BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know many swear by this device, so I bought one at Curry's to try it out. Install was simple (I did it while getting gas on the way home), but I found that the bolt provided was too long; even screwed all the way in, the clutch wasn't completely disengaging.

After Dremeling off a 1/4 inch, I was able to get the stop set up properly. However, I found that the presence of the stop was much more of an annoyance than a help. I was not able to shift any faster, as the shift time was still largely dictated by rowing the shift lever, rather than disengaging the clutch. I actually thought I was less smooth, as the stop interfered with my normal rhythm (though this would probably change with more experience). Last, I found that the presence of the stop made the clutch MUCH harder to hold fully depressed, as the pedal did not go down far enough to allow my leg to fully extend (meaning that I had to work harder to hold it).

I drove in traffic with it today, and finally had enough of it about half-way through my commute. I may Dremel it down farther, so that it just serves as a beefier version of the stock piece, or I may just abandon it altogether.

G

·
JST said:
I know many swear by this device, so I bought one at Curry's to try it out. Install was simple (I did it while getting gas on the way home), but I found that the bolt provided was too long; even screwed all the way in, the clutch wasn't completely disengaging.

After Dremeling off a 1/4 inch, I was able to get the stop set up properly. However, I found that the presence of the stop was much more of an annoyance than a help. I was not able to shift any faster, as the shift time was still largely dictated by rowing the shift lever, rather than disengaging the clutch. I actually thought I was less smooth, as the stop interfered with my normal rhythm (though this would probably change with more experience). Last, I found that the presence of the stop made the clutch MUCH harder to hold fully depressed, as the pedal did not go down far enough to allow my leg to fully extend (meaning that I had to work harder to hold it).

I drove in traffic with it today, and finally had enough of it about half-way through my commute. I may Dremel it down farther, so that it just serves as a beefier version of the stock piece, or I may just abandon it altogether.
Odd. Mine doesn't get in the way at all, although I do have it dialed down a bit. And you've driven my car and never remarked about it. I wonder what is different.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Got rid of UUC clutch stop

Holden said:

Odd. Mine doesn't get in the way at all, although I do have it dialed down a bit. And you've driven my car and never remarked about it. I wonder what is different.
I haven't driven your car in traffic; maybe I would notice it more if I had to hold the clutch down for long periods of time. And since you had it on your 330, you're probably a lot more used to it than I. I imagine that many of my issues would go away with familiarity. Unlike with the 330, though, I don't think that the stop provides a smoothness dividend with the M3, so I don't really see the benefit of acclimating myself to it.

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Got rid of UUC clutch stop

JST said:

I haven't driven your car in traffic; maybe I would notice it more if I had to hold the clutch down for long periods of time. And since you had it on your 330, you're probably a lot more used to it than I. I imagine that many of my issues would go away with familiarity. Unlike with the 330, though, I don't think that the stop provides a smoothness dividend with the M3, so I don't really see the benefit of acclimating myself to it.
I am, more or less, using mine as a beefed up stock stop. It's really only marginally higher than the stock stop was (not nearly as high as it was on the 330i) as, I agree, it really isn't as needed on the E36. But as I already owned it, putting it in the M3 was not a major decision.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
JST, your clutch is not quite like mine. Your engage / release point seems to be right off the floor, so there is no point in having a clutch stop. Mine releases in the first inch of pedal movement, which is what you want for quick shifts and to keep your legs from working so hard. I would look into an adjustment to see if you can move your release point higher, then take advantage of the UUC stop.

I installed the BigBoy from UUC in my E30 and wish it would extend up ½ an inch more. When it is as high as it goes it is still about twice as far down as it needs to be. I screwed it in just enough to make sure it would not come loose.

In my 330Ci it was about ½ an inch lower, but still very useful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts