BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I have had a long and not entirely satisfactory back and forth with BMW NA customer service. They had called me for my input on the new 540xi so I gave them a list of about ten issues or problems, many of which we have discussed here and on the other forum. I will post that list at another time. I will also post this on the other forum to see if it works there.

One big issue that they can't see to resolve for me is the lack of an owner's manual available in a downloadable .pdf file. GM does this for Corvettes and other models and it is a huge help to have it on my desktop or laptop rather than having to go to the car. I find trying to use their website for those on line guides a huge pain (it took me trying three different browsers even to get in), and I don't find then near as useful as a well organized owner's manual. Their final response was "We regret to say we do not have a web link for PDF copies of Owner's Manuals."

However, miracle of miracles, they do exist. During this correspondence the customer service rep actually sent me a .pdf file of the 2019 5 series manual, which I now have loaded on my desktop. So we know they have all the manuals in .pdf form, they just won't let us access them. Don't know why but I am sure it their desire to control us and our data tightly.

So I will try to attach it but it may not work.If it does, then here it is.

Edit--It looks like the way it works is that if you open it it saves it to your desktop (or where ever you want it on your own computer). At least it does on mine. Let me know if it does or does not work for others. --Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,747 Posts
I was able to select "open" in the normal PDF download dialog. I then did "save as", or that was an option initially. Thanks! I have a 2018 540i and I had captured the text from the online interactive manual, but this is much better.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to select "open" in the normal PDF download dialog. I then did "save as", or that was an option initially. Thanks! I have a 2018 540i and I had captured the text from the online interactive manual, but this is much better.
Glad it worked for you--Bob

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thx

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,346 Posts
Outstanding! I've been looking,unsuccessfully,for one for my (2018) "d" but I'm sure that this will serve me well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
For some reason, Canadian cars still come with an actual paper manual complete with faux leather binder. I don't know why we get it and no one else does. I do know that the glove compartment is not designed to hold it because it doesn't fit. That said, I seldom consult it anyway as it is not the best manual ever written...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For some reason, Canadian cars still come with an actual paper manual complete with faux leather binder. I don't know why we get it and no one else does. I do know that the glove compartment is not designed to hold it because it doesn't fit. That said, I seldom consult it anyway as it is not the best manual ever written...
Ours still come with a paper manual but I like having the .pdf on my computer for reference. --Bob

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 530e so this one doesn't work for me. I did get a paper version that looks similar but, of course, it is not searchable.
The way I got mine was when BMW NA called me for my impressions of my new 540xi, I talked to them and then I corresponded with them via email about a few things. One of my complaints was that BMW did not make a .pdf of the manuals available like GM does. They had a lame excuse that BMW wants us to use their website and gets information there. But they also sent me a .pdf copy anyway. Perhaps if you contacted them they could send you a copy of your version of the manual. I'm confident they have them; just a matter of whether they want to help out a customer. The phone number they publish for proving info on your new car is 866-228-7097 and their email address is [email protected]. It helps them if you have the last seven of your VIN available so they can look up your account. Good luck and if you get one, post it up. -Bob

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,346 Posts
For some reason, Canadian cars still come with an actual paper manual complete with faux leather binder.
My "d" came with a paper manual that covered everything but the nav/infotainment system. I contacted BMW NA Headquarters in New Jersey and was told that this was part of their effort to be "green".I stressed that when one buys a vehicle with a sticker price of about $69K a full paper manual is the least he/she can expect.

I wound up paying $34 for the nav/infotainment manual. :tsk:

·
Registered
G30 540i sDrive | MPPSK | BMS | FTP
198 Posts
:thumbup:Thanks for sharing the manual! I have trouble reading stuff on the phone app due to the small screen. Always good to have a PDF for quick reference.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Mine fits. Move it to the right hand side, and slide the leather binder towards the front of the compartment. (if that makes any sense...)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've looked at this thread and another on Bimmerpost on the same subject.

If I read things right, US customers get the printed OM only with their car. And if they want to see the rest of the documentation for their vehicle, they may be asked to pay $35 to get it. And there is no longer a link to the PDF version of even the OM.

It seems a litlle bit outrageous to me that US customers get the Owner's Manual with their car, but not the Navigation, Entertainment, Communication portion. Nav and at least some kind of radio / CD / USB port is a standard feature of every 5-series, isn't it?

For my 2013 F10, the OM is 240 pages, and the "Navigation, Entertainment, Communication" manual is 130. I was able to download the PDF of the OM from BMWUSA.com, and I found a PDF somewhere for the NEC manual for 2014. So I can read the manual(s), or I can search them on my PC as needed.

You can bet that when I buy my next 5-series, I'll be negotiating "full documentation" as part of my purchase!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've looked at this thread and another on Bimmerpost on the same subject.

If I read things right, US customers get the printed OM only with their car. And if they want to see the rest of the documentation for their vehicle, they may be asked to pay $35 to get it. And there is no longer a link to the PDF version of even the OM.

It seems a litlle bit outrageous to me that US customers get the Owner's Manual with their car, but not the Navigation, Entertainment, Communication portion. Nav and at least some kind of radio / CD / USB port is a standard feature of every 5-series, isn't it?

For my 2013 F10, the OM is 240 pages, and the "Navigation, Entertainment, Communication" manual is 130. I was able to download the PDF of the OM from BMWUSA.com, and I found a PDF somewhere for the NEC manual for 2014. So I can read the manual(s), or I can search them on my PC as needed.

You can bet that when I buy my next 5-series, I'll be negotiating "full documentation" as part of my purchase!
I'm with you! BTW, I searched a bit and was able to find a Navigation, Entertainment, Communications manual .pdf online. It has a copyright date of 2017 (another on line is dated 2014 and appears to be for the older system). Not entirely clear if this is for our current (2019) Nav system but it is called "6.0" and I am hoping the 2017 date refers to ours, but there are very few pictures in this manual so it is a a bit hard to tell. Anyway, here it is. Maybe someone can read it more thoroughly and inform us as to its relevance. --Bob

Attachments

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,346 Posts
Not entirely clear if this is for our current (2019) Nav system but it is called "6.0" and I am hoping the 2017 date refers to ours...
I'm 99% certain (but not 100%) that 6.0 is the iDrive version for 2017 and 2018 models while 7.0 is for certain 2019 models.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm 99% certain (but not 100%) that 6.0 is the iDrive version for 2017 and 2018 models while 7.0 is for certain 2019 models.
In my searches, I did not see a pdf for version 7.0 but will ask the geniuses when I am next over there. How does one discover if the system is 6.0 or 7.0? --Bob

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,346 Posts
How does one discover if the system is 6.0 or 7.0?
I'd wager that your dealer could quickly and easily answer that question.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts