BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Last year I saw a pickup truck in which the driver had installed one of those portable LCD TV screns on top of the rearview mirror! Not only was he wandering left and right in his lane but also he had no way do see directly behind. Brilliant, really.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Well well well, I have had my car 6 days now and really getting well aquainted with the beast. I thought its now time for me to give back to the "fest" by answering as many questions as I possibly can. Although I have covered quite a bit of mileage, certain things are sometimes neither black or white in such cases you will have to go with my opininon :eeps:

My car was delivered with one fault: the voice control does not work, will give feedback once BMW has sorted it, I have been most impressed with my dealers assurance to remedy the fault and the provision of a courtesy car so as not to inconvience me! Well done Jeremy (Auto Atlantic V & A) !!! (in fairness he didnt deliver the car and organised delivery to my home town, so, he has in fact never seen my car)

Most of the questions in this forum have been about options and the first one I want to discuss is iDrive, i cannot emphasize how important this option is. What alot of people have mentioned is its "silly/confused/complicated/expensive etc etc" I have to disagree this car is designed for the "ipod generation" it is by no means complicated and 5mins at most is all that is needed to get to grips using it, the position of the controller is perfect and I find it comfortable and intuitive to use. I cannot imagine the car without it, the navigation is great (if a little overpriced) the car functionality is also expanded by this feature (setup etc.). furthermore the graphic display of the front and rear PDC via the screen is a nice touch and i have been using it quite a bit. Lastly having the telephone address book and caller ID coming up bold on the screen is huge plus to driving safely.

Active cruise control is another must, although i would say keep it for the automatics, i have a manual transmission so it couldve been better. But when its activated and following the car ahead it will definately impress! Driving on city highways with a speed set of about 150km/h you can never quite maintain that speed with all the idiots on SA roads but the car slows to the speeds and accelerates as and when the traffic pattern allow. BE WARNED the first few times you use it, it takes quite a bit of courage to let your car making braking decisions but the car soon wins ones trust!

The Logic 7 sound system is fantastic and i dont think 99% of the public will need anything more, i havent heard the standard sound on an E90 but the Logic 7 has excellent range and clarity.

Bluetooth: integrated without any problems with my Sony Ericsson T630 it uploaded the address book and again with iDrive is really easy to use whilst driving. The sound quality for both parties is superb and definately above par.

As already brought up PDC is a great feature but most people have had access to drive a car with such features so i wont discuss it.

Further options i have that i would say are worth it:
Sports Package: makes the car look like SEX ON WHEELS
Rear Electric Blind: a practical device thats easy to use and if you car spends anytime in the sun well worth it
Leather trim: the seats are comfortable , look and feel great and the smell inside is awesome!
TV Tuner: even thought the picture blanks out whilst driving been able to listen to TV traffic reports, news etc. is nice and something different from the normal crap on radio.

Driving the car, i have found the start/stop button really no problem and have got used to it, and quite like it.Push the button and the engine note is stunning, really unique to BMW and reason enough to get the 6cylinder over the 4 or oilburner! The car seems adequate powerwise at lower revs (remember Johannesburg is at 5000feet+ above sea level) but you only feel the "kick" at 3500+ revs at which time the car accelerates like the space shuttle. i have now driven at 215km/h the car feels as solid as an E46 does at 160km/h, it really does feel safe and in corners the amount of grip seems to be endless. In tighter roads the car is a whole lot of fun and again the steering is precise and the grip reassuring, the car makes you believe you are invincible and you get the impression all the electronics(skid control etc) are looking after you should your ambition outweigh your driving ability. After each trip you start making excuses and looking for places to drive to. I can honestly say the only annoyance from driving the car comes in with brake dust, i reckon i will be spending many weekends washing my rims!

In my opinion the car is almost perfect, BMW really needs to sort out the iPod integration urgently, Sirrius radio wouldve been great i really miss it, but we dont get coverage at the bottom of africa :bawling: i probably shouldve ordered Xenon lights and electric seats, but i am extremely happy and wouldnt trade it for the world!!!!

For those who have got their cars i trust you have had similar driving enjoyment, for those waiting for their E90's hang in there the wait is worth it! and for those who havent ordered one, what on earth are you waiting for? you live only once!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
batmanwagon said:
Seriously, you buy a car to commute places, not to watch TV. We're already all distracted enough by cellphones, don't add TV to the mix. If someone drove into me while they were watching TV, I'd deck them and quite happily face the resulting lawsuit.
I must be like a monk next to you guys. I often prefer simple silence and scenery rather than cell phone, radio and other gibberish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
swanich said:
The only real gripe i have with the car is having to really slam the doors for the doors to shut
Congrats on your purchase. Not sure if you've remedied this as you didn't mention it in your last post. As for your door concern. The doors don't shut properly because there is air trapped inside the car. If all the other windows and doors are closed, it creates a seal and when you go to close the door, excess air tries to escape and it slows down the door like an invisible barrier (resistance). You won't have trouble closing the door if one of the windows in the car is open a tiny bit.

And i'm on board with your review. This car is indeed amazing. I live 5.5 kms from my office and i have ridden my bike to work every summer. (I put only 6000km/year on my last car.) But now i find myself going 20 km out of the way to get to the office.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts