BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my key in my jacket pocket i opened the trunk(comfort access),placed my jacket in the trunk and closed it. LOCKED OUT! I called BMW roadside assistance, and the were able to remotely open the driver door with 5min. Nice job. However, was the trunk suppose to relock with the key in it? I know if i try to lock the doors with the key in the car it wont allow it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Similar Story

I had a similar thing happen. I was at the car wash and the clowns there locked the keys in. I had only had the car for a week and I wasn't smart enough to hold on to the door key.

When I called Pacific BMW, they said there was no way to remotely unlock it. I had to have someone at the car wash drive me an hour home and an hour back to pick up the spare...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have comfort access and twice I tried to close my trunk after placing my golf clubs with the key fob in the bag in the trunk. In both cases the trunk closed then promptly re-opened.

·
Porsche Ex-Pat
660 Posts
I too have comfort access, but the 03 did not have the ability to start the car without the remote in the slot, so it does not know when and where the key is. As a result, I also locked me key in the trunk once (i guarantee I will NEVER do it again) and my wife had to bring me my spare key. I felt pretty stupid, I can tell you that.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
i suppose if you only unlock the trunk ! the rest of the car is still locked so the trunk will do the same on closing !! makes sense to me !! but how did you unlock it with out using the remote as surely it cant be secure otherwise !?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I had a similar thing happen. I was at the car wash and the clowns there locked the keys in. I had only had the car for a week and I wasn't smart enough to hold on to the door key.

When I called Pacific BMW, they said there was no way to remotely unlock it. I had to have someone at the car wash drive me an hour home and an hour back to pick up the spare...
I carry one of these in my wallet for just such emergency's. I do have BMW Assist and it can be opened remotely but you never know if you might need it. :)

dj

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i suppose if you only unlock the trunk ! the rest of the car is still locked so the trunk will do the same on closing !! makes sense to me !! but how did you unlock it with out using the remote as surely it cant be secure otherwise !?
I was carrying my jacket with the keys in it. I opened the trunk via comfort access. All the doors were still locked. I guess the trunk relocked after i closed it with the jacket in. I'm surprised that with the keys in the trunk i could not open it via comfort access.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I carry one of these in my wallet for just such emergency's. I do have BMW Assist and it can be opened remotely but you never know if you might need it. :)

dj
where did you get that key copy from, BMW service?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
where did you get that key copy from, BMW service?
It came with my car. It's called a wallet key. It will open the door/trunk, and with the adapter thing in the glove box it will start the car. :)

dj

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
It came with my car. It's called a wallet key. It will open the door/trunk, and with the adapter thing in the glove box it will start the car. :)

dj
where is this adapter thing in the glovebox? I must be blind...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
With comfort access, there is a switch above the rear license plate that will unlock the trunk.

·
Registered
364 Posts

dj
I also have a wallet key and with my 750 the adapter is in the truck tool tray

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why would it be nessasary to carry a wallet key if you were able to call BMW assist to open the car?:dunno:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Why would it be nessasary to carry a wallet key if you were able to call BMW assist to open the car?:dunno:
They may be able to open it, but if I had lost my fob, that is all they could do. Say my wallet is in the car and I lose my fob. I call BMW Assist and they open the car. I fetch my wallet key and my adapter and drive home. Or I lose my fob but my wallet is in my pocket, I get my wallet key out fetch the adapter, and drive home. IMO, that's why. :D

dj

1 - 20 of 35 Posts