BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, (apologize for the long post)

Had a massive vibration when braking in my ' 15 535, which was increasingly getting worse. Figured no big deal, just a bad rotor, but at 12,000 miles, okay whatever... Took it to dealer to address this and perform scheduled maintenance and they come back stating rust is causing the vibration and was noted on all four rotors. I think no big deal, you've identified the problem - now fix it, right? Service rep tell me unfortunately, it is not covered under warranty as it is due to lack of use and the cost to fix will be in excess of $1,800. Working on my own cars the better part of my life, I ask him to explain if it's rust on the rotor how it is not knocked off with a few good stops and that cast iron tends to rust if he had not heard. He tells me that since I am the second owner (bought it with 5,500 miles on it) and the mileage is too low based on the build date - (he actually pulled a car fax report on my car) it was essentially not used enough and the rust was caused by "lot rot." Now by rust I mean a build up on the surface area of the rotor, front and back side, where the pads engage the disc - not on the hubs. Almost entirely grooved on both sides of the rotor. I call BMW customer care and the 15 year-old kid who answers tells me that whatever the dealer says - they will follow and I have no other options. He knew less about cars than my wife. I almost thought they were joking for a minute. Left the dealer telling myself I should have bought a Ford. Not the customer service I had anticipated from the prestigious BMW. Somebody tell me where it states in the warranty that a certain number of miles have to be driven or coverage is void. Miles in excess of your warranty, sure. Under it? Please. What if I was an older gentleman driving to the grocery store and church and the like? Then that affects my warranty because I do not drive it enough. I've never heard of such ridiculous garbage - The judge is going to love this one! :thumbdwn: What say you?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
That's total B.S. Take it to another Dealer.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
What say you?
OK first off, Service Advisors are often hired from prison work release programs and psychiatric half-way houses, as those people have the requisite skills to separate customers from ready cash.

That said, um.......HUH? Yes they are not responsible for rust. No rust isn't gonna cause severe brake shudder. Yes a morning's use oughtta clean oxidation right off the swept area.

Try a few high speed stops, maybe emery cloth swept rotor area. And if you want to replace 'em, $1800 is robbery with a pen! Here's what to do - adapt for your model:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I love, love my 2014 550 but I hate, hate the whole BMW dealership experience. It's bad enough that I am moving away from BMW. I think I am like most people...it's an awesome car with loads of performance and technology. Asking so much of a vehicle you can expect some problems (it's a finely tuned machine - like me, lol). I can accept a few more issues with the car, but why OH why does the dealership have to be so bad?

It is borderline insulting and/or combative. I too had a problem and called BMW NA, just like wingz99 says...they just referenced "whatever the dealer says". "But I am calling you because the dealer is being unreasonable and hopefully you can help resolve an issue"..."no sir, you'll need to work through your local dealer".

Farewell BMW, hello Lexus.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I love, love my 2014 550 but I hate, hate the whole BMW dealership experience. It's bad enough that I am moving away from BMW. I think I am like most people...it's an awesome car with loads of performance and technology. Asking so much of a vehicle you can expect some problems (it's a finely tuned machine - like me, lol). I can accept a few more issues with the car, but why OH why does the dealership have to be so bad?

It is borderline insulting and/or combative. I too had a problem and called BMW NA, just like wingz99 says...they just referenced "whatever the dealer says". "But I am calling you because the dealer is being unreasonable and hopefully you can help resolve an issue"..."no sir, you'll need to work through your local dealer".

Farewell BMW, hello Lexus.
Did you lease or purchase your car?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Unfortunately, a lot of the time, that is what BMW service is like. I have seen BMW service decline rapidly since I purchased my first BMW in 2001 (and a new one almost every 3 years thereafter up to 2014, which is my current car). In the early to mid 2000s, if I had a problem with my car, they would do whatever they could to fix it. I remember that they almost took apart my whole car looking to resolve a tiny rattle that was bugging me. Now when I ask for the same, they look at me like I am crazy and just tell me that the sound is normal. The brakes on my 2011 335 were squeaking and it sounded like I was driving a 2-decade old Chrysler -- BMW's response -- high performance brakes make that sound. Now, they certainly didn't make that sound on my 2007 335, and they were the same brakes, but that is the type of service I have been experiencing. I am also having to wait up to 3 weeks for service appointments these days, which I find unacceptable.

I could be wrong, and this is nothing but pure speculation, but my view is that because BMW has become so big over the last few years with so many new "cheap" model vehicles that cater to people who want the BMW badge on their car but don't care about the driving dynamics of what used to make a BMW a BMW, the entire BMW experience, notably the service department, has been downgraded to accommodate for the lowest common denominator and to keep the service department as a high-profit centre. I get treated the same way at service in my near $100k 5-series as the person servicing their $24k 1-series. Dealerships in Toronto now try to charge for a loaner car -- $50 a day! This is not what my friends and colleagues who drive the competition experience. It is a shame as it can truly have a negative effect on the entire brand. While not related to service specifically, there have been enough changes to BMW vehicles and the BMW experience generally since I started driving them that BMW barely even got a second look when deciding to purchase a new SUV -- and it certainly wasn't the winner -- the Range Rover Sport SCV8 got my money this year.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm with the rest of the guys who say "take it to another dealer". Total BS.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,481 Posts
I agree that another dealer should be sought out.
There are bad dealers and good dealers. The bad ones get complained about on forums but we rarely hear about the good ones. I have dealt with three different dealers. Two were just fine, and the third not so fine. My current dealer is very good, expensive on non warranty service but not outrageously more expensive than the independent I use for my 08 E61. They are fair on sales/leases (but not the lowest), responsive in service and always provide a loaner as long as you ask in advance. If not, I am 15 minutes away and they have picked me up and/or dropped me off as well. They recently gave me a 750ix for an extended 2 day test drive even though my F10 lease is not up for 8 months. Then again I have not had any major issues. And there are many dealers in my area. Competition is good for consumers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Makes me kinda of glad my car has 70k miles and I don't have to deal with my local service department. The parts counter on the other hand has always been great to me (BMW CCA discount). They always seem kin of amused that someone is doing their own work on a 2012 model year car.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Makes me kinda of glad my car has 70k miles and I don't have to deal with my local service department. The parts counter on the other hand has always been great to me (BMW CCA discount). They always seem kin of amused that someone is doing their own work on a 2012 model year car.
I could of wrote this exact same thing, miles and year included. Last time I was in for a part at the dealer, the parts guy said "it must be exciting to do your own work" :rofl:

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Most of the time it is not the dealership but BMW who is denying the warranty claim. If the rusted rotor was on a Lexus, there would be no questions ask before the dealer replace them. People buy Lexus for their customer service and reliability, unlike German cars owners who buy their cars for different reasons.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yep, the old saying - you lease a BMW and you buy a Lexus.

Even the guys in the BMW service department state that you shouldn't own one without a warranty!

My 2014 is a lease (someone asked earlier).

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
I'm with the rest of the guys who say "take it to another dealer". Total BS.
Whoaaaa boys....pull back on them reins! Let's scrub the disc swept area of brake pad buildup, oft the cause o'pulsing.

Do those high speed stops and/or emery cloth rigorously applied - she'll be right. And be certain your lug bolts are re-torqued to spec.

What, still?! Better have a good look at those bushings - if loose or black goo o'death, trouble! I know - it's a dirty job, but if you want it done right......

Love Hurts.gif

·
Registered
327 Posts
Difficult to fathom that a 2015 with 12,000 miles suffers from 'lack of use.'. If true, that dealer would probably pronounce my 2015 legally dead.

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
875 Posts
Also good practice other than lightly hand finishing the rotors is a touch up to sand off the pads a bit with sandpaper just to clean up the surface from imbedded rusty particles so it does not reapply itself to the rotors again...

Then run in as with new brakes... worked for me at least...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts