BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've posted recently, my touring went through a couple mishaps recently, one involving a small mammal on the highway and another involving a hit and run while parked. I visited the claims adjuster today to sort everything out. It turns out that (as I expected and some people warned) the two separate damage incidents must constitute two separate claims, and hence two deductibles. The first was a comprehensive claim, and carried a $500 deductible, and the second was an "unisured motorist" claim, and carried a $200 deductible. The two repair estimates came to just over $3000, not including my investigating the cause of my CEL. The adjuster was very helpful, and noted the excellent condition of my car when pointing out that although aftermarket parts are their policy with vehicles of this age, he had requested the use of only OEM parts (my left Hella AE alone was $800).

Like everyone else who goes to a body shop with front end damage, I considered getting an mtech bumper. Since the insurance is covering both my stock bumper and my lip spoiler, the cost differential is negligible, but I decided against it. I know that there are a lot of m-bumper enthusiasts on this board (and I like them a lot myself), but I felt that it just didn't fit the character of my particular car. In order to make the mtech front look good, I would also need to do the rear, maybe get a drop (which I'm considering anyway), and get sportier wheels - the total cost is just outside of what I feel like spending right now. Does that make sense to everyone? I've thought about this for a while but would love some opinions.

Oh, the "uninsured motorist" claim also includes a rental, even though I don't have rental reimbursement coverage, so for the next 10 days I get to pimp around in a sweet bright-red Cobalt!!! (mods on the rental to follow :rofl:)

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
As I've posted recently, my touring went through a couple mishaps recently, one involving a small mammal on the highway and another involving a hit and run while parked. I visited the claims adjuster today to sort everything out. It turns out that (as I expected and some people warned) the two separate damage incidents must constitute two separate claims, and hence two deductibles. The first was a comprehensive claim, and carried a $500 deductible, and the second was an "unisured motorist" claim, and carried a $200 deductible. The two repair estimates came to just over $3000, not including my investigating the cause of my CEL. The adjuster was very helpful, and noted the excellent condition of my car when pointing out that although aftermarket parts are their policy with vehicles of this age, he had requested the use of only OEM parts (my left Hella AE alone was $800).

Like everyone else who goes to a body shop with front end damage, I considered getting an mtech bumper. Since the insurance is covering both my stock bumper and my lip spoiler, the cost differential is negligible, but I decided against it. I know that there are a lot of m-bumper enthusiasts on this board (and I like them a lot myself), but I felt that it just didn't fit the character of my particular car. In order to make the mtech front look good, I would also need to do the rear, maybe get a drop (which I'm considering anyway), and get sportier wheels - the total cost is just outside of what I feel like spending right now. Does that make sense to everyone? I've thought about this for a while but would love some opinions.

Oh, the "uninsured motorist" claim also includes a rental, even though I don't have rental reimbursement coverage, so for the next 10 days I get to pimp around in a sweet bright-red Cobalt!!! (mods on the rental to follow :rofl:)
glad to see everything worked....and

in for burnout videos in the rental cobalt!!

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
finally, someone else who isn't a fan of the MTech bumper.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the mtech bumper, I just don't think that 1. it's the only thing that looks good, and 2. it always looks good. The mtech would be sportier/more aggressive than my stock bumper (plus aero lip plus race mesh), the latter option, however, I feel complements the overall look of my car, which is understatedly sporty and classy.

Oh, and I bought a "mod" for the rental car - an aux in cable for my ipod. The Cobalt is growing on me, I'm seriously considering turboing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts