BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally got my 325i today. I only drove 40km on the clock, most of which was in traffic but still thoroughly enjoyed the drive. The active cruise control is really nice and i think its a great feature that hasnt been discussed much in this forum, the sensor in front makes the car look really cool. I thought i would perhaps feel unsafe with the car being left to making the decision to brake, but actually it makes perfect sense the way BMW have set the display to show that it is actually "seeing" the car in front! Somehow they have managed to get the car to ignore cars on either lane, yet still track the car in front even in a turn!

However i would love to be able to turn off the safety feature that disables TV once you pull off from a stop, I dont want to watch to TV whilst travelling at 200km/h but in traffic when you move one or two car lengths forward at say 10km/h its a real pain shutting on and off.

The only real gripe i have with the car is having to really slam the doors for the doors to shut
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
TV? Do you mean the Navigation map?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
swanich said:
IHowever i would love to be able to turn off the safety feature that disables TV once you pull off from a stop, I dont want to watch to TV whilst travelling at 200km/h but in traffic when you move one or two car lengths forward at say 10km/h its a real pain shutting on and off.
Don't like the safety feature huh? How about the US market safety feature: No TV at all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
swanich said:
However i would love to be able to turn off the safety feature that disables TV once you pull off from a stop, I dont want to watch to TV whilst travelling at 200km/h but in traffic when you move one or two car lengths forward at say 10km/h its a real pain shutting on and off.
So you can watch TV on the Nav system when the car is stopped?? This is the first time I've heard this feature!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Yeah, me too. Could it be a US disabled feature? So let me get this straight... you can watch television on your idrive screen while parked? Can you watch DVD movies as well? Never heard of this either. :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hey swanich congratulations!!!
My 325i is on order with Autobahn BMW, due in a few weeks.
I also considered the TV function, but was told you only get the 4 'public' stations (TV1,2,3 and etv) - you say you get CNN??? What stations are included?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Seriously, you buy a car to commute places, not to watch TV. We're already all distracted enough by cellphones, don't add TV to the mix. If someone drove into me while they were watching TV, I'd deck them and quite happily face the resulting lawsuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
charln said:
Hey swanich congratulations!!!
My 325i is on order with Autobahn BMW, due in a few weeks.
I also considered the TV function, but was told you only get the 4 'public' stations (TV1,2,3 and etv) - you say you get CNN??? What stations are included?
I used CNN merely as an example for an international flair, didnt want to confuse the topic with SABC 1, SABC 2, SABC 3, ETV, Mnet Open Time thats the four channels that display in SA

I will upload some pics i took on the drive home tonight of the TV.

DVD's DO NOT work, Region 1 nor Region 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
swanich said:
I used CNN merely as an example for an international flair, didnt want to confuse the topic with SABC 1, SABC 2, SABC 3, ETV, Mnet Open Time thats the four channels that display in SA

I will upload some pics i took on the drive home tonight of the TV.

DVD's DO NOT work, Region 1 nor Region 2
Thanks for the pics! Many will be wating for them. : popcorn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
batmanwagon said:
Seriously, you buy a car to commute places, not to watch TV. We're already all distracted enough by cellphones, don't add TV to the mix. If someone drove into me while they were watching TV, I'd deck them and quite happily face the resulting lawsuit.
I believe the OP indicated that they were not watching TV while driving.

I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement, from my experience, people in the US do a lot of dangerous acts while driving that most countries prohibit (cell phones for example). Probably one reason that the TV option is prohibited. Then again, it could be because people are so quick to slap a lawsuit on you that it's not worth the risk to BMW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Just for the record I hate you guys that get the TV option. Actually I'm really incredibly jealous and wish we could get that in the US. I know it's just a flagrant waste of money, but I sure wish I could watch some cartoons while stopped in traffic.

I also got the ACC option on my E90 and I believe the words "bitchin technology" escaped my lips many times the first few days I used it. It really is so nice to be able to set the cruise and not have to worry about all the knuckleheads that drive slow in the left lanes here in the US. It's so bad here that ordinary cruise control is almost worthless unless you want to just sit in the slow lane (not necessarily the right lane here).

Unfortunately I'm discovering the worst part of the European Delivery process. The wait until redelivery when you check the freight tracking web site 12 times a day to see where the ship with my car is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Is there anyway if I do ED to get this option enabled while i am cruising around in Germany?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
jboo said:
I believe the OP indicated that they were not watching TV while driving.

I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement, from my experience, people in the US do a lot of dangerous acts while driving that most countries prohibit (cell phones for example). Probably one reason that the TV option is prohibited. Then again, it could be because people are so quick to slap a lawsuit on you that it's not worth the risk to BMW.
I believe that he said it would be nice to have it work at 10km/h or so while in traffic - just the time when you really don't want to be distracted. My opinion (and yes, you can call it a leap to a judgement, I'm quite ok with that) is that the operator of a vehicle has no business watching TV when it is moving at all.

I also think you've reinforced my point - a lot of people do a lot of dangerous acts while driving; this would just add to the distraction factor. And I'll reiterate - if someone drove into my car because they were distracted by watching a TV instead of focusing on driving, I'd be exceedingly ticked off at them, quite possibly enough to take a swing at them :-/

And just to be clear: I'm talking specifically about a driver-viewable TV, not about a TV that is viewable only by rear-seat passengers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
batmanwagon said:
I believe that he said it would be nice to have it work at 10km/h or so while in traffic - just the time when you really don't want to be distracted. My opinion (and yes, you can call it a leap to a judgement, I'm quite ok with that) is that the operator of a vehicle has no business watching TV when it is moving at all.

I also think you've reinforced my point - a lot of people do a lot of dangerous acts while driving; this would just add to the distraction factor. And I'll reiterate - if someone drove into my car because they were distracted by watching a TV instead of focusing on driving, I'd be exceedingly ticked off at them, quite possibly enough to take a swing at them :-/

And just to be clear: I'm talking specifically about a driver-viewable TV, not about a TV that is viewable only by rear-seat passengers.
I'm with batmanwagon on this one. Driving = No TV. Not wearing a seat belt endangers yourself. Watching TV while driving endangers everyone around the driver too. I still think it would be cool to watch TV while parked, however, here in the US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did say up until 10km/h, as often you stop for a sec move forward for a sec, as my car is equiped with ACC i dont see why the car cant watch out and brake for me should i get close to rear ending the guy in front of me..

There must be a way of changing this setting!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I'm wasn't advocating watching TV while driving. I'd also be a little concerned about the TV option being offered if most of drivers around me everyday started driving at the age of 16, often have no formal training, normally have more disregard for rules, can drive vehicles unfit for the road, are allowed to talk on cell phones and can eat their lunch at the same time. I'd probably take a swing too.
 

·
Not Wearing Pants
Joined
·
13,832 Posts
batmanwagon said:
Seriously, you buy a car to commute places, not to watch TV. We're already all distracted enough by cellphones, don't add TV to the mix. If someone drove into me while they were watching TV, I'd deck them and quite happily face the resulting lawsuit.
Amen.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top