BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday I got rear ended three mos. to the day from the last love tap, that just resulted in a repainted rear bumper. This one will have some more damage. I was stopped, in drive, foot on the brake and the inattentive girl slammed me into the car in front of me. No apparent damage on the front, rear bumper looks bad, sunroof inner shade is misaligned and I think the tranny sounds like a helicopter when stopped at a red light now. After the police came and we were all done with paperwork, I dropped the car off at the dealer for a good going over. They haven't called back yet. Anyone ever have any auto tranny damage from a hit like this?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You sure it's the tranny and not the diff?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure of anything. I didn't look under the car except for fluid leaks.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Initial diagnosis is that my entire exhaust was pushed forward and bent up. That might explain the helicopter noise when sitting at red lights. They said the tranny appears to be fine. State Farm has said they take responsibility for it, so I think they'll make things right. I need to call them and put them in touch with the dealer today.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, the dealer is telling me they noticed my serpentine belts were pretty worn while there were inspecting the damage. Question now is whether my manifolds are tweaked when they pull the whole exhaust off and try to fit the new one up to the flanges. Service advisor says this is the time to do the belts, if they have to remove the manifolds, since insur. is already paying the labor. Is this true? How tough a job is this if I decide to DIY it later on? And if they don't have to remove the manifolds, he said they'd make me a deal on doing the belts. Not sure what that means. How much can I DIY this for and with how much headache?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I don't understand what "manifolds" they are talking about and how they are at all related to the belts.

Replacing the belts is a 20-30 minute job on a manual transmission and maybe 45 minutes on an automatic transmission (a special tool *is* required if you have an auto - the 'fan clutch tool').

...but while you're replacing the belts, you might as well change the coolant and replace the thermostat and water pump...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, that's what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if the service rep. was talking about some other belts. I'll try to have a look at it on the lift tomorrow. If it's gonna be dirt cheap, I might let them do it. If not, I'll stock up on the parts and tools and start planning the DIY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts