BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My long love affair with BMWs is taking a break - I found an incredible deal on a Tesla Model S that I couldn't pass up, so I'm taking delivery on it in a few weeks.

Problem is that my 2014 428i lease isn't up until Jan-31-17, so I have 4 more lease payments (of $550/mo) on the car.

It has only ~14k miles and is in great condition (I don't expect that I'll be charged for anything at lease-end). The tires are borderline just over/at 4/32". As sad as I'll be to be moving on from BMW (for 2yrs at least), I'll be even more sad to just park the 428i in the garage for 4mos. :cry:

It seems like it's way too late in the game to do a lease transfer, so can anyone advise as to what my options are? Park it for 4mos and preserve the borderline tires? Will a dealer find my car attractive with its low-ish miles and good condition and somehow take it in early? Any other ideas?

(Rationale behind the stupidity: the Tesla I'm getting would ordinarily lease for $2200+/mo - I'm getting it for just ~$870/mo. They're waiving fees right now that I'd have to pay on a January delivery that would total $1200, which is about 2 of the 428 lease payments. Oh the mental gymnastics I've been doing to justify this... It's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of splurge for me.:dunno:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Congrats! Which configuration? 90D?

Try taking your car to CarMax and see what offer you get from them. If it's close to your current buyout, you can get rid of it this way.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
My long love affair with BMWs is taking a break - I found an incredible deal on a Tesla Model S that I couldn't pass up, so I'm taking delivery on it in a few weeks.

Problem is that my 2014 428i lease isn't up until Jan-31-17, so I have 4 more lease payments (of $550/mo) on the car.

It has only ~14k miles and is in great condition (I don't expect that I'll be charged for anything at lease-end). The tires are borderline just over/at 4/32". As sad as I'll be to be moving on from BMW (for 2yrs at least), I'll be even more sad to just park the 428i in the garage for 4mos. :cry:

It seems like it's way too late in the game to do a lease transfer, so can anyone advise as to what my options are? Park it for 4mos and preserve the borderline tires? Will a dealer find my car attractive with its low-ish miles and good condition and somehow take it in early? Any other ideas?

(Rationale behind the stupidity: the Tesla I'm getting would ordinarily lease for $2200+/mo - I'm getting it for just ~$870/mo. They're waiving fees right now that I'd have to pay on a January delivery that would total $1200, which is about 2 of the 428 lease payments. Oh the mental gymnastics I've been doing to justify this... It's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of splurge for me.:dunno:)
Since you are not staying with BMW, the only options you have are to park it (and pay your last 4 payments) or take it to a place like carmax and see what the buyout is on it (which is likely much less than your residual, but you never know till you look).

"pull aheads" are for people who are staying with the brand (BMW FS gives a buyout price to the dealer to keep the car on a discretionary pull ahead). Since you are not doing that, your options are to either pay the 4 payments now (fully pay your lease) and then your lease end disposition fee (which will not be waived), or to see if someone will buy your car for the residual value or greater (getting you out of your lease).

Option 2 is unlikely but possible (under miles is not as big a thing as you would think.. at least unless the car is a popular one that is highly in demand, and your standard 3/4/5 usually dont fit that criteria, but you never know).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Possible to find a friend, colleague or family member interested in your car, and give them a good deal and sell it off? Tax is going to kill it I believe. Finding a private party interested in a low mileage car may also be another route, not sure if you can get close to residual + taxes. Those are very low miles for a 2014. Maybe someone will bite on cragislist or another site.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda figured that I'll have to just eat the payments and park it. Tesla gave me a trade in value 8k lower than the buyout (38k), and I suspect that CarMax won't be much better - I suppose I can always swing by and get a quote though.

The new car is a Model S P90D (fully loaded w/ Ludicrous mode!). After I'm done with this new car, I'll circle back to BMW first to see what's new :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I kinda figured that I'll have to just eat the payments and park it. Tesla gave me a trade in value 8k lower than the buyout (38k), and I suspect that CarMax won't be much better - I suppose I can always swing by and get a quote though.

The new car is a Model S P90D (fully loaded w/ Ludicrous mode!). After I'm done with this new car, I'll circle back to BMW first to see what's new :)
Maybe the model 3 will be easily available then, and you may never look back at BMWs hahaha.

Seems like you got a cracker of a deal on the P90D. Sounds awesome! Did you have a model 3 reservation in place which made you get this deal on the S? :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe the model 3 will be easily available then, and you may never look back at BMWs hahaha.

Seems like you got a cracker of a deal on the P90D. Sounds awesome! Did you have a model 3 reservation in place which made you get this deal on the S? :thumbup:
I reserved a Model 3 on day one :)

I think I'm just a geek for technology and new experiences, and this deal was just too good to pass up. My first love will always be bimmers though. It may have a giant touchscreen and go 0-60 in 3.1s, but it still won't drive quite like a bmw. (though I suppose that BMW-feel has changed a bit over the years - the 4 series was just a bit too insulated/plush compared to my previous 3's e46/e92.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I reserved a Model 3 on day one :)

I think I'm just a geek for technology and new experiences, and this deal was just too good to pass up. My first love will always be bimmers though. It may have a giant touchscreen and go 0-60 in 3.1s, but it still won't drive quite like a bmw. (though I suppose that BMW-feel has changed a bit over the years - the 4 series was just a bit too insulated/plush compared to my previous 3's e46/e92.)
Definitely miss driving my E90! Well, years forward maybe we will have the exact feel back! Enjoy the P90D :)

·
Registered
85 Posts

Congrats. Did you take your 428i to track at all? Seems your tire tread is very low given the mileage you have. If you did track with you 428i, then I want to remind you that you can't take 90D to track. It will overheat and get in limp mode within 1 lap. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats. Did you take your 428i to track at all? Seems your tire tread is very low given the mileage you have. If you did track with you 428i, then I want to remind you that you can't take 90D to track. It will overheat and get in limp mode within 1 lap. Just something to keep in mind.
Thanks!

No, it's never been on a track - for some odd reason, the past three leases, all with between 13-15k mi have been borderline on the tires. Short commute, and I don't drive it hard at all. (makes me wonder why I'm bothering with a P90D) :dunno:

·
Registered
424 Posts
can you just pay the remaining payments and turn it into BMW so you don't have storage and insurance costs, plus risk of other damage?

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,284 Posts
Your best option is to get a quote from Carmax and then go to a BMW dealer(s) and ask them what they will pay for the car. That way you have 2 ( or more ) bids. Then you can decide what to do, pay the rest of the payments or take one of the offers.

·
Registered
579 Posts
just a warning: if you decided to make the final 4 payments and get out of the lease early, be very careful in your dealings with the dealer and BVMWFS. I just did this and they treated me like a deadbeat rather than someone who'd given them their car back early and still made the payments early. You'd think they'd treat someone like me well (and I was leasing a new BMW from them).--but no. If you want more info PM me.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Great deal on the Tesla. Can you share how you got this? I was looking at them, but a 70D was coming to $1200, which didn't make sense to me.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts