been twice as that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.