BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Service Engine Soon light came on again after re-setting twice within 100 miles. The fault code from the PeakeResearch fault code reader is "ob-28" "Catalyst Efficiency Cyl 1-4" So now after paying the indy repair shop a little more then 1k to replace the climate control unit (for details, see my post under '98 540 climate control) it looks like I may have to see if the cat on that side of the car is toast. Question: What side of the car do cyls. 1-4 belong, driver or passenger (US model)? I may crawl under and rap the cat on that side and see if it rattles inside. As a last resort, I may have the dealer put it onto their analyzer and see if it confirms my suspicion. If it is the cat, it looks like the dealer will have to take care of it since my car falls under the 8yr/80,000 mi threshold. The car seems to operate normally, no loss of power or any issues with the idle. After searching the entire forum, there wasn't a conclusive posting that really addressed this fault code. Any forum members ever have this fault code, and if so, what happened?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, now I know what the problem was before I brought my car into the dearler. While I was driving, I got the classic sounding "marbles in a can" or "popcorn" sound from underneath my car. I talked to the dealer SA about it and had them verify what my suspicions were and have the cat replaced under warranty as it is within the 8 yr/80,000 mile Federal emissions warranty. So when they raised the car up, one of the previous owners had replaced the cat with an after market cat. I guess they did not know about this particular emissions law and were scared off by what the cost of a OEM replacement would cost them. No warranty replacement for me! Anyway, it looks like I'll have to replace the cat with Magnaflow or Carsound cat now.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
bummer for you...these cars can cost us sometimes.... I will NEVER own a BMW out of some kind of warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts