BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gib mir Feurschutz!
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new 7 series, has anyone gotten theirs coded yet?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yo Chris, long time. Let's see some pics

I've been meaning to download the newest coding libraries, but I've been advised that the complete list of all the G modules isn't up yet. Some of the modules are still the same as the F01 like trunk opener etc., but I think for lighitng and all of that it's going to be different

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I'd love to know if it's possible to code away that obnoxious double honk when you lock the car while it's running.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,487 Posts
I'd love to know if it's possible to code away that obnoxious double honk when you lock the car while it's running.
Why would you do that? Warming up?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree .. that is annoying... one of the things I don't like about the new 7. I know someone asked why we would do that, I have 3 dogs, and they go everywhere with me. If I have to run into the store, I keep the car running and lock the doors...

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
No, I'm not. It's on all the new BMWs, I believe. It's loud and obnoxious.
Just guessing, but could this be safety related? With everything being keyless nowadays it is not unforeseeable for people to exit and lock their vehicles with the engine running. Also, there are a myriad of valid reasons to want to lock-up with the engine running. Perhaps the double honk is meant as a reminder.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Why would you do that? Warming up?
Yes, I do lock the car while it's on all the time and love the capability; whether to warm up or cool down; also when running into a store for a quick moment, not wanting to put extra strain on the battery and starter with BMW's dreaded reliability of same.

Just guessing, but could this be safety related? With everything being keyless nowadays it is not unforeseeable for people to exit and lock their vehicles with the engine running. Also, there are a myriad of valid reasons to want to lock-up with the engine running. Perhaps the double honk is meant as a reminder.:dunno:
Yes, I'd speculate this is safety related; too bad remote folding side view mirrors are disabled from the factory; it's how I'm able to determine at a glance that I've locked my doors while the engine is running.

I've had a slew of loaner vehicles and don't recall this double honk; maybe new for 2017 Model Year? Any other alert would've been fine, but double honk upon locking is what's found on American cars (embarrassing on a BMW).

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Well, before you would still get a beep/tone, which was fine, but now it's a LOUD horn honk. My wife's been going through some medical treatments, so I often will pull the car up to the entrance of the facility, then get out to go assist her from the building to the car. I always have locked the car as a precaution. Now, though, every time I do, the honking ends up scaring the sh!t out of me and anyone else who happens to be standing there. Or, invariably, someone doing the same thing in front of me will assume that the asshat in the BMW is honking at them to get out of the way. Anyway, it annoys me on the 7, particularly since my X6M doesn't do it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, I do this all the time and love the capability; whether to warm up or cool down; also when running into a store for a quick moment, not wanting to put extra strain on the battery and starter with BMW's dreaded reliability for failed batteries and starters.

Please be quiet Mr. Whine, and enjoy your imaginary Porsche. Thanks! :thumbup: ;)

Yes, most likely safety related; too bad remote folding side view mirrors are disabled from the factory; it's how I'm able to determine at a glance that I've locked my doors while the engine is running.

I've had a slew of loaner vehicles and don't recall this double honk; maybe new for 2017 Model Year?
I have the g12 never seen it on any other

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I've had a slew of loaner vehicles and don't recall this double honk; maybe new for 2017 Model Year?
It's making it's way through the range. My '16 X6M doesn't do it, but my '16 7-Series does. I was in my Sales Manager's X5 the other day ('17, I believe) and it did it.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
It's making it's way through the range. My '16 X6M doesn't do it, but my '16 7-Series does. I was in my Sales Manager's X5 the other day ('17, I believe) and it did it.
True; thanks for this info.

So it's new going forward.

Hope they fine tune the tune. ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I never understood why BMW has these different settings for the US and then provides no interface to change them.
Things like folding mirrors and locking behavior - there is no regulatory requirement for any of this.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
I never understood why BMW has these different settings for the US and then provides no interface to change them.
Things like folding mirrors and locking behavior - there is no regulatory requirement for any of this.
Do those features make or break the car for you? I view it as Apple iOS verses Google Android. In Android you can change things to your heart content. In iOS you're trusting that Apple gives you something great out of the box. BMW is going the Apple route, and enthusiasts would like to have a bit more Android.

Tim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes - got G12 coded last weekend by Ram. [email protected]
Quite a few items accomplished such as roll up windows from remote, temperature for tires, video playback, nag screens gone, side mirrors fold, fog with high beam...
He has now found trunk close with remote and possibly video playback without speed limitations.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Do those features make or break the car for you? I view it as Apple iOS verses Google Android. In Android you can change things to your heart content. In iOS you're trusting that Apple gives you something great out of the box. BMW is going the Apple route, and enthusiasts would like to have a bit more Android.

Tim
Dealbreaker? Of course not but I am still astonished at the logic.

The Android versus iOS comparison doesn't quite work since these options are available on the same car in other locations.

I thought it was very cool to code our MY12 F02 750 but at the same time couldn't understand why the tire pressure on the US model only showed colors, not the PSI. Easy to code but why?
It was available on the Canadian 7 series and other US BMW models. Just an example.

Can't be "German" logic either since I am German and it makes no sense. Although the Bavarians would call me a "Saupreiss", so maybe that's it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts