BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
My guess is the auto body shop your dealer recommended will want about what you paid for the car. Usually the dealer only recommends hi-end shops.
You need to take it to a rundown shop in the seedy part of town. Look at the cars they are working on, see what their repairs and paint jobs look like.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Since it was a recent purchase you may get what you paid for it if the insurance company totals it, which they likely will. Getting more money takes patience, diligence and time. These are qualities that most people don't possess.

Your insurance likely won't do much for you since (hopefully) it is determined the Volvo driver is at fault.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well you are going to have to work with somebody's insurance Co. But go slow. Did you get a police report?

I would speak with your insurance co first and see what the appropriate course of action is. In many cases, your insurance co. will work with the other driver's insurance co.

I would not bother getting an estimate right now.

The best outcome is that one of the insurance companies pays to have it repaired.

But be prepared. While the damage from the single picture looks relatively minor, I bet it is at least $5k of body work.
And if it's at least $5k of body work, an insurance may try to "total" it. If they do that, they may offer you two amounts.

1. take your car and pay you what they think it is worth.
2. Pay you a slightly lower amount and let you keep it.

you can select option #2 and use the money you got to go get it fixed.
But, if they total it, it will likely end up with a salvage title (reported by insurance co)
If you want to keep and drive it, this is okay. However, it will hurt resale value.
Question– do you know what they do with cars they take possession of it? I assume they'd re-sell it, or maybe the insurance company has its own subsidiary company as a used car dealer?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,207 Posts
Question– do you know what they do with cars they take possession of it? I assume they'd re-sell it, or maybe the insurance company has its own subsidiary company as a used car dealer?
Since it appears that the cost of repair exceeds a reasonable fraction of the value of the vehicle, why would they not junk it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
They auction them off. They never even take physical possession of them - they are towed straight to the auction yard. Google ‘Copart’ and ‘IAAI’ - those are the biggest names in the business.

It is of course your car and you are not required to surrender it. However, you’ll then have to negotiate a reduced settlement.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,900 Posts
Oh yeah

Oh yeah I didn't get a police report. I called but they said it was optional for officers to come out. I did shoot a short video though showing the damage & position of the cars, and the other drive lives in my building. But I thought that if I tell my insurance company (Geico) about an accident, that would cause MY rates to go up. Not sure if that's the case if it wasn't my fault.
(first, what state???)

YOU MUST tell your insurer. Your rates should only go up if you are at fault. If you delay you can screw up your rights. Tell them, make it clear how it happen and demand they investigate and determine who is at fault (the othewr guy).. Dont tell them you are making a claim yet. But be careful, they arent lookign out for you.

This driving around and fining stuff is REALLY going to undermine your case. Take it to a shop, ask them for an estimate. Tell tehm it isnt going though insurnace (yet) so you dont wqant to give them your details nor do you want them to report it. Just to see if the otehr part will pay. See how that goes. The idea is to get SOME kind of stake in the ground.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm following this. I just put an agreed value policy on the wagon and it was super cheap. I went with only 5000 miles per year but could go up to 7500. Could be an option for others if you don't daily your e39

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
I'm following this. I just put an agreed value policy on the wagon and it was super cheap. I went with only 5000 miles per year but could go up to 7500. Could be an option for others if you don't daily your e39

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Agreed value policies are the only way to go for high value, and specialty cars. Super nice condition E39s would fall under this...but most agreed value or stated value policies are limited to "pleasure" vehicles and not daily drivers. They also usually have mileage limits, require you have a secure garage, and proof of a "daily driver". But prices are reasonable for the policies, and coverage limits can be as high as you want (and can afford). I have always used them on Ferraris I have owned...even had a couple claims and worked out fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
(first, what state???)

This driving around and fining stuff is REALLY going to undermine your case. Take it to a shop, ask them for an estimate.
I'm in California.
What do you mean by "This driving around and fining stuff is REALLY going to undermine your case"? You mean getting various repair estimates would undermine my case??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Since it appears that the cost of repair exceeds a reasonable fraction of the value of the vehicle, why would they not junk it?
Well I have no intention of giving up my car. It really was in SUPERB condition whenI got it. A couple minor blemishes here and there, but mechanically itt's in excellent shape. Zero leaks of any kind, no oil burn at all. If I put in 6.5 quarts + 3 tablesppons of oil and drained it in a couple months and measured, it would still be 6.5 quarts and 3 tablespoons. The coolant is the only thing that goes down ever so slightly. But it's hot as heck here in SoCal. I just add a few sips here and there and she's good to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OP what's the latest? Have you had a convo with any insurance co? Yours or the other guy's?
Well the latest is, drumroll...Five days after getting rear-ended, I was hit a SECOND time by another driver! Front right fender this time. T-bone accident, I had the right-of-way. So I've been running around getting estimates for BOTH.

Rear end: from $4400-$5700 (two estimates so far).
Front fender & bumper: 5 estimates ranging from $2600-$4300.

The first driver's insurance only offered to pay 50%, claiming I was partially at fault. I declined and might sue the driver for 100% of damages since he wasn't looking where he was going. The second driver appears to be uninsured. But I know where she lives and will sue her too if she doesn't cough up the money. I don't know what I did to deserve all this 😭. At least it's still perfectly driveable though!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Wow, no luck would be better than what you have.
You may be able to find a fender and bumper in the junkyard, they are just bolted on, easy to remove.
If you can’t find your exact color just get it painted.
Good luck.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts